1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
That is good news for EVs since GM has just began to produce the Spark EV, but doesn't have a luxury EV like the Model S. The Volt is limited by its dealer distributions, because some dealers will not sell it (my area is one), while some can't get enough Volts to sell.

Get with it, GM! Put more Volts out for sale!

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
What's an EV hater to do with this news? Kicking GM forces them to acknowledge Tesla ("A loser" - S. Palin) as a winner.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Enjoy it while you can Elon, it's not gonna last, LOL.
+1. Once Tesla burns through the reservation list (it's happening soon), they'll try the snake oil sales route to drum up more business. Elon has already busy trying it, latest being the "$500 per month" payment scheme.

I wonder what he'll tweet /announce today - he's the only CEO who advance tweets his upcoming tweet. Guess he has too much time in his hands.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
The factory will continue to make Tesla Model S for buyers around the world. The car is so amazing to drive that it's desirability should increase sales. Once the market "dries up" they can start producing Model X. The affordable model comes after that, so don't bet against Tesla until they don't have new models to manufacture.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Here's hoping the "affordable model" incorporates newer battery tech to maintain its affordability. I also hope Tesla stays on the cutting edge of tech, maybe throw in an Axiflux motor at each corner and have torque vectoring to go with a ~250kg ~100kW battery...

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Guys, if you think Telsa is a flash in the pan, I am here to tell you they are not. You could have made that statement and been well supported prior to mass production of the Model S, but not anymore.

with Tesla QUICKLY building a nationwide sales machine and service center, along with them proving they can produce a car at scale, this Tesla is going to provide SERIOUS competition to all higher end luxury cars, which is a significant market.

Honestly, who here would rather have something like an M3 or M5 over a Model S? If so, why? The Model S has a ton of range, it is cheap as hell to drive, and its performance and luxury compares to or bests the offerings of just about everything else in the price range. It is more advanced than any other car sub 100k. It is going to sell VERY very well. I had my doubts. I don't anymore.

With Tesla getting rid of the middle man (dealers), they can compete well in space that has significant dealership overhead.

I don't think GM could sell this car for under 100k.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I think if Tesla can keep at the forefront of tech, the next generation of Model S could simply annihilate any competition at just about any price. Drop the weight of the battery, put lightweight high-power motors at each corner, and I bet you could see sub-3s 0-60 and 8s on the quarter mile, possibly with passengers, assuming you have enough sticky rubber. You might not get 300mi of range doing that all the time, but being able to do so would be a pretty nice bragging right, and would put the Model S at the top of the list of _all_ production luxury cars in world history.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I am confident that by the end of the year the Volt will out sell the Model S, how many $100K cars out sell under $50k cars?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I remember Bob Lutz's saying that it was this small startup company, named Tesla, that
made him push the Volt project through GM.
The Volt is an amazing car,
but the Tesla S is a step further: Long electric range, high tech, software upgrades without going
to a dealership, faster remote application control...

GM could have used their technological leading edge to go further, but it seems to me
that they simply stalled. They will put on the market, next year an even more limited volume
Voltec based car. Could they have put on the market an SUV voltec based, like the MPV5 concept?

Lets not talk about marketing, the perception of the ads will not get much appeal.
Have you seen the latest cadillac ad with a grandfather clock spinning fast and breaking?
about 75% of the ad time is about the clock, not the cadillac!
The Volt is not marketed (or very very lightly).

I think that Tesla is doing the appropriate kick in the ... for the car majors.
The customers will vote with their dollars.

Francois
B2653

·
Registered
977 Posts
I am confident that by the end of the year the Volt will out sell the Model S, how many $100K cars out sell under $50k cars?
And how many $25k Priuses will be sold?

That's like judging the quality of a film by its box office receipts.

Me, I think the Tesla put the industry on notice, and when batteries improve in weight and price their slogan can be: "Price, Performance, Range: pick any three."

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Tesla sends CEO to Texas to defend direct-to-customer electric vehicle sales

·
Registered
686 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
This is just the beginning of the modern era of PEVs - I'm excited.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
GM made a mistake by making sales predictions based on production capacity...

It sounds like Elon Musk is making the same mistake.

I think this will come back to haunt him...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The super premium car market is different than the popular priced market in which Volt competes. Getting It Right has burnished Tesla's reputation in its class and it is now fashionable and chic to drive this winner. I think most people who drive the Tesla will never go back, so this market will grow.
Cadillac may have a problem because its name is in the near super premium category, but will not be the fashion statement that the Tesla is unless it, too, is a hands-down winner in every way. Style-wise it will be, but with a hand-me-down Voltec drivetrain, buyers may lean to Tesla. Few will lean down to Volt, IMHO. Hope ELR has some breakthrough battery tech, or else it may be the next.....Cimarron. (gasp!)

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Enjoy it while you can Elon, it's not gonna last, LOL.
I am sure he would be the first to agree with you.
Tesla is targeting 20,000/year. Basically a little less than 2000/month.
GM has already had months more than that and I don't see why they wouldn't again.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts