GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yes, the Tesla that doesn't discount is offering discounts of up to $43k off sticker for P100DL vehicles. Elon Musk won't give his own mother a discount, but lucky end of year shoppers can score $43k "price adjustments" off brand new inventory vehicles!

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/2468367/

Hopefully the sales advisor that sent out the emails detailing these "price adjustments" doesn't get canned by Elon like the sales advisor that advertised $30k discounts earlier this year. https://insideevs.com/in-attempt-to-boost-sales-tesla-offers-30000-discount-0-99-apr/

First rule of discount club is: don't talk about discount club. Call it "price adjustment" club. :D

·
Registered
13,940 Posts
Wow, it’s even in Indy, the closest Tesla Store to me....except if I were to custom build a Model X with the features I want, the grand total is $106.5K. Before the tax credit...so not a good deal to me. Why get a discount of features you don’t want or need?

Also, I was curious, so I fully loaded up a Model X on Tesla.com, but I could only mix the car out at $161k. I suspect there are some items in the P100D that are standard in the 2018 model where it was an option in the 2017 model. I’m also confused, I“ve never heard of a P100DL. Is the L for ludicrous mode? If so, apparently you dn’t Have to pay extra for it if you buy the P model.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, it’s even in Indy, the closest Tesla Store to me....except if I were to custom build a Model X with the features I want, the grand total is $106.5K. Before the tax credit...so not a good deal to me. Why get a discount of features you don’t want or need?

Also, I was curious, so I fully loaded up a Model X on Tesla.com, but I could only mix the car out at $161k. I suspect there are some items in the P100D that are standard in the 2018 model where it was an option in the 2017 model. I’m also confused, I“ve never heard of a P100DL. Is the L for ludicrous mode? If so, apparently you dn’t Have to pay extra for it if you buy the P model.
I believe Tesla now includes some used-to-be options as standard in the current "base" models and trimmed the price a bit, which is partially the reason you can't max out a P100D X for the $169k shown above.

Also, the "L" is included at the end of their P_whatever designation because earlier "P" Model S/X's did not automatically come with Ludicrous mode (like Performance Model S's produced before there was even a Ludicrous mode). I think any "P" model now comes with Ludicrous by default. I could be wrong about that though.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Showroom Adjustment...

There are a dozen names for discounts on cars, now Tesla Motors had to create a new one. But WTF are they talking about?
Does storing the car indoors reduce it's value that much?

Let's just call what it everybody calls it, and what it is, either:

1) Demo pricing
2) Market adjustment
3) Inventory reduction

Nothing about putting a car in the showroom reduces it's value. In fact, that's often where shops keep their halo cars so they can keep an eye on them.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Showroom Adjustment...

There are a dozen names for discounts on cars, now Tesla Motors had to create a new one. But WTF are they talking about?

1) Demo pricing
2) Market adjustment
3) Excess inventory

Nothing about putting a car in the showroom reduces it's value. In fact, that's often where shops keep their halo cars so they can keep an eye on them.
It seems call it anything except a "discount" and you're good!

An aside, but when I brought my Bolt in to get the Android Auto update, I saw the dealership had a Bolt parked front and center on their showroom floor.

To think you could buy a sticker price loaded Bolt Premier for the dis----price adjustment being offered on the above Model X is insane....ludicrous even.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Getting last years demo model for $30k off MSRP (if you equip current car in similar fashion it comes out to 157,500) isn't that great of a deal. That amounts to slightly less than 20% off. The average discount on a new GM is around 10 to 15%, on any GM, not demo models. I know the 2016 Volts were selling with 20% off a year or so ago.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Getting last years demo model for $30k off MSRP (if you equip current car in similar fashion it comes out to 157,500) isn't that great of a deal. That amounts to slightly less than 20% off. The average discount on a new GM is around 10 to 15%, on any GM, not demo models. I know the 2016 Volts were selling with 20% off a year or so ago.
Of course with Tesla, the official mantra is "no discounts for anyone", while with any other manufacturer we almost expect 10% off a vehicle at a minimum. Tesla should really drop the "no discounts" charade and just admit they will discount vehicles from time to time (especially at end of quarter/year) instead of maintaining this 0 discounts farce.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
When your shorts are too tight, you make an 'adjustment'.

$43k is more like doing a gender reassignment.

·
Registered
13,940 Posts
Showroom Adjustment...

1) Demo pricing
2) Market adjustment
3) Inventory reduction

Except a bunch of people touched it, sat in it, farted in it, some snotnosed kid picked a bugger and swiped it on the front lip of the back seat, oh...and there could be some test drive miles on it where everyone had to test out Ludicrous mode.

So now that Ludicrous is standard, I wonder if they will come out with a P100DP for Plaid mode. Conversely, I wanna P100 (or 120, 140 160 600) G model for Grandpa mode. Give me 0-60 in 10 seconds and a max speed of 80 MPH so I don’t kill myself or hurt someone. Every Tesla owner Ludicrous, insane or standard mode aside had to have punched it and thouroughly exceeded the speed limit.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Not sure if this plays a role, but in CA you pay a property tax based on your inventory at the end of the year. Basically December 31st. The tax wouldn't be this much but it's substantial. Can't remember the exact number.

This does, however, make clear how expensive these cars can be. Sometimes that gets lost in the starting based price of the lowest model.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Except a bunch of people touched it, sat in it, farted in it, some snotnosed kid picked a bugger and swiped it on the front lip of the back seat, oh...and there could be some test drive miles on it where everyone had to test out Ludicrous mode.
This is true for all cars in inventory. Nor is there a guarantee a custom order is flawless when it arrives.

It's just a 'name game'. Showroom is a more pleasant term than market, demo, or inventory.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Not sure if this plays a role, but in CA you pay a property tax based on your inventory at the end of the year. Basically December 31st. The tax wouldn't be this much but it's substantial. Can't remember the exact number.

This does, however, make clear how expensive these cars can be. Sometimes that gets lost in the starting based price of the lowest model.
I'd have to ask our CPA, but corps don't need to use Dec 31 as the end of their fiscal (tax) year. Ours is in the summer.

·
Banned
260 Posts
Yes, the Tesla that doesn't discount is offering discounts of up to $43k off sticker for P100DL vehicles. Elon Musk won't give his own mother a discount, but lucky end of year shoppers can score $43k "price adjustments" off brand new inventory vehicles!

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/2468367/

Hopefully the sales advisor that sent out the emails detailing these "price adjustments" doesn't get canned by Elon like the sales advisor that advertised $30k discounts earlier this year. https://insideevs.com/in-attempt-to-boost-sales-tesla-offers-30000-discount-0-99-apr/

First rule of discount club is: don't talk about discount club. Call it "price adjustment" club. :D
You do understand that almost all of these have been driven as either loaners or test driver right? Or did you think that they should be sold for the same price as a new one. You should look at your link as one of the discounted ones shows it has 10k miles on it.

I still haven't heard of any discounts on new ones yet but as more competition comes into the market maybe they will have to adjust.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Still one ridiculously expensive car...
I would love to see competition to Tesla soon so it becomes more reasonably priced.
Even cheapest M3's rolling off the production line start at $50K.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts