GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-tesla-campaign-20160615-story.html

Tesla claims its vehicles make up 62% of all electric vehicles registered in the state of Connecticut. That statement would be true...just as long as you disregard ALL PHEVs as EVs like the Volt and Ford Fusion Energi....which are only #2 and #3 in plug-in sales so far this year.

More of Elon's reality distortion field at work. Teslas actually make up 24% of all EVs (including PHEVs) in the state, which is actually pretty impressive considering the high starting price, lack of eligibility for CT's EV tax credit, and fact they can't even legally sell cars in CT.

So why the need to distort the facts, Elon? In the meantime, I'll just continue to drive my amphibian Volt, which isn't an EV I guess.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
"The different claims about the number of electric cars registered in Connecticut involves the question of how you define an electric vehicle. The state counts all plug-in vehicles, including battery-powered cars like Teslas and hybrids that have both electric batteries and gas engines."

I guess it depends on what YOUR definition of Electric Vehicle is. I always though the Volt was a "Range-Extended Electric Vehicle"

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Tesla should be able to sell their cars without dealers, which was the question which prompted Tesla's claims. Hard to see any real justification for a state mandating a dealer model. Not sure it helps to exaggerate when making the argument.

·
Registered
284 Posts
http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-tesla-campaign-20160615-story.html

Tesla claims its vehicles make up 62% of all electric vehicles registered in the state of Connecticut. That statement would be true...just as long as you disregard ALL PHEVs as EVs like the Volt and Ford Fusion Energi....which are only #2 and #3 in plug-in sales so far this year.

More of Elon's reality distortion field at work. Teslas actually make up 24% of all EVs (including PHEVs) in the state, which is actually pretty impressive considering the high starting price, lack of eligibility for CT's EV tax credit, and fact they can't even legally sell cars in CT.

So why the need to distort the facts, Elon? In the meantime, I'll just continue to drive my amphibian Volt, which isn't an EV I guess.
Of all battery only vehicles tesla makes up 62%. They didn't make anything up.

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
Of all battery only vehicles tesla makes up 62%. They didn't make anything up.
It's simply B.S. to claim (as some do) that the Volt is not an EV simply because it has a backup fuel source. Might as well base "we sold more" claim on car color, or tire size, they are equally meaningless.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
It's simply B.S. to claim (as some do) that the Volt is not an EV simply because it has a backup fuel source. Might as well base "we sold more" claim on car color, or tire size, they are equally meaningless.
I don't think it is meaningless, but likewise, I think they could have been more clear.

BEVs and EREVs are a different category of car. Musk could have said BEV, or all-electric vehicle to be more accurate to those familiar with the terminology. Doing so, however, would not make a lot of sense to the majority of the public.

He also could have given the percentage of EVs in the same price category (which would have been an even higher number). However, the wordier you get the more you loose most readers/listeners, even if it provides more accuracy.

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
I don't think it is meaningless, but likewise, I think they could have been more clear.

BEVs and EREVs are a different category of car. Musk could have said BEV, or all-electric vehicle to be more accurate to those familiar with the terminology. Doing so, however, would not make a lot of sense to the majority of the public.

He also could have given the percentage of EVs in the same price category (which would have been an even higher number). However, the wordier you get the more you loose most readers/listeners, even if it provides more accuracy.
So all I need to do to conform to Musk's view of the world is yank out my engine? lol I wonder what he calls the BMW i3? I guess some i3's are an EV but the same car with the backup engine is not worthy? It's this kind of garbage that makes me lean away from Tesla's holier than thou priesthood of what it takes to be an EV.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I actually agree with that line of thinking. To me, the Volt is not a pure EV, and nothing short of pulling the ICE components out completely will change that. While I acknowledge that it is also not the same as other hybrids (including the PiP and Energi twins), it is still not a pure EV such as the Leaf, Tesla, and non-REX i3. Regardless, at the end of the day, we're just arguing over classifications and semantics.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I actually agree with that line of thinking. To me, the Volt is not a pure EV, and nothing short of pulling the ICE components out completely will change that. While I acknowledge that it is also not the same as other hybrids (including the PiP and Energi twins), it is still not a pure EV such as the Leaf, Tesla, and non-REX i3. Regardless, at the end of the day, we're just arguing over classifications and semantics.
You may think one way, but the state definition concurrs with the SAE definition that an EV is any vehicle with an electric powertrain, including hybrids. I think Musk's definition is for BEVs, not all EVs.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
FWIW, I think it is silly that Tesla can't legally sell cars in CT. Just wish Tesla and Elon would stop cherry picking figures to make themselves look better. Saying Teslas make up 24% of all plug-in electric vehicles in the state where they can't legally sell them would have been enough of a statement by itself.

It'd be like GM going "The 2017 Volt is the only plug-in electric vehicle that can travel over 400 miles at a time without stopping!***"
***plug-in EVs with less than 25 miles of EV range were not considered, sorry Ford Fusion/C-Max Energi and PiP. And Tesla...psssh, you can't even go 300 miles without stopping

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
So all I need to do to conform to Musk's view of the world is yank out my engine? lol I wonder what he calls the BMW i3? I guess some i3's are an EV but the same car with the backup engine is not worthy? It's this kind of garbage that makes me lean away from Tesla's holier than thou priesthood of what it takes to be an EV.
Musk never said that. If you read that into his statements I certainly see why you would have that opinion.
It is not a value judgement, which you are making it into. It is a definition.

By the definition you mention, the Prius is an EV as well. Does that make the Volt and Prius tha same? Of course not.

Elon (or the reporter, or the reporter's editor), in this case, used the term EV in place of BEV. Since 98% of the population probably has no idea what a BEV is, I can't argue with that decision. Especially if it came from an editor.

If you are going to constantly inject value judgements into Tesla's statements, you are of course always going to find them.

If you assume there is some marketing spin in Tesla statements, as there are with all companies, you may find it less bothersome.

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts

If there is anything I've learned in getting into the "electric car" world is that these types of forums are crazy out of norm as far as people understanding how "electric cars" work. I just don't get hung up on this stuff anymore as it is petty/pedantic to me and waste energy. They only thing I clarify or correct when I talk to people is a "prius-like" hybrid where the gas engine charges the battery vs "volt-like" hybrids where they plug into the wall to charge the battery.

I've learned to appreciate what Tesla has done to get "electric cars" out in the publics mind and media. GM would not have built the Volt without Tesla (see interview I regular point to) and I seriously (!) doubt GM would have built the Bolt. I give Tesla a lot of leeway in articles and presentations as they keep things simple for the public and, of course, the promote, promote, promote.

I just don't get hung up on this stuff anymore and am VERY happy the world has had a turning point. (I predict the China car movement will get peoples attention. That's a lot of people and a lot of potential electric cars)

Update: Lyle's interview with Bob Lutz - awesome...
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?5757-Lyle-s-interview-with-Bob-Lutz-awesome...
As a surprise the father of the Volt, former GM vice chairman Bob Lutz, came out and gave closing remarks.
Lutz complimented Jon Lauckner, who also attended, the former GM VP who actually advised adding the range extender as opposed to the pure electric model Lutz initial envisioned. Lauckner had to push the GM board to allow the car to be produced, something they were initially against.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
You may think one way, but the state definition concurrs with the SAE definition that an EV is any vehicle with an electric powertrain, including hybrids. I think Musk's definition is for BEVs, not all EVs.
Which state? And can you reference or cite where the SAE identifies all hybrid vehicles as EVs? So, by their definition, a Gen 1 Prius is an EV? I don't agree, and I don't see the need to get into an argument over the semantics of glorified marketing terms.

The Energi twins and the PiP all require the ICE under normal driving conditions, so they really can only be classified as plug-in hybrids. I'm willing to concede that the the Volt and the i3-REX should have a special classification (EREV), because they are the only two plug-in hybrid vehicles that can still fully function without a drop of gasoline in them.

Again, though, this is semantics. And for purists, if the vehicle has an ICE, it's not a pure EV.

·
2,356 Posts
...Tesla will likely provide both pure electric and range extended electric drive options in the future. We refer to the latter as a REEV (Range Extended Electric Vehicle) to distinguish it from "hybrids," which are really just gasoline engine cars with a small electric motor and tiny battery.
--Elon Musk, December 21, 2007.

Since they don't build them, Tesla has since decided that EREVs aren't really electric vehicles. Whatevs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts