1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
724 Posts
I knew something like that would happen. First the price goes up, now this. I expect many more price increases and production delays. Tesla is not yet a prime time player, and is still operating on Government money.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
How can giving away Free Fuel for Life ever be a sustainable business model?

I know, I know, you paid for it 1 time, up front, but what about when you use WAY more than $2000 worth of electrons and rising ?!?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I knew something like that would happen. First the price goes up, now this. I expect many more price increases and production delays. Tesla is not yet a prime time player, and is still operating on Government money.
True, Tesla is not one of the "main players" yet. However, there have been no price increases on the Model 3, and no delays from the stated estimate of the end of 2017 which was announced at the Model 3 reveal.

I know, I know, you paid for it 1 time, up front, but what about when you use WAY more than $2000 worth of electrons and rising ?!?
If you, or me, or another Model S driver uses more than $2000 in electricity (about 50,000 miles worth), it would have no impact on the success or failure of the business model.

The only thing that matters is the average use of the superchargers per paid/subscribed user.
I've charged about 6,000 miles on superchargers on two vehicles. So far, Tesla is way ahead of the game for me. If someone else has driven 90,000 miles on superchargers, then Tesla's cost has balanced out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
roughly 67,000 miles at average power costs in US

if you figure roughly 4 miles per kWh, and $0.12/kWh USA average, that's $2000/$0.12/kWh=16666...kWhx4mi/kWh=66,666 miles of supercharger driven miles. Considering that the supercharger network is specifically designed for long distance highway travel that is not likely.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
It's an option. Nothing wrong with this. My Leaf had CHAdeMO as an option. People who thought this would be free were mostly just hearing what they wanted to hear.

Will this ever make financial sense? No. Would I get it if buying a Model 3? Probably. :)

The bigger issue will be that the Model 3, or the car everyone thinks about when mentioning a Model 3, won't be $35K.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
So can a model 3 owner who didn't purchase the free charge option still get charging at the superchargers if they pay for it? And if so, how much do they charge for a charge at a supercharger?

·
Banned
301 Posts
So can a model 3 owner who didn't purchase the free charge option still get charging at the superchargers if they pay for it? And if so, how much do they charge for a charge at a supercharger?
That is a good question and that is what we are waiting to see.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I just discovered this news from Autoline Daily - edition 1875. See their report at 3:49 here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCVDGDCW32s

So, my prediction that many will return their "foolish" deposit for the Model 3 is coming true as they learn that the Superchargers will not be free! I expected this, and I do hole for all TM drives that the Superchargers will be pay per-charge for everyone, and prevent the freeloaders who don't need it, but don't want to pay for it either.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I doubt this will make much difference to those to made reservations. It certainly won't to me.
Superchargers are mostly not convenient to cities but arranged to facilitate long distance travel.
Somewhere I saw that only something like 5% of total Tesla charging happens at superchargers.
So its hardly that big a deal since most of the charging is happening at home.
For example where I live, Teslas are very common and yet its something like 30 miles to the nearest supercharger.
I doubt that many owners are driving down there to get a "free" charge.

Actually I think the pay per charge model would be very good, if they can implement it, for the reasons already cited here.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Actually I think the pay per charge model would be very good, if they can implement it, for the reasons already cited here.
They'll do a one time charge just like they do with embedding the costs into the price of the S and the X. Pay-per-charge would increase the administrative costs.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
.... Considering that the supercharger network is specifically designed for long distance highway travel that is not likely.
Where does this statement come from?

.... Pay-per-charge would increase the administrative costs.
How is that?
The 3% credit card fees when they install card readers at SC stations so that Model 3's and Bolts and other CCS EV's Can BUY electrons, (with adapters that Tesla could sell).
Imagine having Money Coming In from the SC network,, for a change !!! Just an idea for Elon.....

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
How is that?
The 3% credit card fees when they install card readers at SC stations so that Model 3's and Bolts and other CCS EV's Can BUY electrons, (with adapters that Tesla could sell).
Imagine having Money Coming In from the SC network,, for a change !!! Just an idea for Elon.....
Employees will have to do bookkeeping of all sorts. Most of the Tesla owners here use a fraction of the juice they paid for (by their own admission), and the bookkeeping has already been done for that.

Then there's the maintenance on the card readers/payment processing equipment, etcetera.

Probably compliance officers to handle commerce regulators of every level..... lawyers.... the list goes on.

I think Musk already knows which method brings him the most cash, the fastest way. Just a guess there. After all, he was with Paypal for a bit.

Have you noticed how you and others are somehow on a first name basis with Musk? Just an observation. :D

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
They'll do a one time charge just like they do with embedding the costs into the price of the S and the X. Pay-per-charge would increase the administrative costs.
Gotta love the baseless certainty there. :rolleyes:

I think if Tesla's engineers are smart enough to program a car drive itself (Autopilot), they won't have too much trouble figuring out how to charge a customer money for a product. :p

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Gotta love the baseless certainty there. :rolleyes:

I think if Tesla's engineers are smart enough to program a car drive itself (Autopilot), they won't have too much trouble figuring out how to charge a customer money for a product. :p
Look up one post. ^

Tesla doesn't have to reinvent the wheel on payment processing. Again, I think Musk has some experience there already and chose the path he wants.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
...Employees will have to do bookkeeping of all sorts. ....
"Bookeepers", really? Aren't there 'computers' these days? I'm pretty sure most businesses use them these days.

Have you bought any gasoline lately? Used a credit or debit card lately?

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
"Bookeepers", really? Aren't there 'computers' these days? I'm pretty sure most businesses use them these days.

Have you bought any gasoline lately? Used a credit or debit card lately?
Worked in a larger business lately? I'm married to an accounting professional. It's a little more complicated than balancing your checkbook.

Let's put it another way. Do you think Tesla doesn't already have a staff just for paying the electric bills to all the various power utility companies around the country? Nah, it's just a bank of computer servers with the AI to deal with constantly changing rates, fees and regulations.

Now add several layers to that.......... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Where does this statement come from?

How is that?
Go to Tesla's website and look up the map/info for all supercharger stations in the country - they are strategically located mostly along highways and major stopping points of interstate travel (their map makes it quite obvious what their design was going for)

https://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

As for letting anyone charge at a Tesla supercharger (for a price) -- I don't see that happening. The last thing Tesla wants are other cars clogging up and creating a wait time for actual Tesla customers. They aren't in the game to make money or be a distributor network of electricity.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts