GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
https://electrek.co/2017/02/13/tesla-patent-metal-air-battery/

“A method for charging a metal-air battery pack at the maximum possible rate while maintaining an ambient oxygen concentration below a preset concentration is provided, thereby minimizing the risks associated with generating oxygen during the charging cycle.”

There are problems with metal-air battery technology that need to be solved in order for it to be used in electric vehicles, especially life cycle and cost. In the patent, Tesla asserts that the new charging method addresses some of the issues, like managing the supply of air during the charge cycle.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Really interesting. I suspect they are also working on the next generation li-ion batteries (perhaps partnering with Panasonic) that have a significantly improved capacity, life and maximum charging rate.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Note how quickly a high-range Li-ion battery obsoletes not only older battery design, but also the cars (not the brand, just the model) that use them. The race for range is going full blast in laboratories worldwide because sales success is so dependent upon battery range and any range improvement must leapfrog the current leader. Bolt EV, Tesla and Leaf will test this hypothesis very soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Really interesting stuff.

Does anyone know if this patent will be open like most of the others?

Does GM have any similar research efforts?

Any links to other articles or any other info on those topics would be very interesting to me.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Really interesting. I suspect they are also working on the next generation li-ion batteries (perhaps partnering with Panasonic) that have a significantly improved capacity, life and maximum charging rate.
I think the next battery used in vehicles with be straight Lithium metal batteries with a solid polymer. More capacity, lighter weight and no fires.
http://ionicmaterials.com/technology/

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I think the next battery used in vehicles with be straight Lithium metal batteries with a solid polymer. More capacity, lighter weight and no fires.
http://ionicmaterials.com/technology/
There was a Nova on batteries last week, they demoed the Ionic solid polymer batteries and they were impressive. First they showed what happens when you puncture the current Lithium batteries, it doesn't take much to get a violent fire. With the solid polymer batteries they were able to cut them up with a scissors, not only was there no fire, they kept working.

·
Administrator
19,981 Posts
Does GM have any similar research efforts?
Nope, GM doesn't do any battery research at their battery research center, nor are they working on next generation li-ion batteries that have a significantly improved capacity, life and maximum charging rate. :)

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I just hope the current generation of EV's can be retro fitted with the latest battery technology repackage to fit into older EV's in the future.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I just hope the current generation of EV's can be retro fitted with the latest battery technology repackage to fit into older EV's in the future.
Of course they *can* be.

The question will be whether or not the value proposition of doing so is compelling enough to attract 3rd-party businesses to provide such a service/product. (Presuming that the automakers themselves will choose not to do so since it would cannibalize their new vehicle sales.)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Of course they *can* be.

The question will be whether or not the value proposition of doing so is compelling enough to attract 3rd-party businesses to provide such a service/product. (Presuming that the automakers themselves will choose not to do so since it would cannibalize their new vehicle sales.)
Hopefully some of the Gen 1 Volts will be around years from now as a Classic Car Collectible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nope, GM doesn't do any battery research at their battery research center, nor are they working on next generation li-ion batteries that have a significantly improved capacity, life and maximum charging rate. :)
Well, that is discouraging. But thank you for the info.

I doubt that they will take advantage of any open patents either. Too bad.

But at least there is one American company looking into this.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Wow, even smiley-marked sarcasm can be taken literally... (Also, go look up "GM Envia" to see what their level of commitment to an even unproven battery tech looks like.)

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
As far as I can tell, it's a nonsense patent designed to confound anyone trying to bring an X-Air battery to market.

It contains no details of any battery chemistry or battery construction.

I would say it is engineeringly obvious that to avoid generating too much oxygen during charging of that type of battery that you would monitor the oxygen levels.

Isn't that really obvious?

Seems more of a gag-patent on X-Air types than anything constructive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There was a Nova on batteries last week, they demoed the Ionic solid polymer batteries and they were impressive. First they showed what happens when you puncture the current Lithium batteries, it doesn't take much to get a violent fire. With the solid polymer batteries they were able to cut them up with a scissors, not only was there no fire, they kept working.
I just read an article on the features of the ionic solid polymer batteries and I was pretty impressed, to say the least. Not only are these safer than the liquid electrolyte batteries but they're apparently a lot more cost effective. It would be pretty exciting to see how these new batteries hold up with their vehicles, and hopefully GM implements a way for older models to take advantage of these solid polymer batteries. I know this might make a little dent in the sales of their new vehicles but in an ideal situation it would be the best option for car owners to save a little money

1 - 14 of 14 Posts