GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not Volt related but interesting story about Tesla's sales efforts. My son has a 2 year old Model S with about 22,000 miles. Been a great car and no issues but he always lamented the release of the AWD model not long after he took delivery of his RWD car. He was on the Tesla website a few weeks ago playing around with the build your own function just for kicks and giggles with no intention of trading his car. The next day he received a call from Tesla which was prompted by his visit to their website. He told the caller he was just fooling around but one thing led to another and now he is the owner of a new AWD Model S. Basically they took his car as a trade and kept his payment to about the same as it was on the older model. He will also get our state EV rebate and Federal tax credit.... win/win for him. He is thrilled with the extra range and quickness of the new car, and he especially loves the Adaptive Cruise. He said it works great as does the self parking feature. He has tried the Auto Drive and says it works well also but he only uses it on late night returns from his job when the highway is relatively clear. I've been on the Chevy website playing with the build your own function but funny thing... no calls from Chevy or my dealer. Kudos to Tesla!

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Great your son scored a deal he's happy with. It's pretty clear from the new lower priced model and the new referral program that demand is soft. Nothing too surprising about this. There is simply a limited number of folks willing to spend that much money on any car, and an electric car isn't going to appeal to everyone.

I was going to suggest to my neighbor that she get the new Model S for her husband who has been lusting after one -- he's putting on a ton of miles so the numbers would work out OK -- but the whole suspension issue has given me pause. But if that gets sorted it's likely a good time to be shopping for a Model S. You just need to get the base and lay off the options.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I've been on the Chevy website playing with the build your own function but funny thing... no calls from Chevy or my dealer. Kudos to Tesla!
I have to go out of my way not to give them any personal information specifically so they will not contact me. GM and Tesla websites.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Teala is moving to more active sales actions. They also released a new lower priced MS 60. They gave a high guidance number for sales and I would not be afraid to say they will call all existing owners to get trade ins going. The number most important is new car sales. Keeping a car long term for sustainable transportation will have to wait. They need to make more sales of new units. Some owners have traded in twice so far for newer offerings.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
He was on the Tesla website a few weeks ago playing around with the build your own function just for kicks and giggles with no intention of trading his car...........I've been on the Chevy website playing with the build your own function but funny thing... no calls from Chevy or my dealer. Kudos to Tesla!
For what? Farming personal information?

They gave a high guidance number for sales and I would not be afraid to say they will call all existing owners to get trade ins going.
I would be royally pissed if any car dealer/manufacturer started telemarketing my house. As it is I get crap in the mail too often marked "important blah blah blah". Today I got one that announced I can now trade in my '14 Volt on a new 2016! Oops, no I can't. On a '17 maybe - I'm not in a ZEV state.

I get them for my Silverado too, and last week somehow Hyundai got my name and address and pulled the same thing - more "important information". Probably got my information from the same place the aftermarket warranty people get it. The warranty jerks DO call my house.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I sure hope the depreciation on the first car was offset by the fed tax credit and possible state rebate on the second one. But the worrisome part is that they kept the payment the same which means they reset the counter on your loan adding at least another 2 years of payments and they might have also given it a longer term (84 and 96 month leases are starting to become popular).

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I sure hope the depreciation on the first car was offset by the fed tax credit and possible state rebate on the second one. But the worrisome part is that they kept the payment the same which means they reset the counter on your loan adding at least another 2 years of payments and they might have also given it a longer term (84 and 96 month leases are starting to become popular).
You mean loans, right? GM Financial leases out to 48 months.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I checked out what's in stock at the local Tesla store, Chicago. A bunch of 90D's with leases like 8000 due at signing, 1600/month for 10,000 miles per year.

How many customers can you have for something that expensive?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I checked out what's in stock at the local Tesla store, Chicago. A bunch of 90D's with leases like 8000 due at signing, 1600/month for 10,000 miles per year.

How many customers can you have for something that expensive?
Exactly - everyone raves about Tesla but the fact of the matter is they are way too expensive for the vast majority of the people out there. For all intents and purposes, it's a high end luxury vehicle and it's why it always drives me nuts when people try to compare Nissan, Fiat, Chevy, Ford, etc. to Tesla - it's madness. They cost nearly twice as much as the other car makers, how is that a fair comparison? The new Model 3 maybe, but not the high end models.

·
Super Moderator
6,224 Posts
Exactly - everyone raves about Tesla but the fact of the matter is they are way too expensive for the vast majority of the people out there. For all intents and purposes, it's a high end luxury vehicle and it's why it always drives me nuts when people try to compare Nissan, Fiat, Chevy, Ford, etc. to Tesla - it's madness. They cost nearly twice as much as the other car makers, how is that a fair comparison? The new Model 3 maybe, but not the high end models.
(To be clear I didn't think Tesla would make it back when I bought my 2011 Volt and spent hours and hours on this site. Once they delivered the Model S in numbers I started to take them seriously)

Title: The Secret Tesla Motors Master Plan (just between you and me)
Elon Musk, Co-Founder & CEO of Tesla Motors August 2, 2006 (10 years ago).
https://www.teslamotors.com/blog/secret-tesla-motors-master-plan-just-between-you-and-me

So, in short, the master plan is:

1 Build sports car
2a Use that money to build an affordable [luxury] car
2b [Use that money to build an affordable [luxury] CUV/SUV because that type is are so popular]
3 Use that money to build an even more affordable car
While doing above, also provide zero emission electric power generation options
Don't tell anyone.
Image: http://i.imgur.com/GROBU1u.png

Via: http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2016/02/06/can-you-guess-2015s-top-selling-large-luxury-car-i.aspx

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
No doubt, and I don't think anyone has ever suggested the the Model S/X is going to be bought by everyone.
The comparisons happen because all the cars being compared have a plug.
It is early in the evolution of EVs, and while there are so few of them (especially outside of California) they will be compared.

As for the general sentiment, Tesla is still selling the S and X as fast as they can make them. There is a lot of room left in the luxury auto market.

Tesla has been playing around with referral bonuses for almost a year now.
They try something for a couple of months, then take a look at how it workered out, revise the referral program and try it again.
If they can find a good program that works well, both for Tesla, the buyer and the owner, they can rely more on that than Tesla Stores.
This would mean they can focus more on expanding service centers rather than Stores.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't share my son's story to compare a Chevy Volt to a Tesla Model S. I just thought it was interesting that Tesla took the initiative to contact my son and put him in a new car with all the bells and whistles he was missing, and at an acceptable price. He is not the average car buyer obviously, but for him Tesla exceeds anything offered by other high end makes and models. During his years as a Navy F-18 fighter pilot he drove a used 1992 Lexus LS-400 which he gave to my grandson when he bought the first Tesla. His experience with Tesla the product and Tesla the Company has been excellent in every way. I really didn't think Tesla would make it when he decided to buy, and they are still not out of the woods. However, they treat their customers with much more respect than I have experienced with my local Chevrolet Dealers. In my opinion that will get them to the next step in their evolution. Just for the record, I love my Volt. Best car I ever owned and I have no intention of buying a Tesla or any other car for that matter.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Considering the fact that Volt sales peaked in 2012 at 23,461 and have been falling every year since then (just 15,393 last year) , maybe GM should consider doing a bit more "fishing" for buyers.

Simple, GM does not have to fish for buyers :)

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Just a note on Volt sales YTD. For the past several years, January to May sales:

2016 7861
2015 4397
2014 6838
2013 7157
2012 7057
2011 2184

In other words, 2016 is off to a great start and if sales trend up as the year goes on, as they have in past years, we could have a pretty good year for Volt sales.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Considering the fact that Volt sales peaked in 2012 at 23,461 and have been falling every year since then (just 15,393 last year) , maybe GM should consider doing a bit more "fishing" for buyers.
That goes pretty much across the board.

Let's have a look at what the real peak is right now for Volt (2016 by month vs highest ever by month):

Jan 2016 - 996
Jan 2013 - 1140

Feb 2016 - 1126
Feb 2013 - 1626

Mar 2016 - 1865
Mar '13 & '14 - 1478

Apr 2016 - 1983
Apr 2014 - 1548

May 2016 - 1901
May 2014 - 1684

Seems like since the full rollout of the '17, Volt sells better than ever, and has outsold Tesla S for the past 2 months.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Title: The Secret Tesla Motors Master Plan (just between you and me)
What's funny is that Tesla has never made any money on the Roadster or the Model S. All the needed capital has come from equity offerings or loans. So "the plan" hasn't worked out at all. It does, however, make for a good story. The story needs to remain good because the day the capital markets stop providing Tesla free money is the day it heads for bankruptcy. It can't generate enough capital from sales.

Tesla really is in four markets: USA, Europe, Norway, and China. Sales in the US are very good. Sales in Norway are superb. Sales in the EU are OK. And sales in China aren't so great. I break out Norway from the EU because for a tiny country, due to subsidies and taxes, it's responsible for 25% of all European sales. Something of an anomaly. You could make an argument for breaking out California sales from the rest of the USA but that seems debatable.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts