GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Volt that makes the usual 1-chirp or 2-chirps when I plug it in at night or at work. About a month ago, I plugged it in and it chirped 10 times. Just like the 1- or 2-chirps but it just kept on going. Then it charged completely normally and threw no codes or warnings. Now in the past few weeks it will do the 10-chirp thing IN THE NIGHT every now and then. Last night it did this twice. Again, no codes or warnings and it charged normally. I have searched the web but can't find any reference to this behavior. Has anyone else experienced this or have any idea what it is about? Neighbors may not find this too cool if it keeps it up. Thanks!

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'd suggest going into the Personalization menus on your infotainment display. Then go into Vehicle Settings and select Comfort and Convenience. That section has two settings that you can experiment with: 1) Charge Power Loss Alert, and 2) Charge Cord Theft Alert.

Turning one or both of those features off may help if brief power brownouts/outages occur during the night.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Is it possible that you have a power failure during the night ? Never had something like what you experience.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I turned those off in settings. A power sag can cause charging to reset.

Wish I could turn off the dang horn beeps for 'car left on' and 'fob in car' since I do these things on purpose.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts

Wish I could turn off the dang horn beeps for 'car left on' and 'fob in car' since I do these things on purpose.
You can turn the horn beeps off for the KeyFob left in car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd suggest going into the Personalization menus on your infotainment display. Then go into Vehicle Settings and select Comfort and Convenience. That section has two settings that you can experiment with: 1) Charge Power Loss Alert, and 2) Charge Cord Theft Alert.

Turning one or both of those features off may help if brief power brownouts/outages occur during the night.
Thank you for these suggestions. I have 1) already enabled and I will do 2). But I do not think this is it. The sound is different. Power loss and theft alert are full on horn blasts that do not stop. What I am hearing are chirps -- like the chirp(s) you hear when you plug in, only 10 of them in a row. It happened again last night.

I charge at 120V and I am going to try backing down to 8 amp to see whether I hear the late night chirps less often or at all at 8 amp. I have been charging at 12 amp for 2.5 years without incident however.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your reply. What is perplexing is that in the past I've had (not at my house, but elsewhere) a power sag like that and the Volt is pretty aggressive about letting you know when you get back in the vehicle. In this current case there is no message about anything awry. The other oddness is the 10-chirp pattern. It seems strange that there would be 10 power sags in a row uniformly each time this happens.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Mine has done this while plugging in occasionally.
Can't explain it.
It is the same soft pitch horn as power loss alert, not the full horn blasts of charge theft alert.

It is also the same sound the car will make when it says 'not enough time to complete charge', but it seemingly goes on forever.
(That alert is 6? horn chirps, IIRC)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Volt Advisor

Consider contacting a Volt advisor. You can call them at 1-877-4-VOLT-INFO. Or log onto myvolt.com with your Onstar credentials and initiate a chat session. See partial screenshot below.

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,152 Posts
Be aware Volt Advisors are not technicians, but they can and will make a dealer appointment for you. If you expect them to diagnose problems you'll be disappointed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine has done this while plugging in occasionally.
Can't explain it.
It is the same soft pitch horn as power loss alert, not the full horn blasts of charge theft alert.

It is also the same sound the car will make when it says 'not enough time to complete charge', but it seemingly goes on forever.
(That alert is 6? horn chirps, IIRC)
Thank you, I was beginning to fear that mine was the only Volt in America doing this. It would be benign except for the frequency with which it is occurring with my Volt since the first instance a few weeks ago. Pretty much every night, at least once.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Be aware Volt Advisors are not technicians, but they can and will make a dealer appointment for you. If you expect them to diagnose problems you'll be disappointed.
My local dealer is so incompetent with the Volt I don't expect them to be able to diagnose it either. There are two good dealer service depts a long commute drive away. Since it isn't easily reproducible I'm not quite ready to invest in the hours of driving and lost work time. I'm thinking about maybe putting a voice-activated recorder in the car to capture the nightly 'conversation' for a few nights.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Thank you, I was beginning to fear that mine was the only Volt in America doing this. It would be benign except for the frequency with which it is occurring with my Volt since the first instance a few weeks ago. Pretty much every night, at least once.
I find the secret to fixing it is to pull out a cell phone and attempt to record video as you plug in, to show to the dealer next visit.
It will then not do it again - at least that's my experience! :)

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I have a 2014 Volt that makes the usual 1-chirp or 2-chirps when I plug it in at night or at work. About a month ago, I plugged it in and it chirped 10 times. Just like the 1- or 2-chirps but it just kept on going. Then it charged completely normally and threw no codes or warnings. Now in the past few weeks it will do the 10-chirp thing IN THE NIGHT every now and then. Last night it did this twice. Again, no codes or warnings and it charged normally. I have searched the web but can't find any reference to this behavior. Has anyone else experienced this or have any idea what it is about? Neighbors may not find this too cool if it keeps it up. Thanks!
Mine just started it as well. I think your EVSE is beginning to die or there is a voltage drop or something like that. Are you using the original 120V Voltec EVSE that came with the Volt? Do you have a way to use another EVSE instead? I suspect that is the problem.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Are you using the delayed charging settings, or do you have it set to just charge immediately?
Mine is set to delayed charging, but it has done this even when charging during the active charge window.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Holy cow. It did it last night while NOT PLUGGED IN. Ten chirps in a row. I am dying from interrupted sleep and expecting the neighbors to come by with pitchforks soon.

Power loss alert and theft charge alert are turned off.
I have been charging at reduced 8A power the last few days.
I have been charging immediate rather than delayed charging the last few days.
Last night I tried not plugging it in at all and the darn thing still did it 10-beep thing in the night.

Next step I am recording it. Then I guess I'll go to the distant dealer with great Volt technician.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Holy cow. It did it last night while NOT PLUGGED IN. Ten chirps in a row. I am dying from interrupted sleep and expecting the neighbors to come by with pitchforks soon.

Power loss alert and theft charge alert are turned off.
I have been charging at reduced 8A power the last few days.
I have been charging immediate rather than delayed charging the last few days.
Last night I tried not plugging it in at all and the darn thing still did it 10-beep thing in the night.

Next step I am recording it. Then I guess I'll go to the distant dealer with great Volt technician.
That last step will result in it never happening for you to be able record, and never again.
Speaking from experience :)

(fingers crossed)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts