1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Administrator
20,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
They are going to have correct about 1,000 Tesla articles on the web that mention $35k starting price. :D

It was never $35k to begin with. It was $36k, but that's another story.

·
8,680 Posts
They still clearly show that they're planning to produce the short range version in "6-9 months" (Elon time?) - it's not like they suddenly decided there's never going to be a SR version. Not sure why they stopped showing notional pricing for the future version but that's all this seems to be.

I'm not sure how this is any different from the "late availability" options that other manufacturers advertise heavily and then don't deliver until the very end of the model year.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
This story is making the rounds, but my opinion has remained the same since I first saw it:

The significance of this is less about the fact that a $35,000 Model 3 won't be available for another year or so than it is about the fact that hundreds of thousands of people plopped down a $1,000 reservation because they thought they were getting a $25,000 Model 3 ($35,000 car with ~$10,000 in credits and incentives).

That dream is now gone. When even Tesla, who are extremely optimistic about their own delivery times, states that the small-battery Model 3 won't be available in time to take advantage of the $7,500 Federal Tax Credit, you know it's not happening. Essentially, so much for the idea that Tesla was going to be able to produce a superior EV to GM at a lower price.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Not sure why they stopped showing notional pricing for the future version but that's all this seems to be..
Odd since notional availability of a fully autonomous car hasn't been dropped and you can still pay for what you can't have there. That notion has been around even longer than the alleged $35K price.

Oh, that and if you did't buy it, it'll cost more when you do.

Tesla raises price of full self-driving option–if you wait for it to work before buying

Tesla has increased the price of a feature that doesn't yet exist—at least for customers who haven't bought it yet.
Apparently something that doesn't exist now costs more to produce?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
A buddy at work just got a Model 3. I finally had a chance to check it out. Looks better in person than the frumpy pictures of it online. He was on the reservation list. I know he paid north of $45K, but I didn't get a firm number.

Talking to him made me realize that there's an "Elon can do no wrong" mystique about Tesla and regardless of what we think they are building a brand loyalty that I'm sure puts chills down the spine of Big Auto. He also has a Model S. My guess is he may be a Tesla customers for life--likely get the Model Y at some point.

They are a tech company first, auto company second. His impressions of autopilot and all the connectivity with the car is what excites him and many others about Tesla. In his opinion, the car is leaps and bounds better than his 2014 Model S. I'll admit that the features he has, the 300+ EV range, and the performance aspects of the car do make it appealing--and perhaps even "rightly" priced as a 50K car.

I don't know if this company will be successful in the long term (financially), but this is the first legitimate "startup" auto company I've seen in my lifetime.

·
Super Moderator
6,269 Posts
These threads are hilarious. "Just because I read it on the internet it must be true."

"Short Range" Model 3 buyers will still get $3,750 off thru June 30th 2019.

https://www.tesla.com/support/incentives

Not sure if it will affect the 'best selling' *EV for the foreseeable future in the USA over the next few years!!!

Geez people, isn't that the goal to get as many EVs out as possible and do it in a $ustainable manner?!?!?! Or is it to trickle them out for seven years now like the 100+ year old companies like Ford, GM, etc.

Here are the comparable cars that we want to be passed up vs the ICE equivalent.
(or bigger group here: https://i.imgur.com/ueaqwWk.jpg):

Above graphic: https://insideevs.com/tesla-model-3-compared-dozens-competitive-vehicles/

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
They are going to have correct about 1,000 Tesla articles on the web that mention $35k starting price. :D

It was never $35k to begin with. It was $36k, but that's another story.
Tesla's "press kit" page continues to note that the Model 3 has a "starting price of $35,000 before incentives."
Maybe update the press kit too?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Got to pay to play.
Patiently awaiting for my $54k M3

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
These threads are hilarious. "Just because I read it on the internet it must be true."

"Short Range" Model 3 buyers will still get $3,750 off thru June 30th 2019.
Yup. Just 13% more, $35000 + 1000 - 3750 or $33,250. Add color, $34,250 and you are now at the median price for all consumer vehicles, which are mostly SUV/CUV/Pickups. A Camry is $23,495 in color with more base equipment.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
A buddy at work just got a Model 3. I finally had a chance to check it out. Looks better in person than the frumpy pictures of it online. He was on the reservation list. I know he paid north of $45K...
The lowest MSRP is $50,000 which is black with black interior before tax credits.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Easy to sell a $35,000 car for $50,000 and make a profit. Harder to sell a $50,000 car for $35,000 and make a profit.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
The average age of new car buyers in the US in 2018 is 52 years. This demographic has increasingly embraced crossovers and SUVs over sedans and coupes for the utility and ease of egress that comes with a taller platform and higher seating. The M3 is well positioned to go after the Audi A4, Mercedes A class and BMW 3 series but that market is not growing. Buyers will have to wait several more years before Tesla will have a small crossover product to compete with Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, Jaguar, Infinity and Lexus crossover vehicles. In the end I believe Tesla will offer a less expensive M3 but only after the market for the more expensive M3 configurations has been tapped. Future buyer interest will be concentrated on the Model Y. I hope the Model Y turns out to be a well designed crossover.

·
Super Moderator
6,269 Posts
The average age of new car buyers in the US in 2018 is 52 years. This demographic has increasingly embraced crossovers and SUVs over sedans and coupes for the utility and ease of egress that comes with a taller platform and higher seating. The M3 is well positioned to go after the Audi A4, Mercedes A class and BMW 3 series but that market is not growing. Buyers will have to wait several more years before Tesla will have a small crossover product to compete with Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, Jaguar, Infinity and Lexus crossover vehicles. In the end I believe Tesla will offer a less expensive M3 but only after the market for the more expensive M3 configurations has been tapped. Future buyer interest will be concentrated on the Model Y. I hope the Model Y turns out to be a well designed crossover.
Title: Elon Musk Confirms Tesla Model Y Debut Date
https://www.inverse.com/article/47000-tesla-model-y-elon-musk-confirms-debut-date

·
Super Moderator
6,269 Posts
Geez people, isn't that the goal to get as many EVs out as possible and do it in a $ustainable manner?!?!?! Or is it to trickle them out for seven years now like the 100+ year old companies like Ford, GM, etc.
Again, at least they are doing something in volume ...

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Again, at least they are doing something in volume ...
You should know better. You're on a GM EV site. You should know that coming into this year, GM had sold more plug-in vehicles than Tesla in the United States.

The fact that GM is metering Bolt EV and Volt sales in order to extend the Federal Tax Credit long enough to cover their two or three new, upcoming EVs shouldn't be cast in a negative light.

Kudos to Tesla for getting the first, high-volume EV manufacturing plant online, but let's not use that as an excuse for the way they treat their customers and employees.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Elon stated at the TSLA shareholders meeting a couple months ago, that the SR battery pack would be going into production late this year, with deliveries the early part of next year. He also stated they needed to get to at least 5000 cars a week (accomplished the end of June) before that could happen.

Can't wait for my Model 3 to arrive. I now have a VIN, and they have given me an offer for my trade-in. (The trade-in offer is a pittance, but for various reasons I'm going to take their offer.)

·
Administrator
20,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Musk tweet:
Need 3 to 6 months after 5k/wk to ship $35k Tesla & live.
Welp, after many delays and problems the 5k was hit, so.. the $35k model was removed, and the claim is now "6-9 months".

And in 6-9 months maybe it will be "another 3 months" and the price will be $39k or $42k.

So far, the only manufacturer who actually delivered a $35k, 200+ mile EV has been GM, and they did it on time. Production for the model year 2017 began in November 2016.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts