GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
66k CAD, still twice what I paid for my Volt, range doesn't matter when I'm already at 99% EV with the Volt's 100km range
That's why you never see them on the Island (outside of car shows and only commercial owned ones at that) and the superchargers stand empty.

·
Registered
335 Posts
It is a nice move from Tesla. Still not a $35K vehicle.
The full-self-driving $3K option went away. I feel sorry for the people who donated $3K to Tesla for FSD.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
It cuts the price by about 10% with little re-engineering cost and manufacturing impact. For anyone waiting for a RWD SR+PUP, it is a good deal getting the MR+PUP this year vs waiting until next year with half the tax credit.

It seems silly that one won't be able to order the LR RWD configuration after next week. Glad I already have mine.

The full-self-driving $3K option went away. I feel sorry for the people who donated $3K to Tesla for FSD.
Those who pre-ordered FSD are supposed to be getting a computer hardware upgrade next year in order to run the FSD software. So they will come out OK in the end. I'm thinking the removal of FSD from the order sheet is to mitigate the number of cars that will need to be upgraded in the field.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Those who pre-ordered FSD are supposed to be getting a computer hardware upgrade next year in order to run the FSD software. So they will come out OK in the end. I'm thinking the removal of FSD from the order sheet is to mitigate the number of cars that will need to be upgraded in the field.
I hope that's the case.
Another option is limiting lawsuit liability...

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Just a way to upsell some of those $35k waitlisters, while maximizing revenues. I mean, you're not going to upsell many for $49k+, but you might get some at $44k, especially if the threat of the tax credit dropping to $3750 is hanging over them. By the time many of those $35k waitlisters get a Model 3, the tax credit could be $1875 or nil, so, the $44k car may be tempting.

And I agree with wws, the FSD option likely disappeared because of the future free neural chip upgrade.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Now that Tesla has built, delivered 100k M3 vehicles maybe the customer data is showing that relatively few M3 owners need the additional range of the LR M3, a 260 mile range MR M3 would meet their needs. Perhaps Tesla will build a limited number of SR M3 vehicles, then phase out the SR M3 in favor of the MR M3 being the entry level M3. To be significantly differentiated from the 260 mile range MR M3 the added range of the LR M3 should be 80 - 100 additional miles (~ 340 - 360 miles total range).

·
Registered
588 Posts
Now that Tesla has built, delivered 100k M3 vehicles maybe the customer data is showing that relatively few M3 owners need the additional range of the LR M3, a 260 mile range MR M3 would meet their needs. Perhaps Tesla will build a limited number of SR M3 vehicles, then phase out the SR M3 in favor of the MR M3 being the entry level M3. To be significantly differentiated from the 260 mile range MR M3 the added range of the LR M3 should be 80 - 100 additional miles (~ 340 - 360 miles total range).
100k M3s of dubious quality? Which ones are the "good" ones? Tesla always says that the "bad" one is an early example and they have changed their build process so the newer ones are better. Sucks to be the early adopter...

If they build the mythical SR 3 it will be in limited numbers to avoid some sort of class-action no?

Now, for those that actually got a "good" 3 cheers! I believe that you will have long years and miles of driving enjoyment out of it. The rest? ....

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
100k M3s of dubious quality? Which ones are the "good" ones? Tesla always says that the "bad" one is an early example and they have changed their build process so the newer ones are better. Sucks to be the early adopter...

If they build the mythical SR 3 it will be in limited numbers to avoid some sort of class-action no?

Now, for those that actually got a "good" 3 cheers! I believe that you will have long years and miles of driving enjoyment out of it. The rest? ....
I would say the vast majority are the good ones. If there was rampant problems we would be deluged by a lot more reports of issues that we see. It is like any other car, just looking on this site we have lots of people with problems with their Chevrolets. The difference is that Tesla sold more TM3s in one quarter than Chevrolet sold Bolts and Volts in how many years?

The mythical SR3 will come but it won't be to avoid a class action suit. First off there is no grounds as all deposits are fully refundable. The PR hit would be high however and they would and should eat crow if they don't.

I will say this, when I looked at my choices for an EV to be my only car I did not look at Telsa first, however the Bolt is not suitable for any long trips.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
While I've been saying this is what Tesla should have been doing from the beginning, I think they are only doing it now because demand for the $49,000+ Model 3 LR wasn't as high as they anticipated. They need to continue to maximize production with as high of a margin as they possibly can, and this might be the only way they can do that.

They had a bit of a scarcity marketing campaign, telling prospective customers that they must order by Oct 15 to get the full credit. I guess that didn't bring in enough new orders, so this is the next strategy. It should work. I think it's a great idea. After all, it was my idea. :cool:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
No surprises here. Sell fully optioned first to maximise much needed money (every one knows they (all manufacturers) make more money on fully optioned cars). Once that segment tales off, offer next lower segment and so on. The problem here (for the lower end consumer is as time goes on the rebates decrease so the longer they wait for the lower priced ones come out,, the effective price increases. You know what is getting squeezed between a rock and a hard place. The other thing is with the pressure to meet production goals, things get rushed, people working overtime, quality falls (on top of quality issues due to new manufacturing processes that keep changing do to trying to do things differently). Regardless how good the concept of the car the earlier the car the greater the chance it having problems, missing parts etc. It's the way it is. Denying it doesn't make it go away.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I agree that the exceptional demand for the Model 3 has created some production and delivery issues that even Tesla did not adequately anticipate. They have come a long ways in record time, but the demand is still there so they have more hurdles ahead.
If the numbers are real and they are now actually showing the ability to profit, then they are really going to roll. Let's not forget that there are still many potential customers waiting for the new models such as the Y and the Pickup, new Roadster, etc. etc. At this point, I still don't see any serious competition ....it seems to always be just over the horizon.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
.. Where is the $35,000 3 that they promised 400,000+ hand wavers?
....If they build the mythical SR 3 it will be in limited numbers to avoid some sort of class-action no?
....The mythical SR3 will come but it won't be to avoid a class action suit. First off there is no grounds as all deposits are fully refundable. ....
But, but, Elon said .......

Who cares about all the high-end options, the Semi, Pickup, Model Y?
Most of those +400K interest-free deposits were for a "$35k Tesla", no?
(with less range than the Bolt! Remember those early days when neither was out yet?)

·
Registered
669 Posts
I am starting to think that maybe the only real mistake Elon made was saying they could offer a $35,000 Model 3 in the first place.
Did he think that they would not get enough deposits? I think Tesla would have done just as well had they simply said they were going to offer a smaller, less expensive version of the Model S and call it the Model 3. Then that would be followed by a smaller, less expensive version of the Model X, and that will be called the Model Y. As they reach profitability and the ability to make money on less expensive versions then they can actually offer a $35,000 Tesla. Are they getting there?
OR perhaps, would it just be better for Tesla to build and sell high end, high tech EV's for only the people who can really afford them? (and hope that they create the interest and incentive for the legacy car companies to build the "people's ")

·
Registered
529 Posts
But, but, Elon said .......

Who cares about all the high-end options, the Semi, Pickup, Model Y?
Most of those +400K interest-free deposits were for a "$35k Tesla", no?
(with less range than the Bolt! Remember those early days when neither was out yet?)
It is not at all clear that "most" of those reservations were for the $35k model. Tesla has sold, as of today, right around 100,000 of the LR models in the US and Canada. There were only ~200,000 NA reservation holders before they stopped counting. I think many people, like me, were planning to get the LR the moment it was revealed. Others held out for the AWD and the performance editions. Some got refunds. Some probably bought Bolts (obviously not many, but some). Based on YTD deliveries and a few reasonable guesses, one would expect there to be around 80k or so North American reservation holders waiting for the SR. For those people, the Mid-Range is a very compelling option (especially if they were planning to spring for the premium upgrade package). It is only a $5k difference to get an extra 40 miles of range and for those who ordered quickly, it is really only a $1,250 difference because of the tax credit.

Speculation aside, the data says the Mid Range RWD is getting terrific reception. Looking at just the past two weeks, based on new VIN registrations, it looks like Tesla had planned to build an initial batch of 10,000 and today they just upped the number to 15,000. People are speaking with their wallets. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Still, for you guys who keep saying that the $35k car won't ever be built, I am willing to take that bet. Anyone want to put up, say, $1,000 to the charity of your choice if Tesla does not start delivering the standard range vehicle by May 2019? I've got a great charity that could use your money and I am confident I would win that bet.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I would not bet against it....as Elon does seem to get much joy from eventually doing what he says he is going to do. For those that have waited so long, I really hope he comes through for you. I waited for AWD and a tow package and it hasn't quite gotten there.....so now I have decided to wait for the Y to see what it offers. I'd love to see some serious competition from GM, or Ford for that matter. Can't wait for that earnings call tomorrow.....I hope Tesla delivers great numbers!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts