GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
https://electrek.co/2018/06/23/tesla-new-paid-premium-connectivity-package-in-car-internet-features/

predicted cost is $100 year, which is to say so far below Onstar, Audi, and other offerings, to make other offerings, well just pure greed
Re: Tesla
Not sure if I'd stay on the FREE Tesla plan or pay the pretty cheap price of $100 per year ($8.33 per month) for the premium plan. My X is always connected to WiFi when I'm home.

Electrek’s Take

So this is basically a good news for all current Tesla owners who were expecting to have to pay for connectivity at some point and those who place a new order for a car before July 1st.

For everyone else, it’s a new charge that looks like it is going to cost about $100 per year – which isn’t crazy considering use. Folks with Mifis or unlimited phone connectivity can also opt to just use their phone as a Wifi bridge instead for streaming services it would appear.

It was to be expected. Covering all broadband costs for a relatively small fleet of cars made sense, but Tesla could now soon be adding 30,000 new cars to its fleet every month.

It’s starting to add up and now Tesla looks to be able to maintain its in-car connectivity in a financially sustainable way while the fleet is growing.
Re: OnStar
I bought a WiFi data plan for our 2016 Volt when I roadtripped with a friend before our X. I think I paid like $25 or $30 for that *month*. I contacted them to cancel it from the car and they wanted to charge me another $25/$30 because I used Onstar in a new month to contact them!! Took me a while to get credit for that!

Hard to compare plans but I just looked at OnStar a minute ago. Here are some monthly cost.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
A recent update got the M3 wi-fi connectivity. If you have an attached garage, you can probably still get non-critical updates overnight on the basic plan.

OTOH, I live in a 3rd story apartment in a 200+ unit with a detached garage. I can barely connect to my wi-fi at the curb. I'm grateful the premium M3 plan is affordable.

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
A recent update got the M3 wi-fi connectivity. If you have an attached garage, you can probably still get non-critical updates overnight on the basic plan.

OTOH, I live in a 3rd story apartment in a 200+ unit with a detached garage. I can barely connect to my wi-fi at the curb. I'm grateful the premium M3 plan is affordable.
Indeed OTA over WiFi is part of basic Tesla plan. Or safety-related items still go over cellular even if on basic plan.I

I have Xfinity/Comcast and that gives me WiFi at other places that have Xfinity. I've only used this once while at the wife's aunts but it worked well. It is like a security locked down basic 'guest' account. Wonder if some Tesla apartment users would use 1st floor neighbors Xfinity (or the like) WiFi. Curious. I'm normally quite cautious about public WiFi but don't consider Xfinity's guest service in that same vein.

Article text:
As for over-the-air software update, they will have to go through WiFi when vehicles are connected to a network. It’s a good thing that Tesla just released the WiFi capability to the Model 3 this week.

That said, Tesla can still push over-the-air updates through the cellular connection if it’s safety related.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Hard to compare plans but I just looked at OnStar a minute ago. Here are some monthly cost.

I kinda wonder what the "immediate access to information and diagnostics for your vehicle" thing is. Because nobody that's ever tried the myvolt website would ever think it's worth ten bucks a month. Even the MyChevrolet app only actually reaches the car about half the time for me. That's fine for a freebie incidental service that rides along with the crash response and stolen vehicle assist, but anyone getting billed for that kind of performance would be livid.

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
I kinda wonder what the "immediate access to information and diagnostics for your vehicle" thing is. Because nobody that's ever tried the myvolt website would ever think it's worth ten bucks a month. Even the MyChevrolet app only actually reaches the car about half the time for me. That's fine for a freebie incidental service that rides along with the crash response and stolen vehicle assist, but anyone getting billed for that kind of performance would be livid.
I agree. I was just looking at both our Volts last night and was surprised when I had to 'retry' a few times at different points.

And I don't get 7 day charging info on our 2011 but get monthly and yearly.

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts

·
Administrator
20,582 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts