GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
A well deserved award. Tesla has plenty of faults but their cars are very cool. As the production numbers for the 3 rise, so does the probability that Tesla world wide sales will continue to grow at 30% or more per year. That gets interesting real fast.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Reality check:

BrandZ™

How We Can Help Grow Brand Value

Unlike other brand rankings, BrandZ is 100 % customer centric.

Never heard of them, but it sounds opinion based.
Opinions are like xxx, everybody has one and they all stink.

Score on this one:
T -1 -- GM - 0.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
The ability to sell stock rather than cars as your primary income is groundbreaking?

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
If you are building a Gigafactory and designing the 3 while setting the stage for preliminary design work for the Y, then selling stock is pretty important. Tesla has the cachet they need to jump into the big league as long as they don't hang fire on the delivery of a well built, popular Model 3 in large numbers.
GM doesn't appear to want to sell many electric cars, Tesla does. 30k a year is a nice start, but it isn't the big leagues.
Tesla is building capacity as quickly as they are building cars and that takes a lot of cash.

The ability to sell stock rather than cars as your primary income is groundbreaking?

·
Registered
657 Posts
I think it is the approach that Tesla has taken that is the "groundbreaking" aspect of their business. They have sparked growth and interest in electric cars and trucks as well as the idea of autonomous vehicles and other manufacturers are taking notice and acting on it.
Even the dealership model and direct sales are having effects. Tesla has fueled changes not just here at home, but worldwide. Pretty amazing how quickly the change is coming.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
If you are building a Gigafactory and designing the 3 while setting the stage for preliminary design work for the Y, then selling stock is pretty important. Tesla has the cachet they need to jump into the big league as long as they don't hang fire on the delivery of a well built, popular Model 3 in large numbers.
GM doesn't appear to want to sell many electric cars, Tesla does. 30k a year is a nice start, but it isn't the big leagues.
Tesla is building capacity as quickly as they are building cars and that takes a lot of cash.
I have no idea where you get your numbers from but:

In the USA alone, in 11 months, with partial rollout, GM has sold more than 38,000 EVs (haters - The Volt is an EV, it just happens to be the most advanced one so far)

Tesla has sold 41k units in US (estimate, Tesla does not release actual sales numbers).

Building a factory that does not operate efficiently is not a feather in your cap.

There are more GM EVs on the road in the US than Teslas.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Hey dave wasn't there 3 GM cars on that list of 10?
CR has never said a GM or Ford was the highest level of quality ever tested either.

CR did say the Tesla Model S was a gift from the Gods and 100x better anything made by mortal humans. It rated so high that it broke their Ultimate Quality Scale.

An impartial reader would assume there was a kickback involved in the initial report, or Tesla submitted a 'ringer'.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I hear what you are saying, Qinsp, but it seems like GM is just behind Tesla and falling further behind by the year. GM peaked their production and sales of the Volt in 2012 when they sold 24k here in the US and 5k abroad. This is the first year that they are going to beat that worldwide sales figure.
Tesla sold approximately 31.5k cars in 2014, 50.5k in 2015, 76.2k in 2016 and are on track to sell about 97k this year.
So GM's sales for 2017 were 20%+ behind what Tesla sold in 2015. I could see GM selling 50k Bolts, Volts and CT6's next year, maybe. But Tesla will sell at least 150k cars, and they will probably end up selling over 200k.
I love my Volt but GM is kind of getting left behind. They need the Buick Encore-like BEV and they need it soon. The Bolt is a very nice car on an excellent platform. They need to add something to the package (sexier looks or sportier look?) and maybe they will get a bit more buzz.

In the USA alone, in 11 months, with partial rollout, GM has sold more than 38,000 EVs (haters - The Volt is an EV, it just happens to be the most advanced one so far)

Tesla has sold 41k units in US (estimate, Tesla does not release actual sales numbers).

Building a factory that does not operate efficiently is not a feather in your cap.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
CR has never said a GM or Ford was the highest level of quality ever tested either.
On the list is on the list. It's not a competition at this level of quality.

CR did say the Tesla Model S was a gift from the Gods and 100x better anything made by mortal humans. It rated so high that it broke their Ultimate Quality Scale.
Until they didn't.

·
Banned
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That wasn't the subject. Would you like to post a thread about it?
Neither was your post. What exactly did posting a consumer reports have to do with Tesla innovation? It was just another way to try and degrade Tesla accomplishments.

Just like when I posted the fact that Tesla built the largest battery in the world and did it in less time than was allotted. Your only reply to that was "the battery isn't big enough to meet all the needs" which had nothing to do with Tesla as they just made the world's largest battery storage in history and have nothing to do with the wind production that feeds it.

I don't quite understand the constant hate on Tesla as they have done a lot of great things. Maybe it is just jealousy that they are ranked the #1 most innovative company yet again.

·
Banned
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On the list is on the list. It's not a competition at this level of quality.

Until they didn't.
Tesla is still one of the highest rated cars by their users that CR has ever had.

I am sure Tesla paid them a bunch to get that initial rating along with getting them to give the Volt which I love a poor rating. That is until I remove my tin foil hat.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Tesla updates Model 3 software with radio, odometer, and more

I find it fascinating that Tesla releases a new vehicle like that with the software clearly in beta. I suppose it plays right into their plan to first release the vehicle to employees in order to work out the early issues. I suppose we are going to have a better idea of how well it played out after their first few regular customer deliveries.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Reality check:

BrandZ™

How We Can Help Grow Brand Value

Unlike other brand rankings, BrandZ is 100 % customer centric.

Never heard of them, but it sounds opinion based.
Opinions are like xxx, everybody has one and they all stink.

Score on this one:
T -1 -- GM - 0.
BrandZ uses its own internal survey of “2 million consumers in 30 different countries” to assess brand strength....Its competitor is Interbrand and there is the authenticity of IT being the first proper brand consulting firm and the only name that most CEOs recognise when it comes to branding.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
BrandZ uses its own internal survey of “2 million consumers in 30 different countries” to assess brand strength....Its competitor is Interbrand and there is the authenticity of IT being the first proper brand consulting firm and the only name that most CEOs recognise when it comes to branding.
The credibility of the Interbrand and BrandZ league tables have been cast into doubt by an article written in Marketing Week by Mark Ritson. The lack of clear definitions and valuation dates in the both companies methodology raise questions about the subjectivity involved in brand valuations. Being part of multinational advertising groups, Interbrand and Kantar Millward Brown also suffer from the risk of objectivity. Transparency and objectivity are two of the requirements of the ISO 10668 standard of monetary brand valuations.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BrandZ

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

This article reads like a press release or a news article or is entirely based on routine coverage. Please expand this article with properly sourced content to meet Wikipedia's quality standards, event notability guideline, or encyclopedic content policy. (June 2014)
Question book-new.svg
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. Please improve this by adding secondary or tertiary sources. (June 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)

Notice this has never been updated...:rolleyes:

https://www.marketingweek.com/2015/12/08/brand-valuation-brilliant-or-bull****/

https://www.brandingstrategyinsider.com/author/mark-ritson

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I hear what you are saying, Qinsp, but it seems like GM is just behind Tesla and falling further behind by the year. GM peaked their production and sales of the Volt in 2012 when they sold 24k here in the US and 5k abroad. This is the first year that they are going to beat that worldwide sales figure.
Tesla sold approximately 31.5k cars in 2014, 50.5k in 2015, 76.2k in 2016 and are on track to sell about 97k this year.
So GM's sales for 2017 were 20%+ behind what Tesla sold in 2015. I could see GM selling 50k Bolts, Volts and CT6's next year, maybe. But Tesla will sell at least 150k cars, and they will probably end up selling over 200k.
I love my Volt but GM is kind of getting left behind. They need the Buick Encore-like BEV and they need it soon. The Bolt is a very nice car on an excellent platform. They need to add something to the package (sexier looks or sportier look?) and maybe they will get a bit more buzz.

GM more or less ignored Tesla because Tesla was for the longest time a tiny company making luxury, super niche vehicles.
Now that GM has recently decided they want to kick Tesla's ass, Tesla is in some serious trouble. GM already eclipsed Tesla on self driving efforts in less than 3 years (where are the autonomous Tesla's that can drive SF by themselves, fanbois?)

GM already beat Tesla to the 200 mile, <$40k punch, surpassed Tesla in AV development....all Tesla really has is to rely on its brainless zombie cult crowd of fans and investors that allow their brains to be blown out of their skulls with shiny red objects. :rolleyes:

http://www.businessinsider.com/teslas-biggest-threat-now-gm-2017-11

1 - 20 of 23 Posts