GM Volt Forum banner

How important is the AWD option for the Model 3?

• Reservation: Must have AWD

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Reservation: Don't want AWD

• Reservation: Prefer AWD, but won't wait for it

• No Reservation: Would want AWD

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • No Reservation: Wouldn't want AWD

Votes: 7 26.9%

Tesla Model 3 AWD Option

6K views 35 replies 19 participants last post by  Whatstreet 
#1 ·
I was speaking with one of my coworkers who has a Model 3 reservation, and he told me that he absolutely won't get one without the AWD option. I'm curious how many of you would demand AWD as an option for the Model 3. I've also added some poll options for those who don't have a reservation.

#3 ·
I think Elon said something to the effect of, the RWD will perform almost as good as the AWD in the snow and other adverse weather conditions because of their superior traction control software. I don't have a reservation for a Model 3 (waiting on a fully electric SUV with 200+ miles) but if I did, I would not opt for AWD.

#4 ·
As demonstrated in Norway, Tesla RWD does perform almost as well as a typical AWD car in snow due to superior traction control. It does not perform almost as well as an AWD Tesla, though.

Anything on proper snow tires does better than almost anything on all seasons, though...

#9 ·
Personally I wouldn't want a RD vehicle if buying NEW in 2017 and beyond unless of course it's a dedicated performance car and I wouldn't have to rely on it in bad weather.

So for me I wouldn't be interested in it. But on the other had I just bought a 2017 GMC Acadia and while I toyed with buying the AWD version for a $2K uncharge I cam to the conclusion that if I ever thought I would need AWD to get somewhere that FWD can't handle I probably shouldn't be out.

To bad the M3 isn't a FWD vehicle first and AWD as an option.

#11 ·
A winter test run between the TM Model 3 and a Chevy Bolt EV would be fun to watch and analyze. My bets are for the Chevy Bolt EV!

#12 · (Edited)
In the ICE world the advantage of FWD cars in snow was related to the mass distribution. More mass over the front wheels produced better traction. Without an engine in the front compartment, and the heavy battery pack on the floor, I'd expect a Model S to be better than a standard ICE RWD vehicle because the mass would be more over the rear wheels. Moreover, the torque of a motor can change much more rapidly than that of an engine, so traction control will be superior in an EV. Finally, because the battery pack in an electric will increase the mass, the traction will be better to begin with than what you'd find in a comparable ICE vehicle. So several advantages to the BEV. (Plus no need to heft sand bags into the back!)

Given all these factors, it wouldn't be surprising if a RWD BEV performed as well in snow as a AWD ICE vehicle. Assuming of course similar tires. Those make a big difference. On ice I'd take anything with studded snow tires over anything without.

#18 ·
Ask them when they put their reservation in, odds are if they reserved one prior to the actual reveal they won't get the full tax credit unless Tesla is willing to sandbag tens of thousands of US quarterly deliveries...

#15 ·
Not a reservation holder, but very interested in buying once you can get a reasonable build time after all pre-orders are satisfied.

Here in N. Texas AWD isn't really needed but every few years when we get an ice storm. Having never owned anything AWD, i kind of want one just for the hell of it, mostly for whatever increased acceleration/performance it would offer.

If the base model can do 0-60 in 5.6... I'd hope their awd model with the "big" battery could shave that down to 4.x

#17 ·
If when it is time to replace my Volt in 2024 or so the Model 3 is the best option make mine a maximum battery size RWD with leather interior as the only options please. Basically I want a 300+ mile FWD or RWD sedan for my next car to complement my wife's (hopefully BEV) CUV.

#21 ·
If when it is time to replace my Volt in 2024 or so the Model 3 is the best option make mine a ma7ximum battery size RWD with leather interior as the only options please. Basically I want a 300+ mile FWD or RWD sedan for my next car to complement my wife's (hopefully BEV) CUV.
Does anyone know whether the seats will be similar to the Model S? So far, I have disliked every Model S seat that I have sat in.
For reference, my favorite seats I've ever had in a vehicle were the Alcantara leather Recaros in my EVO X.

Ask them when they put their reservation in, odds are if they reserved one prior to the actual reveal they won't get the full tax credit unless Tesla is willing to sandbag tens of thousands of US quarterly deliveries...
They were an early reservation. They didn't line up day one, but it was within a week or two of reservations being open.

#19 ·
I want AWD for safer winter travel here in the PNW. I look forward to seeing how well my FWD does in my new Volt this next Winter season. One of my concerns is how low the Volt sits to the ground. If there is any depth to the snow I think it is going to plow and that will not be good. The Tesla with AWD hopefully will have an adjustable suspension height (air suspension)...that might be critical in some situations.

#20 ·
According to the Tesla Model S vs M3 comparison, coil springs only...If and when air suspension is available, it surely cost extra...

#24 ·
The real question will be how many can they make in the quarter that they hit 200k and the next one. If they can't make that many it will really limit who gets the tax credit. 1k per week is 24k cars, 10k is 240k cars, 15k is 360k, so they could potentially have all or most of the 400k reservations get the 7.5k credit if they can ramp production in the quarter than they hit 200k. Or if they can't then most of the reservations won't get the credit.

#32 ·
In April, less than three months from the planned start of Model 3 production, Tesla has received a massive order of robots for its production line. Hundreds of Kuka robots arrived at Tesla’s Fremont factory and are now being installed.

The person said that they are commissioned to install “467 robots and 21 KL slides” over the next seven and half weeks, which places the expected finish time in mid-June – or weeks before the planned started of Model 3 production.(anyone know if they can get this done on time?)

https://electrek.co/2017/04/25/tesla-model-3-robot-production-line-pictures/

#33 ·
They made a HUGE mistake. Because of the whole Paris thingy, Elon put "Vote Democrat" stickers on the robots. 1/2 of them unionized and went on strike yesterday, and the other 1/2 are at the welfare office complaining there are no jobs.

#36 ·
A performance version of the Model 3 is preferable. Also a HUD option would be nice as I'm wondering about looking at the large tablet PC in the middle to check speed, drive mode and range. At this moment a reservation gives a mid 18 delivery with no clue as to what will be available at that time. I bet the release of a performance version would increase reservations.

As a side note; I read that there will be a new Tesla roadster in 18.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.