GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://electrek.co/2017/09/01/tesl...-lower-interest-rates-boost-sales/#more-50821

Now with just a month left in the third quarter, Tesla is offering showroom discounts and lowering interest rates to boost sales before the end of the quarter.

Tesla offering discounts to boost sales has been a controversial subject in the past.

Elon Musk referred to it as a “no negotiation and no discount policy”, which differentiate Tesla from the dealership model.

But at the end of last year, Tesla was in a full ‘end-of-the-quarter push’ with more inventory cars and buyers reporting unusual discounts.

Musk sent an email to all employees to put an end to discounts and made a public stand about it.

Tesla employees have since been more careful about how they presented discounts to customers, but there have still been some unusual discounts from time to time.

But Musk made it clear that it was “fine to have a discount on cars that have been floor models”.

This week, several owners reported receiving a variation of this email offering a ‘up to $30,000’ showroom discount on P100D vehicles:

Hi [AmpedRealtor],

I hope this email finds you well.

I’m reaching out because we just announced an incentive on Model S and Model X P100D that I thought you may be interested in.

We are offering showroom incentives up to $30,000 off the original configuration price. This means you can lease Model S P100D for $1,500/month and Model X P100D for $1,600/month with 10,000 miles per year. Alternatively we are offering .99% APR financing or a cash purchase with the discount. These incentives are available for deliveries by September 30th 2017.

Lastly, we’ve reintroduced the Tesla Referral Program. You will receive a $1,000 credit towards the purchase of either a new Model S or Model X and Free Unlimited Supercharging.

It would be my pleasure to help you explore the options for a new Model S or Model X. If you are interested we can schedule a time for a call or if it is more convenient we can communicate via email.

Best regards,

*********| Sales Advisor

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In fact, if you don't mind a little mileage, you can get up to $36,000 off on some versions of the Model X, all of which have less than 5,000 miles on them.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Tesla's not so secret secret. Buy in the last month of a quarter. Just be prepared to act fast and take what they have. If I had $80K to $90K to spend that's how I do it.

So the rich get the discounts, guess that works for Tesla.

·
Registered
13,660 Posts
Also not a big surprise that model S and X sales might be softer than they'd like. Many Tesla fans are waiting for the model 3. If you can afford a model S or X, why not get two model 3s instead? Thus begins the new chasm...models S and X sales taper, Tesla needs to move every 3 that they can to keep the cash flowing, hopefully without stepping in something costly during manufacturing hell.

I received an email yesterday as a SolarCity stockholder.

Last year, SolarCity combined with Tesla to create the world's only vertically integrated sustainable energy company. As we continue to make changes to bring our two companies together, we are updating the SolarCity Privacy Policy to make it easier for our existing customers to learn about the products that are available as a result of this integration. In order to do this, we have revised the Privacy Policy to make it clear that SolarCity customer information may be shared with Tesla so that you can receive information about our products (like Powerwall, Solar Roof, and Tesla electric vehicles) directly from Tesla. In addition, the revised Privacy Policy provides updated information regarding our use of analytics and ad network providers. You can review the updated Privacy Policy by clicking here.

The updated Privacy Policy will go into effect on October 1, 2017. When you visit the SolarCity website after that date, the data we collect about you will be governed by this updated Privacy Policy. If you do not wish to have your SolarCity customer information shared with Tesla for Tesla's marketing purposes, you may opt out of this sharing at any time by clicking here.
Obviously a move to make solar city customers aware of Tesla products and vice versa.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
This seems to be a "bailout", as GM and other manufacturers have done before a new model year line arrives. I see plenty of "lot sales" here from all the importers (Asian and European brands) because 2017 was a bad year for car sales, due to the recession we have. So the importers pool their resources, dump all their unsold inventories into parking areas, and offer big discounts (up to 20% off listed prices), cutting into their profits. They also offer "no down payment" needed and low interests but for five and six year financing.

So Tesla is doing the same to empty their Model S lots before the Model 3 arrives. They are cutting into profits because a 5% loss on a sold car is better than a 100% loss of an unsold car.

·
Registered
13,660 Posts
This seems to be a "bailout", as GM and other manufacturers have done before a new model year line arrives. I see plenty of "lot sales" here from all the importers (Asian and European brands) because 2017 was a bad year for car sales, due to the recession we have. So the importers pool their resources, dump all their unsold inventories into parking areas, and offer big discounts (up to 20% off listed prices), cutting into their profits. They also offer "no down payment" needed and low interests but for five and six year financing.

So Tesla is doing the same to empty their Model S lots before the Model 3 arrives. They are cutting into profits because a 5% loss on a sold car is better than a 100% loss of an unsold car.
I don't think anyone takes a 100% loss on a car. All cars eventually get sold. I recall test driving a Crossfire that was new with 150 test drive miles on it selling for $15k after sitting in the lot for 5 years, heavily discounted from its $42k MSRP. I would have bought it if I could comfortably fit my 6'3" frame in the car, but this car was made for short people. The seats and roofline required me to choose between headroom and legroom, I couldn't have both.

I would like to see Tesla just drop their prices by $10k per halo car, new or demo, and really make a dent in the EV market. What they lose in margin they can make up in volume.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I stopped reading at $1500/mth for a lease with 10,000 miles. Who has that kind of money lying around? If I was in the Tesla market, I would just look for a used 2012 or 2013.

·
Registered
13,660 Posts
Just makes me that much happier I'm leasing my ELR for well under 1/3 of that price.
Sorry to hear you are leasing the ELR. I like the $0 per month, unlimited miles, unlimited term deal, but I'm weird that way.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I stopped reading at $1500/mth for a lease with 10,000 miles. Who has that kind of money lying around? If I was in the Tesla market, I would just look for a used 2012 or 2013.
That's my mortgage payment.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Who has that kind of money lying around?
I've wondered that myself sometimes. Like when I was cruising through Newport Beach on the PCH. Kids driving around in exotics like Maserati. Then I look up at the hills and bluffs and see the houses. "Oh, they do".

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts