1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I'm guessing it's going to look very similar to the picture all the way on the right. Maybe more of a CUV (Acura ZDX, Infiniti EX) than a truck-like SUV.

View attachment 4235 Hi everyone !!

Interesting insight on greencarreports.com website !!

I didn't know that Tesla was already developing a Crossover for 2013... I thought that they had their hands full with the Model S !!

Anyway, good news ... the more EV cars, the better !!

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1071383_tesla-ceo-2013-model-x-crossover-suv-will-be-unveiled-feb-9

Sly

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
They do have their hands full with the Model S IMHO. I'll believe this thing when I see it. In fact, I'll believe the Model S when I see it, at least in any meaningful quantity.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Even with a 300 mile range, I'm not interested in a BEV until the fast-charge infrastructure is in place at least regionally. I'd be much more interested in a Voltec-powered small SUV or even a conventional hybrid. I don't understand why the new Ford Escape, Mazda CX-5, Honda CR-V, etc don't offer hybrid options. Sorry folks, but even 25/32 mpg isn't 40/40 (or better yet the first 40 miles or so on electricity).

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Even with a 300 mile range, I'm not interested in a BEV until the fast-charge infrastructure is in place at least regionally. I'd be much more interested in a Voltec-powered small SUV or even a conventional hybrid. I don't understand why the new Ford Escape, Mazda CX-5, Honda CR-V, etc don't offer hybrid options. Sorry folks, but even 25/32 mpg isn't 40/40 (or better yet the first 40 miles or so on electricity).
A Model S with 300 Miles EV range would be perfect for me and my family ... but I would keep the VOLT, since we need 2 cars!! That would be a perfect world ... I would need over 300 Miles Range no more than once a year, so we could take the Volt on that yearly road trip.

Unfortunately, the Model S with 300 Miles battery pack is way over my budget ... for now ...

Sly

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Here is the same subject but with some new information in it (chargedevs.com):

http://www.chargedevs.com/content/news-wire/post/tesla-unveil-model-x-suv-february

Cost in battery energy improvement about 7 to 9 percent (Elon Musk prediction!)

Also, apparently that Bob Lutz admitted that the Roadster was the inspiration for the Volt ...
It's too bad Bob didn't say the Iraq wars were not the inspiration for the Volt. The execs need to open their eyes a little more than to be influenced only by a competitor and not the consuming public. Remember when the Senators/Congressmen questioned the car execs during TARP/Bailouts saying "Give us the cars we want"...

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm on the list for the S. If things hold schedule-wise, my number should be called late 2012. So, I'll have about 4-5 months of buyers ahead of me to see how things pan out. I'm quite optimistic about it though. I'm leaning towards the 230 mi version. We need 2 cars in my family. But when we ride together, we'll drive the S around town, and the Volt for long road trips. Looking forward to see what the X will look like.

·
Registered
857 Posts
They do have their hands full with the Model S IMHO. I'll believe this thing when I see it. In fact, I'll beleive the Model S when I see it, at least in any meaningful quantity.
Well they better produce some. I was in a Tesla store in November and they said they were sold out for '12 and were taking orders for mid '13 now. I understand each order requires a $5000 deposit. One sales guy did say if I ordered a signature model at $100,000 plus, he'd make sure it was delivered this year.

LOVE MY VOLT!

WVhybrid

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Well they better produce some. I was in a Tesla store in November and they said they were sold out for '12 and were taking orders for mid '13 now. I understand each order requires a $5000 deposit. One sales guy did say if I ordered a signature model at $100,000 plus, he'd make sure it was delivered this year.

LOVE MY VOLT!

WVhybrid
Same answer, LOL. Are there any on the road yet? I'm soooooooooooooooo from Missouri. Maybe they'll keep making them until Elon runs out of money. Or maybe his Toyota buddies will bail him out in the end

·
Registered
63 Posts
They do have their hands full with the Model S IMHO. I'll believe this thing when I see it. In fact, I'll believe the Model S when I see it, at least in any meaningful quantity.
Model X is built on the same chassis/drivetrain as the Model S with a different body and interior configuration.

As for seeing Model S's, the Betas have been making the rounds at the Tesla stores. I completely understand the doubts about Tesla being able to produce this car, but since I've been to the factory (at the October event) and ridden in one, I believe Tesla is on track to make their dates and promised quantities by 2013. There's still plenty of potential for brand-new-assembly-line or supply mishaps, of course, but that would delay the product, not derail it. Between the government loan, Roadster sales, and Toyota & Daimler powertrain sales, Tesla looks to have enough money to launch Model S.

BTW, with the Signature Series sold out, you can't buy your way to a 2012 delivery with a bigger deposit anymore, unless some people back out in the interim. That's 1000 people putting down $40,000, plus about 6000 people putting down $5000 for a total cool $70Million interest free loan to Tesla.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm on the list for the S. If things hold schedule-wise, my number should be called late 2012. So, I'll have about 4-5 months of buyers ahead of me to see how things pan out. I'm quite optimistic about it though. I'm leaning towards the 230 mi version. We need 2 cars in my family. But when we ride together, we'll drive the S around town, and the Volt for long road trips. Looking forward to see what the X will look like.
Wow Jomo ... please keep us informed on how it goes with your Tesla Model S !! It will be interesting to have your feedback when both your EV's will be in your driveway !!

Sly

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 13 of 13 Posts