1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
716 Posts
This begs the question, where is the electric Corvette?

A Cadillac ELR will likely have a somewhat better performance than the Volt, but performance is how the electric car can capture a wider audience. We need some tire screeching and smoking machines.
Not to nit-pick, but the right-wing media such as Faux News would claim that they have already made the case that the Volt is a "smoking" machine -- especially its battery.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sparks ... go to your room!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Horrible test. BMW's launch was sloppy as hell with tons of wheelspin, while Tesla's was smooth. Was launch control off? From the rest of the video, it appears that the cars are close enough in performance that the launch is enough to make or break a drag race between them.

Certainly impressive for the Tesla, but I'll hold off for a more detailed timed test with better drivers till we give the Tesla the full edge.

·
Registered
166 Posts
In a true drag race I think the M5 would win, it certainly wins on the exhaust note.
If the race is with the engine at idle & then the two cars punch the go (gas) pedal, the Model S wins, I think even the Volt would jump out to a short lived lead. And if it was just to the next light, that'd be all I need to tell the world my Volt can beat an M5.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
The M5 did have a weaker start.. but even at 30-32secnds in the the video (well off the line), the tesla is still pulling away, then only when the M5 finally gets into upper gears does it starts to close.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
BMW has an unfair advantage of more fuel. Just calculate how much energy the Tesla S has in its battery, and only fill the BMW with the same energy amount of fuel. The BMW will run out of fuel much sooner. That shows why future cars must be electrics!

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Any race comes down to the quality of driver, but in terms of acceleration, an EV has a wider margin of error. Basically, a worse driver can do better in an electric vehicle.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
They did say in the video that the Tesla won in 2 out of 3 tests. Which means the M5 won at least once.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
.....and why was the BMW's halos randomly blinking on and off in the video....
It is called a frequency beat, the interference between the video frame rate (i.e. 30 frames per second) and the pulsed voltage that drives the BMW tail LEDs. Normally both frequencies are too high to be perceived by our eyes, however when they interfere the resulting frequency is the difference of the two, is much lower and hence visible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts