GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a petition on Whitehouse.gov to "allow Tesla Motors to sell directly to consumers in all 50 states".

There's already discussion about this on another thread, but that thread was started several months ago for a different petition that failed to get 100,000 signatures. I'm posting this new thread so that it will appear on the front page of GM-Volt.com.

If any of you had a bad dealer experience, please consider that this 'manufacturer-direct' sales model would be a benefit to GM as well. GM could have sold many more Volts if there weren't so many neanderthal dealer whose only thought seems to be, "Internal Combustion cars: Good. Electric cars: bad."

Here's the short link to the petition:

http://wh.gov/llpAp

Let's get if viral! Facebook it, twitter it and let all your EV clubs know about it!

Edit: The petition has over 26,000 signatures now, and is barely on track to get 100,000 signatures by the July 5th deadline. Let's not let this thing dwindle - spread the news!

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I signed it. Great idea. Tesla should have the right to sell its cars any way it chooses. For a new entrant selling a new technology, using a dealer network may simply not work.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Signed and shared on facebook. Everyone really needs to spread the word on this one, there is not allot of time left, and Tesla (and EV's in general) need all the help that they can get on this issue.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Signd it, it's time to pay back those slimy dealers who just want a cut of something they had nothing to do with in the creation process. Visited the tesla store in Miami, what a great experience. No pressure, very intelligent and informed, so different than the vultures at normal car dealers.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The petition is now at signature 30325.
Keep it going!

Francois
B2653
It was at 26,000 when I first posted 15 hours ago. Now it's at 32,000. That's at a rate of just under 10,000-signatures-per-day. It'll be interesting to see if this can go viral, because if this is just a surge from the fact that CNBC picked it up, it could die back down in a day or two.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hmmm, went to sign and the page states "You've already signed this petition". Umm, no, I just went to the page... Unless I'm missing something.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Seeing as the dealership model is a piggy bank for both political parties, there is zero chance anything will be changed, the petitions are nothing more than humor for the politician ...

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
... the petitions are nothing more than humor for the politician ...
I'm sure you're right. I did a little googling, and I can't find evidence that a single one of these petitions has resulted in any real action. But this petition web site was only started in 2011, so maybe this Tesla petition could be the first!

At a minimum the White House needs to give an official response with 100,000 signatures. Of course it will probably just state something generic like, "The administration fully supports free enterprise...".

But even if no substantive legislation comes from this, it will be good exposure for EVs if the petition gets enough signatures.

·
1,101 Posts
Posters really seem to hate their dealers!!

I, for one, have nothing but good things to say about my local dealer - Sweeney Chevrolet in Boardman, Ohio.

The purchase process was easy and no high pressure sales tactics in the finance room. I got a very good price for my trade-in. For the few times I had my Volt in for service (battery tunnel upgrade, replace door seal, and tire rotation), they gave me a Volt for a loaner and dropped my car off at my office when it was done.

I don't know if it is such a good idea to eliminate all dealers, because of some bad ones. Wouldn't it just be better to make it easier to get rid of the bad dealers?

For cell phones and computers, Musk's sales model is fine. For a purchase of this amount of money, where you know there will be service required, and trade in of the used vehicles, I am not so sure.

I just like the fact that if I have a problem, I can drive three miles and ask to talk to Mr. Sweeney, the owner of the dealership. If I have a problem with a Tesla, do you think I would get to talk to Mr. Musk?

JMHO - And obviously I am in the minority!!!!!

C-5277

·
Registered
61 Posts

I, for one, have nothing but good things to say about my local dealer - Sweeney Chevrolet in Boardman, Ohio.

The purchase process was easy and no high pressure sales tactics in the finance room. I got a very good price for my trade-in. For the few times I had my Volt in for service (battery tunnel upgrade, replace door seal, and tire rotation), they gave me a Volt for a loaner and dropped my car off at my office when it was done.

I don't know if it is such a good idea to eliminate all dealers, because of some bad ones. Wouldn't it just be better to make it easier to get rid of the bad dealers?

For cell phones and computers, Musk's sales model is fine. For a purchase of this amount of money, where you know there will be service required, and trade in of the used vehicles, I am not so sure.

I just like the fact that if I have a problem, I can drive three miles and ask to talk to Mr. Sweeney, the owner of the dealership. If I have a problem with a Tesla, do you think I would get to talk to Mr. Musk?

JMHO - And obviously I am in the minority!!!!!

C-5277

I dont think anyone is saying close down all the dealerships, and only have corporate "car stores". The fact of the matter is, companies should have the right to choose to sell though a dealership or a corporate store. In the case of Tesla, the dealership model simply would not work for them at this point in their existence, and they should have the right to use a different model.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Seeing as the dealership model is a piggy bank for both political parties, there is zero chance anything will be changed, the petitions are nothing more than humor for the politician ...
Especially since in-state commerce is the purview of the individual states, not the federal government. The only thing that can come out of this is publicity and a statement from the administration. Nice to get but as an actual lever to change state policies not tremendously effective.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I think posters don't really hate dealers, they hate rent-seekers. If a dealer can provide a better sales and service experience than a manufacturer's store, then good on them. However, I don't see what benefit redounds to today's end-buyers by taking away the manufacturers' rights to own and operate their own stores and service facilities. If Apple, Dell, etc. can sell their own wares direct to the public, why can't GM, Tesla or Nissan?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Elon tweeted this about an hour ago:

‏@elonmusk Please support the White House petition to allow direct sales of cars to consumers in all states http://wh.gov/llpAp

I was actually hoping that Tesla/Elon would not get involved in this, so it could be shown that 'the people' support the idea that a new manufacturer can sell it's own wares.

Elon Musk has over 240,000 followers, and my guess is that petition will now easily meet the 100,000 goal. It was at 35,707 at 2:21 PM EDT. Now at 3:21 EDT it's at 35,661, or just under 1,000 an hour. It was gaining less than 500 an hour before Musk's tweet.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
But just think how much more the Car Manufacturers could spend on PR (nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more) if they didn't have to play all of those dealer games.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts