GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tesla Pays Its Own Salespeople In $1 Million Lawsuit Settlement

Tesla has settled another class-action lawsuit after allegedly not paying its sales staff minimum wage or overtime, and not granting food or rest breaks.

According to Jalopnik, a total of 253 people involved in the case will receive about $2,200 each. Several employees made statements about the situation, saying they were miserable, overtime was just expected, and days off were rare. Even if there was a day off, the employees claim there’s an expectation to work from home during that time. This is all attributed back to Tesla’s grand mission, which managers reportedly push on employees when they are asked to go above and beyond their job description.
More at Inside EVs.

Related Jalopnik article is here. Warning: It's very long:

Why Tesla's Sales Staff Say They're Being Shortchanged In The Electric Car Revolution

Summation:

For anyone who might be interested in pursuing that opportunity, they wouldn’t find an endorsement from one [of] the former owner advisors who spoke to Jalopnik:

“Anybody who asks,” they said, “tell them don’t work for Tesla.”

·
Administrator
20,215 Posts
Is this a symptom of why some want to unionize?

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Wow. From what I had read, Tesla did not use the dealership model for sales.

Learn something new everyday. $300 commission for a $162,200 Model X P100D loaded? $17/hr assuming 40/hr weeks?

More $$$ for loading up the options on the build sheet? Lunch money for selling a base Model S/X?

I didn't think they needed to do that? It's a mail order purchase. You don't even get to test YOUR car until after you pay for it.

Informational. Neither Jaguar, Cadillac, nor Chevrolet tried to up sell me anything.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The stories outlined in the Jalopnik article are very troubling. :(

After several months on the job, in late 2016, the former owner advisor said they finally believed they were on target to earn a large quarterly bonus after meeting a sales quota for the first time. Selling two-to-three Tesla per week is a “triumph,” the ex-worker explained, and in one month they netted about 25 sales in total.

But management switched up the target again, they said, asserting several of the sales should’ve been so-called “inventory” units—cars that could be turned around and delivered in a couple days. As a result, the former worker alleged, they ended up not earning the bonus after all.

“They changed the rules around compensation all the time to not pay you,” the ex-worker said. “After that I was done with Tesla,” Weeks later, Tesla terminated them. The reason? For not selling enough cars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts