GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Superchargers were highly subsidized from the beginning, so it had to stop sometime. As it is, there are still close to 200,000 vehicles in the United States alone that are running around with free Supercharging for life (I'm assuming Tesla can't simply pull that).

Maybe Tesla finally realized that every aspect of their business is going to need to stand on its own (i.e., be profitable), and they can't really afford cost centers anymore.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Tesla is laying off 3,150 employees (second time cuts) in a bid for profitability. They are doing the same for SpaceX (I think it's around 7,000 there). It seems they are recognizing that with new and lower priced competition coming down the pike, it's time to start paring the excess. Long term this can only be a good thing. The days of wine and roses are over and time to get down to business.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I started to warn folk about Demand Based Metering years ago as being anti-EV, and California led the charge anyways.
Most of your commercial bill is not for kWh's used, but the peak kW you hit during a month and during a year.
This is exactly what hurts EV fast charging, and is a mathematically ridiculous con job they submitted the CPUC who are mostly ex-utility executives.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Well based on that image from CA, is about $3.40 to go 30 miles assuming 3kw/mile.
Basically the same as a ICE sedan using gasoline, no $1 minute idling fees and no waiting for charging. Gas stations everywhere. Where is the benefit of owning a Tesla. With their range, I could charge at home 95% of the time using the 40 amp 14-50 plug. But for those who don't have convenient home charging with TOC benefits or solar, Tesla is an expensive and inconvenient option for transportation.

Didn't know there was an idling fee, what a bunch of BS, that is very inconvenient.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Tesla is laying off 3,150 employees (second time cuts) in a bid for profitability. They are doing the same for SpaceX (I think it's around 7,000 there). It seems they are recognizing that with new and lower priced competition coming down the pike, it's time to start paring the excess. Long term this can only be a good thing. The days of wine and roses are over and time to get down to business.
They should fire 90% of their middle management from what I hear from friends who work at the Gigafactory.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I wonder if the PUC's in each state, esp CA will start to step in and regulate rates?

·
Registered
110 Posts
And so it begins.... EV's will cost more to operate than ICE cars in many markets! Why accept range anxiety when it's not cost effective?

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Well based on that image from CA, is about $3.40 to go 30 miles assuming 3kw/mile.
Basically the same as a ICE sedan using gasoline, no $1 minute idling fees and no waiting for charging. Gas stations everywhere. Where is the benefit of owning a Tesla. With their range, I could charge at home 95% of the time using the 40 amp 14-50 plug. But for those who don't have convenient home charging with TOC benefits or solar, Tesla is an expensive and inconvenient option for transportation.

Didn't know there was an idling fee, what a bunch of BS, that is very inconvenient.
Actually, no. It's about 10 cents a mile for most Tesla vehicles (about 3.4 mi/kWh), and about 8 cents a mile for a Model 3 (4+ mi/kWh). That means that, while traveling, you are paying about the same as the most efficient gas powered vehicles on the road with current California prices.

As an example, a 50 mph ICE will cost about 7 to 8 cents per mile at current California gas prices.

·
Registered
623 Posts
The idle fee has been in place for about a year now. I don’t know if they have changed the rules on how it is enforced, but originally it would only apply if the supercharger location was more the 50% in use. The fee does accumulate from the 1st minute after charging ends, but you have a 5 minute grace period to move your vehicle at no cost. However, if you go over you will be charged from the time the charge ended, not when the grace period ended. The fee is just there to keep as many SC’s available as much as possible. High use locations in CA are why the fee was imposed to begin with. Btw, you will get notifications on your phone when you Vehicle is 10 minutes from charge ending. So you do have plenty of time in most situations to return to the vehicle to move it.

Btw, it’s mostly S and X that have “lifetime”supercharging and a couple thousand Performance 3’s ordered before September 17, 2018.

The free SC is now 6 months and up to 9 months if you didn’t get a test drive at a tesla store or test drive event with the use of a referral code. However, the referral program will officially end FEB 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Eh. So what? It's about the price of gas at the most, most owners shouldn't be doing most of their charging at superchargers anyway, and even if someone is Doing EV Wrong enough to be using superchargers as their sole charging, as a premium over the price of home charging, most Teslas will take 30k miles to cycle through enough kwh that the extra cost will be enough to pay for Lvl 2 + installation costs in the first place, and never ever pay for even one SC stall.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Let's not overegg the pudding. From the very beginning, Tesla estimated that people would use home charging 90% of the time, and Superchargers for about 10% of their miles. Presumably they based that upon driving statistics, the same ones GM used for Volt driving projections. How many people are using superchargers all the time? It's better for their battery if they don't. It's better for station congestion if they don't. And now it's better for their wallet if they don't.

I always like cheap electricity, but the current rates in New England averaged 22c/kWh. That's pretty much the same as the average residential rate in New England of about 20c/kWh. There was no monetary deterrent for Tesla drivers to not use the superchargers. If you had a Tesla, and the supercharger station was filled with local Teslas charging up for the week, while you were on a long-distance trip, having to wait would be annoying. Hasn't happened to me, but it sounds like it happens quite a lot in California.

The Superchargers' primary purpose is to make long-distance travel possible. In an ICE, gas station rest stops on the interstate, away from urban areas fill the same purpose, they make long-distance travel possible. Have you noticed? They charge MORE for a gallon of gas, than stations in your town. It's microeconomics at work.

And so it begins.... EV's will cost more to operate than ICE cars in many markets! Why accept range anxiety when it's not cost effective?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
...Didn't know there was an idling fee, what a bunch of BS, that is very inconvenient.
If you're waiting for a charger, you'll find it inconvenient if someone's car is sitting there, plugged in/filled up, and not charging.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Interesting snapshot in time that won't last long. Charging an I-Pace at an EVgo 350kW station is .17/kWh at the currently restricted speed of 84kW max. They charge .20/minute, and average speed is 72kW for 30 minutes.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Basically my point. They will have to remove the estimated fuel cost savings section from their website...

·
Registered
669 Posts
Basically my point. They will have to remove the estimated fuel cost savings section from their website...
You still should factor in the savings on routine service for EV's. Not much to do on an EV other than tires/wipers/12V battery replacement. Should be significant over time.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Why? They base the savings upon residential charging, not supercharging.

The average person drives between 10,000 and 15,000 miles and spends between $1,000 and $1,500 on gasoline per year. In comparison, the cost of electricity to power Model 3 over the same distance is up to three times lower. Over the six year average length of car ownership, that's between $4,300 and $6,400 in gasoline savings.

We've assumed a fuel economy of 28 miles per gallon for a comparable gasoline powered sedan, for example, the 2017 BMW 3 series. We've also assumed the national average of $0.13 per kilowatt-hour for electricity and $2.85 per gallon for premium gasoline over the next six years. -- Tesla

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts

Pretty broad statement based on what? Teslas charging almost as much as gasoline for people using SC on long trips? What about the vast majority who charge at home for most of their driving?

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
DCFC ain't exactly cheap either.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Pretty broad statement based on what? Teslas charging almost as much as gasoline for people using SC on long trips? What about the vast majority who charge at home for most of their driving?
Clearly this all depends on what state you live in. I'm fine with my Volt in PA but charging at home is already over 20 cents per kWh in many states and gas is currently quite cheap in most of the country. My concern is the ever increasing kWh cost, even at home.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts