1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts
They paid $5k for AutoPilot and recovered $20-$280?

So is that the actual value of AP?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Way too low of compensation.
What's sad is that to get Tesla lane assist + emergency braking one needs to pay $5,000 to add the Enhanced Autopilot semi-autonomous feature. Way too expensive for what one gets.
GM super cruise cost $5k and will you get better system without any false advertising.
Throw $3k extra at Tesla and it may kill you...

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
What's even sadder is the lawyers make out better than the aggrieved.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Way too low of compensation.
What's sad is that to get Tesla lane assist + emergency braking one needs to pay $5,000 to add the Enhanced Autopilot semi-autonomous feature. Way too expensive for what one gets.
GM super cruise cost $5k and will you get better system without any false advertising.
Throw $3k extra at Tesla and it may kill you...

I didn't get Autopilot because I don't think it is worth it, but I do have emergency braking. Lane departure warning is also standard.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
What's even sadder is the lawyers make out better than the aggrieved.
This is why Class Action lawsuits are going crazy now.

The defendant has to settle with the attorneys. It is cheaper to throw money at the attorneys than the plaintiffs. Hence many class action suits are nearly all 'legal fees'.

Fighting a Class Action is tougher than ever before. Fabricated news pollutes jury trials. Hence why everybody wants to settle. If your company did nothing wrong, it doesn't matter. The press will say it did and if enough money is spent, there won't be a jury that did not hear 'the company is guilty' before the trial starts.

In Tesla's case, they live on the internet so their odds of getting a fair trial would be small.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
This is why Class Action lawsuits are going crazy now.

The defendant has to settle with the attorneys. It is cheaper to throw money at the attorneys than the plaintiffs. Hence many class action suits are nearly all 'legal fees'.

Fighting a Class Action is tougher than ever before. Fabricated news pollutes jury trials. Hence why everybody wants to settle. If your company did nothing wrong, it doesn't matter. The press will say it did and if enough money is spent, there won't be a jury that did not hear 'the company is guilty' before the trial starts.

In Tesla's case, they live on the internet so their odds of getting a fair trial would be small.
Congress and the courts are making class action lawsuits a thing of the past. Companies will now be able to settle with individual participants, or force arbitration, and give each of them less than peanuts.

What's sad about this case is that Tesla (or Musk) have given autonomous features a bad name. That's not what's needed to move this technology forward and create acceptance.

G

·
I believe the unsatisfied Tesla Model S or X owner would gain more reselling the EV and getting more back than through such a class action.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Personally all I want from this technology is what I have on my 2017 Volt and GMC Acadia, ACC, FCA, FEB and LKA. But to get TACC on a Tesla don't you need to have either HW1 or HW2 activated. Maybe they should "dumb" down their stuff and let buyers buy just what they want and avoid all the drama.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Personally all I want from this technology is what I have on my 2017 Volt and GMC Acadia, ACC, FCA, FEB and LKA. But to get TACC on a Tesla don't you need to have either HW1 or HW2 activated. Maybe they should "dumb" down their stuff and let buyers buy just what they want and avoid all the drama.
Yes, with a Tesla you need to purchase AutoPilot to get TACC. That is the only feature I would like of what is currently available, but there is no way I'm paying $5k (or $6k now after the fact) for TACC.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Just a guess... but it seems like they were only compensated for the (months-long?) delay of activating Autopilot features after the unexpected switch away from the AP1 MobilEye hardware to the AP2 hardware.

I'm guessing the $20-$280 is just some kind of pro-rated value of the $5000 purchase price -- pro-rated over the expected life of the car, or something like that.

·
Registered
335 Posts

I didn't get Autopilot because I don't think it is worth it, but I do have emergency braking. Lane departure warning is also standard.
I looked to get the answer if lane departure is standard for M3 without EAP, and I could not find definitive answer.
If my turn comes to pickup M3 before credits expire, I will look deeper.
I am all ears what one gets in M3 without EAP (like lane assist, emergency breaking, etc).
Model S is different from M3.

Here is a quote from https://www.caranddriver.com/review...ew-performance-and-driving-impressions-review
"Tesla offers a fair number of active safety features as standard, but more advanced systems such as lane-keeping assist and adaptive cruise control are only included in the costly $5000 Enhanced Autopilot package. "

And that's where my opinion came that M3 without $5k EAP does not offer much in active safety.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts