GM Volt Forum banner

Tesla Destination Charging Stations

6K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  mczajka 
#1 ·
Today my wife and I checked in to a B&B in New Smyrna Beach, FL to celebrate our 41st anniversary. Went here last year too, but didn't have our 2017 Volt. The B&B had a newly installed Tesla charging station. Was I ever so surprised to find that Tesla paid for the installation of the station, which also included a 240 Volt charger compatible with our Volt! I am wondering if all Tesla destination charging stations have both options?? Anyone know?

Thank you Tesla!

#8 ·
There are eight Tesla superchargers at Woodman's grocery in North Aurora IL. If there is a J1772 there, would it be an extra hose on one of the chargers? I haven't really examined them closely because I was so steamed to see so many Tesla chargers and nothing for me. Have only seen one Tesla charging there, one time. Most of the time all are empty. No one at the store knows anything about this, so there's no one to ask.

#4 ·
Huh, thanks for pointing this out, N8XWB. This must be old news to EV enthusiasts, but for us new comers, this changes things when planning road trip. Wish I knew before my Thanksgiving roadtrip.

#6 · (Edited)
Tesla's Destination Chargers help fill in some of the gaps when wandering away from their SC network.

We stayed at Hilton Garden Inn in Solomon MD while visiting my kids for thanks giving and I suggested they install a basic Level 2 EVSE to the desk clerk. She said they allowed a Tesla to use an outdoor outlet during their stay. I tried explaining all the different options and I could see it was just too complicated. It dawned on me that this is the crux of the matter, all the different choices.

We need a common plug like the nozzle at a gas pump.

#7 ·
Tesla's Destination Chargers help fill in some of the gaps when wandering away from their SC network. I stayed at Hilton Garden Inn in Solomon Island while visiting my kids for thanks giving and I suggested they install a basic Level 2 EVSE to the desk clerk. She said they allowed a Tesla to use an outdoor outlet during their stay. I tried explaining all the different options and I could see it was just too complicated. It dawned on me that this is the crux of the matter, all the different choices.

We need a common plug like the nozzle at a gas pump. We can't build out the charging infrastructure based on multiple plugs and charging rates.
The only one that can handle everything - one or three phases AC and DCFC - in a single plug is the European Tesla standard - Mennekes/Type 2.

#12 ·
The charger station(s)I referred to in the original post are not superchargers. One has a Tesla plug and Tesla logo on the charger. The other has a J1772 plug and the charger has Envirospark on it. I am told that Tesla installed both at no charge! I might add that Chargepoint only indicates that this is a Tesla charge stations....what a great Thanksgiving gift!

#15 ·
Good to know others are asking for this. I had a friend of mine with Tesla contact a bunch of locations in So. MD, but they just don't get it yet. It probably doesn't hurt to ask or email these hotels and perhaps they will get it at some point. Looks like a Holiday Inn Express near there just installed a couple J1772's, but it's on the other side of the bridge, and they haven't been activated yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.