GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tesla’s Elon Musk Emails Employees About Internal Sabotage Investigation

CNBC reported that Musk sent an email to employees early Monday pointing out a factory fire and potential employee sabotage. Then, the news agency received access to an email the CEO sent late Sunday night stating that there was an employee inside Tesla that has been sabotaging operations. Many Tesla employees have confirmed that they did, in fact, receive these emails.

Musk explained to his employees that this internal saboteur has used a false username and changed code to the Tesla Manufacturing Operating System, as well as exporting significant amounts of highly sensitive data to unknown outside sources. He asked employees to remain extra vigilant over the next few weeks, during the Model 3 production ramp since this is a time that outside forces may be highly motivated to intervene. An investigation is currently underway.

At this point, aside from the email, little details are known. Tesla has not yet commented on the email. The culprit has been identified and has admitted some of his actions. According to Musk, they’re “pretty bad.” The employee said he chose to carry out the actions since he wasn’t promoted. We don’t know if he’s been arrested related to the matter, and Tesla is still trying to determine whether or not he acted alone and to what degree outside sources are involved. We will update this article as new information becomes available.
More at Inside EVs.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
If this is true I hope Musk gets assistance from the FBI to track down and prosecute this employee under Federal Computer Fraud and Misuse Statutes. This is a serious crime and could actually jeopardize not only Tesla's manufacturing but also the software being installed in their cars, jeopardizing the drivers of those cars.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Just imagine what they could have done by using ota updates to change the code in the cars on the road. i hope they have safeguards in place to prevent it.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
With all that intrigue I smell a movie in the works. I hope Tom Hanks pays a leading roll.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
First the founders of Tesla Motors, then the White House, then the stock market, then his suppliers, then the IIHS, then Top Gear, then the media, then the NTSB, then his management team, and now his employees. Dude has a lot of enemies.

The guy just can't get a fair shake.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First the founders of Tesla Motors, then the White House, then the stock market, then his suppliers, then the IIHS, then Top Gear, then the media, then the NTSB, then his management team, and now his employees. Dude has a lot of enemies.

The guy just can't get a fair shake.
Musk said:
As you know, there are a long list of organizations that want Tesla to die. These include Wall Street short-sellers, who have already lost billions of dollars and stand to lose a lot more. Then there are the oil & gas companies, the wealthiest industry in the world — they don’t love the idea of Tesla advancing the progress of solar power & electric cars. Don’t want to blow your mind, but rumor has it that those companies are sometimes not super nice. Then there are the multitude of big gas/diesel car company competitors. If they’re willing to cheat so much about emissions, maybe they’re willing to cheat in other ways?
Right, Volkswagen and Audi (and Chrysler?) are out to get you. I can empathize, but this is a little over the top. He doesn't even know what was compromised yet and he indicts outside forces he can't convict, except through public opinion.

This is the kind of thing that cheapens the perception of upper management at the company. It's having a Mean Girls feel.

It doesn't surprise me that he has an "I'm being bullied" approach to controversy. But his critics are his best guidance. It's a hard lesson to learn, that.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
you cant write this stuff

I want to know who, Tesla data was leaked to
Elon Musk is worried about stock prices. So it was leaked to financial reporters. Since Tesla Motors has an "Open IP Portfolio" per Elon Musk, exactly what is there to leak except negative info about company financials.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I remember when a SpaceX rocket was shot down by saboteurs. Oppss... I mean improper temperature control of the LOX.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
He can blame outside forces all he wants. That's the PR game, and it comes from the same playbook the president has used for years -- create a boogy man and blame the mysterious "other". It's a great way to foment fear, but it works a lot better in politics than in business.

As for an insider with keys to the software, that really is something to fear. As cars become more and more like computers, the dangers of a rogue software hacker (on the inside or the outside) are a real concern. They can literally put your life in jeopardy.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 70k+ Miles
518 Posts
It wouldn't be surprising if this was corporate espionage from China or elsewhere. Sabotaging systems to hurt the hand that feeds you can be from a disgruntled employee. Stealing data isn't. It's theft and espionage.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Wow. Just wow. I knew Tesla was heavily into hyperbole in it's marketing and schedules, but ...

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...r-sabotage-elon-musk-gigafactory-martin-tripp

A non-programmer is accused of arson, stealing IP, threatening to shoot everyone, hacking their server, framing other employees for crimes, embedding rogue code, etc, etc.

That's Elon Musk saying that.

Elon sounds a lot like a meth-addled idiot. He needs to hire a real lawyer & zip it. Elon could be in big trouble, and it's probably time to step down.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow. Just wow. I knew Tesla was heavily into hyperbole in it's marketing and schedules, but ...

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...r-sabotage-elon-musk-gigafactory-martin-tripp

A non-programmer is accused of arson, stealing IP, threatening to shoot everyone, hacking their server, framing other employees for crimes, embedding rogue code, etc, etc.

That's Elon Musk saying that.

Elon sounds a lot like a meth-addled idiot. He needs to hire a real lawyer & zip it. Elon could be in big trouble, and it's probably time to step down.
I thought you were kidding. Then I read the article.

Q2 reporting coming at the end of the month. Less than 2 weeks and they're only claiming 3500/wk, not 5000. I smell an excuse coming, and a pretty lousy one.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I thought you were kidding. Then I read the article.

Q2 reporting coming at the end of the month. Less than 2 weeks and they're only claiming 3500/wk, not 5000. I smell an excuse coming, and a pretty lousy one.
The production numbers don't make sense. There is huge % of reservations that are promised delivery by July 31, but they only called a handful to config.

·
Registered
16,17 volt
954 Posts
but the stock is at 370.00
lets blame it on china
would there be any money for cutting edge r&d , autonomous software that hasn't made it to the cars, battery composition and assembly, maybe

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
but the stock is at 270.00
lets blame it on china
would there be any money for cutting edge r&d , autonomous software that hasn't made it to the cars, battery composition and assembly, maybe
The stock is very erratic. It's about where it was last year, $350. But the debt has increased. And they are still sitting on almost 1/2 billion in deposits on the Model 3 alone. This like a short term debt.

Next quarter is going probably going to be the tipping point. It's going way up or way down. No significant profit in 2018Q3, and that will show the Model 3 is not entirely viable at it's price point.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts