GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
The good thing is that everyone got out and no one was injured. Makes a huge difference. Obviously, almost regardless of cause, your car should not burst into flames without at least some type of crash. And yes, expect Elon to start tweeting about short sellers sabotaging the Tesla demo cars. :D

·
2,356 Posts
Best guess is that this was something internal to the car. Road debris does not appear to be the cause, at least at this early stage.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Oh boy... The anti-EV mob is going to have a fun time with this one (While totally ignoring the fact that ICE cars have way more spontaneous fires than EV's do).

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Oh boy... The anti-EV mob is going to have a fun time with this one (While totally ignoring the fact that ICE cars have way more spontaneous fires than EV's do).
Do you remember when a number of Ferrari went up in flames when the oil leaked? That got a good play, probably because seeing a Veblen Vehicle go up in smoke makes all those without Veblen Vehicles snicker. And no one was seemingly physically injured.

This fire may not be anything at all, but Tesla is dealing with a string of issues, the cumulative weight of which likely gets any single one more attention. There is also some reversion to the mean in the coverage. Tesla got a lot of passes early on, and now you see the coverage swinging the other way. For example, Consumer Reports went from singing the praises of the Model S and recommending it to not recommending it and editorializing the Tesla should stop calling Autopilot Autopilot on grounds the name is misleading.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Prepare for a musk tweetstorm
Nobody on this forum should be rooting for Tesla to fail, especially not due to something like this. Tesla is the biggest voice advocating for electric vehicles and they're having a really positive influence on the masses. The last thing we want is for the general public to get a bunch of bad EV publicity.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nobody on this forum should be rooting for Tesla to fail, especially not due to something like this. Tesla is the biggest voice advocating for electric vehicles and they're having a really positive influence on the masses. The last thing we want is for the general public to get a bunch of bad EV publicity.
Agreed... and to go 1 step further, I almost just assumed no one of this forum would root for anyone / thing to fail... but I'm unrealistic as to human nature.

Back to the fire... I hope it was some sort of debris issue and not a battery thing.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I wonder how car that body burn so fast? I read somewhere that the Model S body is aluminum, but that needs high temperatures to burn. The flames could be from the interior materials (cloth and fake leather/vinyl).

GM had a conductive (and slightly flammable when dry) coolant in the Gen 1 Volt (remember the pack that caught fire two weeks after it was flipped and stored?), so I hope GM did change the formula to prevent that possibility. I also hope GM is using flame-retardant material inside the battery pack and elsewhere in the Gen 2 Volt. I believe that Tesla Motors has to change the materials in the battery pack to prevent such fires.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
How was his comment rooting for Tesla to fail?

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
One VERY nice thing about Tesla- if the cause turns out to be software related or software preventable-

I WILL GET IT FIXED WITHOUT LIFTING A FINGER IN THE NEXT OVER THE AIR UPDATE

GM, and all other manufacturers, need to figure this out. With GM, not only do you have to return to a dealer to get a software update, you will PAY for that software update if the car is out of the warranty period (a 1 hour labor fee...like WHY should I pay someone to do this when it could and should get into my car without anyone lifting a finger)

·
2,356 Posts
I completely agree that other automakers need to get on board with OTA updates. GM already does this to a limited extent.

I remain skeptical about the software preventability of a fire like this or the fire at the Supercharger in Norway. Certainly, in most cases the fault can be mitigated by software, but it may not address the root cause.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
One VERY nice thing about Tesla...."

Have you ever had a computer get screwed up after an update? I'm not so sure I'm a fan of getting in the car and finding out it's been modified overnight. I doubt this fire was a software issue. If it was software, that doesn't add confidence to the idea of Tesla doing OTA revisions.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I wonder how car that body burn so fast?

Looking at the only photo of the fire in progress so far, it looks like an interior fire. How do you accelerate an interior fire? Leave a door or two open. Flames shooting out the driver's side suggests at least one door was open. Whether or not this led to a thermal runaway of the battery pack is hard to know from the images/video shown.

Looking at this photo, it's easy to believe that the battery became involved at some point.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Mister Dave, in aviation we have a saying, the insurance company owns the airplane. If I'm exiting a burning vehicle I'm running away as fast as possible. Door left open too bad.

Edit - I have to say that fire is straight out of Hollywood, very photogenic.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Mister Dave, in aviation we have a saying, the insurance company owns the airplane. If I'm exiting a burning vehicle I'm running away as fast as possible. Door left open too bad.
I'm not sure it makes a lot of difference, other than how fast the fire consumes the car. I'd run away fast too. ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts