GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tesla Motors to build Whitestar in CA:

Link

I believe this is a mistake, as no manufacturer, regardless of incentives, can effectively produce vehicles in CA - the worker laws prevent manufacturers from quickly dealing with disruptive employees, so a single individual can bring an entire company down.

I guess Tesla Motors will only make money off license agreements and sales of powertrain components and systems.

Edit:

Here is the video with Gov. Schwartzenegger:

Link

·
Registered
49 Posts
I believe this is a mistake, as no manufacturer, regardless of incentives, can effectively produce vehicles in CA - the worker laws prevent manufacturers from quickly dealing with disruptive employees, so a single individual can bring an entire company down.
Why did GM invest so much in the Nummi plant?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nice, I hope to do some business with these folks then.

As far as how it's happening, reading the article it seem California is buying the equipment and training the employees. (Loans, yea right)

Doing business at the NUMMI plant for a number of years, the key has always been sales of the cars in the western region. Based on conversations with folks around Toyota.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Here's another article on the $60K Model "S"

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/38193/113/

Musk also mentioned that Tesla is working on a project that would allow them to deliver an electric car that costs under $30,000 “a lot sooner than everyone thinks”. When asked how long this vehicle would take to hit the market he said “4 years at the most”.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This is just me, but I feel like Tesla is going to get gobbled up by one of the larger players or remain a niche players once it launches it's IPO later this year. I don't believe the company has the staying power to compete in todays automotive market.

The major OEMs can produce a PHEV/EV for less than what Tesla is charging, and can ramp up production much faster. I'm just not convinced they will be able to meet market demand, and buyers will likely go to traditional companies for their vehicles.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This is just me, but I feel like Tesla is going to get gobbled up by one of the larger players or remain a niche players once it launches it's IPO later this year. I don't believe the company has the staying power to compete in todays automotive market.

The major OEMs can produce a PHEV/EV for less than what Tesla is charging, and can ramp up production much faster. I'm just not convinced they will be able to meet market demand, and buyers will likely go to traditional companies for their vehicles.
I disagree. Tesla is a niche car, a la the Lotus Elise its chassis is based on, or Porsches, etc. in that price range.

That's one thing people tend to forget; it's not a $100,000 electric car that looks sporty. It's meant to be a $100,000 sportscar that happens to be electric.

Sure they can produce a car for less than Tesla charges. They can also produce a Suburban for less than Cadillac charges for an Escalade, and can produce a Fiero for less than a Corvette. Some people are willing to pay a premium for "upscale" cars with either greater luxury or greater performance.

How successful can niches be? Porsche owns VW/Audi, not the other way around.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Clayton Christensen's writings have shown that time after time, many of the "industry incumbents" fail to make the transition to the new technology. It really seems as if Ford is behind and Chrysler doesn't have a prayer. At this point, it isn't about being a low cost producer, it's about development time, and if they haven't been working on EV's all along, they aren't going to get to market in time.

I believe it is Chrysler that will be bought up / merged with Nissan, while Tesla Motors will either merge with a major automaker, or subsist by licensing / supplying to the major automakers. I think it more likely that they will subsist by licensing / supplying.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Clayton Christensen's writings have shown that time after time, many of the "industry incumbents" fail to make the transition to the new technology. It really seems as if Ford is behind and Chrysler doesn't have a prayer. At this point, it isn't about being a low cost producer, it's about development time, and if they haven't been working on EV's all along, they aren't going to get to market in time.

I believe it is Chrysler that will be bought up / merged with Nissan, while Tesla Motors will either merge with a major automaker, or subsist by licensing / supplying to the major automakers. I think it more likely that they will subsist by licensing / supplying.
Time will tell, but if Ford is sticking to the strategy I think they are, then I believe they wont be as vocal as GM about their future product plans.

·
Registered
6 Posts

What does Tesla have that is of any value yet. Patents?

How will they compete against Nissan?

Maybe their drive train is special, but the EV1 with the NiMH pack got 140 miles according to the EPA and that technology is now 10 years old.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
What does Tesla have that is of any value yet. Patents?

How will they compete against Nissan?

Maybe their drive train is special, but the EV1 with the NiMH pack got 140 miles according to the EPA and that technology is now 10 years old.
Tesla's battery for the Roadster at 53KWh is reported to cost $20-25K. For a compact sedan like the Prius, with it's weight and aero, the battery would need to be about 22KWh for 140 mile range. This would translate to about $9000 for a 20KWh version of the Tesla battery based on their Roadster's initial battery estimates. This translates to a 140 mile Prius-like sedan for about $25,000 based on their technology.

Tesla also has advanced power electronics and controls that may interest an automaker.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts