GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
https://modelingpediaworld.xyz/tesla-launching-today-new-wall-connector/

“Provides 40 amps (9.6kW) of power for all Model S, Model X and Model 3 Long Range vehicles. Model 3 Mid Range and Standard Range vehicles will charge at 32 amps when using the 14-50 Wall Connector.”

I have a NEMA 14-50 installed and use the mobile connector, that nets me around 32 miles of charge per hour. I had the electrician replace the NEMA 6-20 I had for the Volt with its mobile connector. The replaced it and added a another 110 (GFCI required) in my garage for flexibility for $499. For me buying the $500 Tesla wall charger isn't going to be enough improvement to justify the cost but should I move it certainly makes it easier and cheaper to get the garage EV ready if I all I need is the 14-50.

I don't know of how many 3rd party options for in home wall chargers just plug into 14-50 or similar sockets but I suspect it would be cheaper in the long run for people if they would, that way when you move you just unplug and go.

·
Registered
622 Posts
It does make for a quick installation for the homeowner if the source plug is already there. But like you said, the UMC is plenty fast for overnight charging given the fact most people are probably only charging up to 30kw daily. It’s hard to break the mindset of ICE Vehicle fueling where you fill up at 1/4 tank or less as needed ever few days as opposed to topping your tank everyday only replenishing what you used the previous day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
My understanding is that this is not really a new product, just a new plug option on the same old charger that previously was hard-wired only. Worth noting if you own a Tesla and are setting up your home charging equipment, but I'm not sure why this is newsworthy outside of that.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
My understanding is that this is not really a new product, just a new plug option on the same old charger that previously was hard-wired only. Worth noting if you own a Tesla and are setting up your home charging equipment, but I'm not sure why this is newsworthy outside of that.
my comment was this would allow more people to partake of these expensive chargers without having to leave them behind if they move. I am not familiar with the offerings for other chargers but would hope they either do this already or will. Getting a NEMA plug installed is simple and has more applications plus in some areas you can avoid that EV tax you get when they find out why you want it. Seriously I have seen quotes much higher when talking about installing a car charger which is no more work than putting in a NEMA socket.

me? I cannot see a reason to buy one when a thirty dollar adapter allows me to use the manufacture provided charging cable with most common NEMA plugs

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
^ my comment was not about you posting about the charge equipment, but that it is getting news coverage. Other wall chargers have been available with plug options for years, so this is not a new idea.

I agree that a plug in is better unless hardwired is required for code reasons. For one thing, if you sell your house, you can easily take a plug-in with you to use at your new home, whereas a hardwired might need an electrician for both the removal and the installation, and technically it is an attachment and should stay with the house unless there is a separate written agreement about it, which just complicates the home sale.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I too swapped out my NEMA 6-20 hardware for 14-50 when I traded in my Volt. Luckily I was able to do it myself for $75. A 25% faster charge, from 8kW to 10kW, is not really worth it for $500, but if I ever decide to do alot of travel, maybe, leaving the portable EVSE in the trunk and this model plugged in at home makes some sense. 6 hrs for an 80% charge, 10% to 90% would be kind of nice, just like a full charge with the Volt EVSE.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Nice to hear, but L2 EVSE's 30+ amps are often 14-50 for the last 5 years. It's a RV plug.

For those who want the Trick Setup for their Tesla or non-Tesla:

$300 for a 32a x 240v NEMA 14-50 portable L1/L2 charger at the Tesla Store: https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/gen-2-mobile-connector-bundle.html
Now add a $239 Tesla/J1772 Adapter like so: https://shop.quickchargepower.com/J...013C46BD169B18EA15D66010F199D.p3plqscsfapp003

So for $550, you get a portable or fixed 32a L2 charger that works on all Teslas (even Roadsters), nearly all other EVs, works at Tesla Destination Chargers, RV Parks, and 120v outlets. And it's easily portable. You have a Swiss Army Knife charger.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Way to go Tesla! I have a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage that I currently use with my ClipperCreek LCS-20P EVSE w/14-50 plug when charging my 2017 Volt. The new NEMA 14-50 plug option for the Tesla Wall Charger (TWC) will be perfect for me in the future. The Tesla Gen 2 Mobile Connector (TMC) that is included with every new Tesla vehicle comes with a 14-50 pigtail power cord and is capable of charging a Tesla vehicle at 240V at up to 32 amps.

The TMC, as I see it, has two shortcomings. The first is that Tesla does not provide a bracket or other way to mount the TMC to a vertical wall surface. (Note: There are some aftermarket plastic holster style brackets available online for the TMC.) The second shortcoming is that the TMC only includes a 20 ft. charging cord. The Tesla Wall Charger includes a 24 ft. charging cable. The extra 4 ft of charging cord can make it easier to reach the Tesla's charging port. Another advantage of the TWC over the TMC is the ability to charge at up to 240V and 40 amps (Models S, X, LR3 only) versus only 32 amps (MR3, SR3.)

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
For business owners with Teslas, the biggest advantage of a HPWC is that you can jumper them to 277 vac 1ph instead of having to do derate them with 208 vac (3ph, 2 legs). AFAIK, you can pump 11kW out of a simple lighting style circuit. 277 comes from 480vac 3ph power that most modern buildings have. You do your lights with it, hence why you see so many 110-277v industrial ceiling fixtures, and why you can't use parking lot light poles for EV charging.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
A much better deal is to buy a gen 1 UMC on eBay. I paid a net $100 after selling the adapters that I already have. I've been using mine for 9 months and get 40A with no issues at all.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
A much better deal is to buy a gen 1 UMC on eBay. I paid a net $100 after selling the adapters that I already have. I've been using mine for 9 months and get 40A with no issues at all.
How long is the charging cable on the gen 1 UMC? How did you attach the UMC to the wall to relieve the strain on the pigtail power cord?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts