GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1


In a recent interview...

“Musk said he hasn’t had any discussions with Apple beyond iPhone integration, and isn’t looking to be acquired by anyone until he can produce “a compelling, affordable car” that is less expensive than the Model S and nicer than Nissan Motor Co.’s electric-powered Leaf.

"With the Model S, you have a compelling car that’s too expensive for most people,” he said. “And you have the Leaf, which is cheap, but it’s not great. What the world really needs is a great, affordable electric car. I’m not going to let anything go, no matter what people offer, until I complete that mission.”

Read more at The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130526/AUTO01/305260005#ixzz2UP44hakV
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
20,018 Posts
In other words, Tesla is for sale but just not yet?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,936 Posts
Businesses are bought and sold all the time.
Musk is simply saying that their is no way the company would be sold prior to reaching his goal.

As for the less expensive BEV, that has been the plan for many years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,094 Posts
But Mr Musk is also a person with a personal goal, about developping and putting on the market an
great and affordable electric car.
You can bet that this CEO has the will and perseverance to meet his goal.

And, with the history of Tesla so far, the probability that he effectively succeeds
seems better for me than the probability that he would fail.

Francois
B2653
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Francois : Exactly!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And, then, there's this...

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,890 Posts
Keep in mind that Musk only owns 28% of Tesla stock. So it would not be as simple as him just "selling" the company anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,409 Posts
No they don't. When somebody's internal-goal-driven, the only thing you can buy them is their goal.

I think it's pretty clear that the billionaire Elon Musk doesn't trust other people enough to achieve his goals for Tesla and SpaceX.
Oh sure there there is. If someone offered Musk $1T for his stake it would be sold tomorrow. But who would offer?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,542 Posts
Of course. You don't expect he'll still be CEO when he's Supreme Overlord of Mars, do you?
Lol. GM take notice and start extolling the virtues of the range extender, cold weather engineering, and some of the other attributes that Voltec has the give it an edge over Tesla... after you put in a *line* of vehicles that is.

The rest y'all carmarkers, be afraid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
Lol. GM take notice and start extolling the virtues of the range extender, cold weather engineering, and some of the other attributes that Voltec has the give it an edge over Tesla... after you put in a *line* of vehicles that is.

The rest y'all carmarkers, be afraid.
Not only should GM promote Voltec for its advantages. They had better damn good and well pay attention and be VERY worried. Elon already has a 300 mile (advertised) capable EV with the 85 kw Model S. How out of reach would it actually be for him to push that another 100 miles? All he would really have to do is re-program the controller for efficiency, and put that in a car about the size of the Volt. Combine this with his push to get HVDC charging infrastructure in place, and you have a viable 320 mile EV with the means to go anywhere. From where I live, I would only need a fast charging station in Gillette, WY to make such a vehicle viable for my trips to CO. That drive covers 90% of my road trips. The remaining 10% would simply be done in the truck. Even with it's just barely 20 mpg fuel economy under my driving style to cover that final difference, I'd still be taking another nice chunk off of my overall gasoline consumption.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top