GM Volt Forum banner

Tesla Driver + AutoPilot = Fatal Crash, Felony Charges

3K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  scottf200 
#1 ·
A California driver relying on AutoPilot ran a red light, killed two people in another car. He's been charged with a felony.

Felony charges are 1st in a fatal crash involving Autopilot

Unfortunately, there will be more of these incidents as people over-rely on systems that are essentially beefed up cruise control, marketed as self driving but are NOT Level 5 automation. The driver is supposed to be fully engaged, ready to take over in a split second, not texting, watching a movie, climb into the back seat, etc. In other words, they need to be watching the road ahead, the road behind, the sides, ready to hit the brakes, steer on a moments notice.

#2 ·
Autopilot has never been marketed as self driving. The name is confusing, however, because it's the same term applied to aircraft automated cruise and navigation controls. Even aircraft autopilots are not autonomous, but most people don't understand this.

Reactions: Kato659 and RCB268
#3 ·
How do people get these ideas? Would people do stuff like this with a car sold with "Cruise Control"?
Last May, a California man was arrested after officers noticed his Tesla moving down a freeway with the man in the back seat and no one behind the steering wheel.

#6 ·
I worked in customer computer technical support for 40 years and saw no evidence over that time that people grew smarter or dumber.

More entitled? Yes.
Less patient? Yes.
Less cooperative? Yes.
More abusive? Yes.
More distracted? Heck yes!
But dumber? Nope.

By-in-large, I have a dim view of humankind and figure us to be an evolutionary experiment that was doomed to fail almost from the start. Since we've gained the technology to kill the majority of us it's only pure, dumb luck that's kept us from doing so. But we'll get there, sooner or later.

#10 ·
Hardware is not software. Musk needs an editor to ensure he says the right thing, but I can see how his statements would confuse people.

#12 ·
It's not just Tesla, this whole idea that the car can drive itself is being pushed by others as well. I do give extra points to Cadillac's SuperCrusie and UltraCruise. They actively monitor the drivers' eyes. Get distracted (or try climbing in the rear seat) and the system will shut off.

#13 · (Edited)
I do give extra points to Cadillac's SuperCrusie and UltraCruise. They actively monitor the drivers' eyes. Get distracted (or try climbing in the rear seat) and the system will shut off.
1) Your info/knowledge is out of date. Teslas with interior cameras are doing that now.

2) Many cars 'autosteer' (lane center) on highways now including ICE ones. Just some of them: Lane centering - Wikipedia (2nd image below)
More of them:
Cars . COM title: Which Cars Have Self-Driving Features for 2021? https://www.cars.com/articles/which-cars-have-self-driving-features-for-2021-433821/

#18 · (Edited)
Is the current version of Tesla's system even capable of recognizing traffic lights and stop signs? How badly did this driver screw up?
This accident did not happen with "Full Self Driving". It was just "autopilot" (ie - fancy adaptive cruise control) which doesn't identify nor stop for red lights. For all of its other problems, FSD does, and would have stopped for the red light in this case. It is actually very good at that (and in my experience better than most drivers at dealing with yellow lights and making a quick decision as to whether to stop or proceed).
My non-FSDBeta Tesla 2017 X stops for both stop signs and stoplights. You have to turn the 'beta' option 'on' and accept the terms and agree to pay attention.
I use this all the time with AutoPilot (=AutoSteer+Adaptive_Cruse {aka TACC}). It has had minor changes over time like if you are following a car (TACC) then it will go thru a green light without stopping while following the car directly ahead of you.
Again, I do not have FSDBeta. I do have the FSD computer (aka HW3) that is behind the glove box.
Aside: I did upgrade the infotainment computer (MCU1 -> MCU2) which made huge UI feeling and perf of some task.

My car also has an option to chime when the light or arrow turns green. It understands the lane you are in so if your light is red but the turning lane arrow turns green then it would not chime.

#23 · (Edited)
I think it's misleading to call any advance cruise control system an "autopilot" unless it's actually completely hands off full autonomy where no steering wheel or brake input are needed. When I think of autopilot I think of a yacht or a jet airplane where you can plot a course and have the system avoid any obstacle using other systems as TCAS, RADAR, and other sophisticated electronics while operating in the vastness of the open ocean or the air. The likelihood of hitting anything is low. There's very little need for constant adjustment due to traffic, pedestrain, road debris or any of those hazards.

GM aptly called their system, Super Cruise. Nissan calls it Intelligent Cruise ProPilot Assist.

Owners of Tesla with "autopilot" who paid $12,000 for a system that isn't even working yet should be very upset. But Elon didn't force them to spend that extra money either.
Like all cruise control, you shouldn't be operating it in city traffic with stop lights, construction and pedestrian walking about. Of course the owner of this Tesla need to face the consequences for his action or inaction but Tesla needs to share responsibility as well.

#24 · (Edited)
My kid is in the FSDBeta in his TM3 and uses it to go back and forth to work.
I paid $6K when I bought my TMX in Dec '17. Getting free camera upgrades (2.0 vs 2.5+) and already got the latest FSD computer upgraded free (behind glove box).

GM "Auto Pilot" name usage in the past.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.