1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
As I understand it those are high rate DC chargers. The plug used is immaterial. Its a benefit for the top of the line Tesla with an option on board to use those chargers.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
The issue is not the plug, the issue is whether other cars than the Tesla model S are capable of charging at 90kW. Our Volt charges at 10 miles per hour tops, the supercharger at a 300 miles per hour rate. Spending half an hour at a roadside fast food joint gets you 150 miles in the Tesla and 5 miles in a Volt. Its need some technology in the car. The stations or plugs are the least of the problems.

By the way: brilliant marketing ploy to call this 'solar charging stations'. Technically the solar cover that makes little sense, but it does wonders for ECO street cred among the technically illiterate.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Tesla's charge system is simply better. The connection on the vehicle is smaller and can supports level 1,2 or 3 charging. Due to its size it is easier to discreetly 'hide' on the vehicle. Also making for better airflow over the car due to fewer breaks in the surface.

Have you seen the size of the 'frankenplug'? No thanks:)

In addition, it supports faster charging than CHAdeMO. Starting out at the luxury end of the market, that more elegant look plays an important part as well.

Was it a mistake? Possibly. I can definitely see why Tesla went with it though.

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
This article seems like pure conjecture looking for a problem.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
By the way: brilliant marketing ploy to call this 'solar charging stations'. Technically the solar cover that makes little sense, but it does wonders for ECO street cred among the technically illiterate.
I'm not sure that it makes little sense. I think that the main purpose (outside of marketing) is offsetting the cost of the installation. Depending on the size of the array, it might offset the charging of one vehicle every five or so days, which could be huge. No doubt, the system has to be built with a grid-tie inverter, but especially for the first year or so, I'm willing to bet that the solar panels would produce more power than the station puts out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, if it's on the internet it has to be true, right? Anyhow, aren't there adapter things to address "the proprietory<sic> electrical plug" issue?

--RCB
AFAIK Tesla's plug is backwards compatible with the SAE Combo, but not CHAdeMO. Not that it matters since CHAdeMO is crap anyway.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
The article is just a 'Sky is Falling!' opinion of the author, based upon nothing more than his/her own feelings.

I disagree with the author's conclusion, as I feel Tesla is going about things in the right way. They are pushing the envelope, paving a road which has not existed before. Lead and let others follow. Tesla is doing exactly what a company manufacturing an expensive pure BEV with a proprietary plug should be doing - taking care of their own customers by expanding their range capability. And by making the remote recharging stations exclusive to Tesla EVs, Tesla owners are ensured first-in-line status, which IMO is brilliant marketing.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Brilliant would be marketing a product to adoring many thousands of owners and want to be owners. I wonder how many Tesla's I'll see driving from Ontario to Florida next week? Owning a Tesla is going to be like driving a Citroen for a while yet. If they become successful, the lineups at the supercharger stations are going to resemble border crossing points.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts