GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.teslamotors.com/models/design

You can get into a new MS for about $67K (after the federal credit). It's essentially a 75kW battery electronically limited to 60 kW but can be unlocked after purchase if needed.

With a 15kW buffer you should be able to charge it to 100% daily w/o fear of any damage and you most like won't bump into the charging taper speeding charging times.

I wonder if this is an a solution to antsy M3 owners or admission that the M3 will be late. In any event this is a very interesting development and should drive down the cost of CPO's as well.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I think I just heard screams of agony of current S60 owners that were planning on selling their 60's soon...at least the ones without the residual value guarantee.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Minor correction. The cost is $66k before tax credits. $58.5k after the federal credit.
Thanks. That's even more compelling. I was out shopping for CPO in the mid fifties, for that you can by a high mileage S85. Granted it may have more options, but if buying new I think I could start off with just the Premium Upgrade Package for $3000 and drive off into the sunset a happy camper for about $62K. Then if you want you can add Auto Pilot for $3K and should you find the 210 mile range is insufficient you can unlock the battery (75kW) for $9K. I like that, it get's you into a new MS, you get the federal tax credit before it's gone. Brilliant move Tesla.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Having the ability to get an S60 for mid 50s or the S60D for 5K more sounds pretty impressive, especially when they're new with Autopilot hardware. Perhaps the preowned S60s price just crashed to Model 3 territory!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
https://www.teslamotors.com/models/design

You can get into a new MS for about $67K (after the federal credit). It's essentially a 75kW battery electronically limited to 60 kW but can be unlocked after purchase if needed.
I think it is a $10k software purchase, sort of like the $3k autopilot software. That is pure profit for them. Got to love Tesla. Wonder how long it will take for someone to hack this.

I do like to see the offering, and should be nice for battery longevity, not that it has been a problem for Tesla.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
This also includes Supercharging for free. This isn't like the previous S60 where you had to pay $2500 to enable it.
Helluva deal, for sure.

And, if anyone is really interested, here's a referral code that drops the price down another $1000: https://www.teslamotors.com/referral/kelly6703

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Now we know why a boat load of CPO model S's came on the market about a month ago... they wanted to sell the low price ones (always the first to go) before this new S60 hit the market!

Nice thing about this deal for anyone purchasing new is you can get the 60kWh battery, and wait for your income tax return and use that to pay for most of your battery upgrade to 75kWh.

Do a S60D and then upgrade to 75kWh and you only have 11 miles less range than the P90D (35 miles less than a plain old S90D)

Keith

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I think that Tesla is trying to boost revenue as the Model 3 will be later than predicted and Model S orders may be dropping off.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I think that Tesla is trying to boost revenue as the Model 3 will be later than predicted and Model S orders may be dropping off.
I can see someone leasing an S60 while they wait to purchase a Model 3... and if they fall in love with the S60 they may purchase one instead of a Model 3... more profit to Tesla! If a "base" S60 is going for $66,000 (plus destination fee and sales tax) it gives hope that a fully tricked out Model 3 will be 60K or less. But, I expect the S60 to go away when the Model 3 actually becomes available, so not holding my breath on a tricked out Model 3 being less than 60K.

Keith

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Actually I think the Model S backlog is very thin now and it's a move to simply boost sales.
You might be right. Their production lines of Model S/X are producing higher volumes, and the wait times for them are lower. Possibly even lower than ordering a new Volt from GM ;)

·
Registered
13,560 Posts
Nobody mentioned the other changes. The model 70, 70D, 85, and 85D disappear and there's a new model 75 and 75D. So the numbers are now exactly 15 apart at 60/75/90. I would have preferred they went with 75/90/105.

But the model 60 puts. Tesla within reach of more people, and it pretty much clobbers any chance that the CT6 PHEV with a guessed MSRP of $80k+ gaining any market share. So the 60D is really tempting, though I think I want a 90D for the extra range. This probably also seriously disrupts Mercedes, BMW's, Porsche's and other luxury carmakers ability to charge close to 6 figures for their electric offerings.

Brilliant move Elon. Now bring on a 45D for city dweller who never leave an 80 mile radius of their homes.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Or just picked up a used classic 60. Those should be going for under 40k now.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Or just picked up a used classic 60. Those should be going for under 40k now.

Not yet, but I would suspect the next batch of CPO's will see lower prices, even older S85's will probably take a hit. Last month my Tesla Sales Rep in Chicago found me a nicely loaded 2013 S85 for $54,700.

So FOURTY THOUSAND DOLLAR CPO's could be a reality very soon. Now that could but the hurt on VOLT and future BOLT sales.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Not yet, but I would suspect the next batch of CPO's will see lower prices, even older S85's will probably take a hit. Last month my Tesla Sales Rep in Chicago found me a nicely loaded 2013 S85 for $54,700.

So FOURTY THOUSAND DOLLAR CPO's could be a reality very soon. Now that could but the hurt on VOLT and future BOLT sales.
Since a new base S60 can be had for $66k - 7,500 = 58,500 (55,500 in MD after the $3k state credit), and offers way more features than a classic 60 (and can also be upgraded to a 75 at any point in time), I would say that immediately puts used classic 60's 3 years old with ~30-40k miles at the <$40k price point.

CPO prices may stay just above $40k for the time being, but I can see private sales now going for under $40k easily. Especially when someone can go "I can get a brand new 60 for $56k, so how can you even justify a price more than $40k for your 3 year old, outdated 60?"

·
Registered
3,192 Posts

You might get a few people to stop an think about it but I don't think it will have that much impact on the Volt or Bolt. Also many of the CPO Teslas that will hit that low in resale were not produced in large quantities.

As a similar analogy let say you have $30K to spend on a car. You could buy a used CPO BMW 5 series or you you could buy a near fully equipped brand new Malibu. Malibu sales are not suffering because of it. I don't see CPO Luxury cars having that big of an impact on new car sales.

·
2,356 Posts
Obviously they're stimulating demand. First with the $1000 discount referral program, now with this lower priced entry model.

The market for high-priced medium-range electric liftbacks is bigger than I thought, but it's not limitless. Tesla does a good job of making changes to keep the demand up just when the market starts to saturate.

This will help them meet or beat their second quarter delivery guidance and keep the growth story alive. It's unfortunate they'll have even thinner margins, selling 75 kWh of battery for 60 kWh prices.

·
Registered
162 Posts
nice... should be interesting to see what happens with these as CPO. TM will probably unlock the extra range and sell them as 75s.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts