GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm aware that if you've set delayed charging, you can temporarily for one time trigger immediate charging by plugging in, observe the slow-glow-LED for delayed charging, unplug, then plug back in and observe the 25%-100% fast-blink-LED for immediate charging.

I could've sworn reading on the forums that the same could be accomplished with just a push of the J1772 locking trigger since it disconnect one of the pins (think it was the pilot signalling pin). I tried this but all it did was disrupt the delayed charging (the LED indicator extinguished for as long as I held the button down). When I released the plugin--didn't remove the J1772 plug from the receptacle on my Volt--the LED indicator resumed the slow-glow for delayed charging.

Only when I physically unplugged the J1772 then plug it back in did immediate charging commence. Am I remembering wrong about just pushing the button would trigger immediate charging? Clearly it does something since the slow-glow delayed charging indicator turns off while the button is pressed. Weird it won't go into immediate charge mode.

Would someone mind testing with their Gen 2 Volt to see if immediate charging can be triggered simply by pressing the J1772 trigger lock button once? I even tried 3 times in a row with no success.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Would someone mind testing with their Gen 2 Volt to see if immediate charging can be triggered simply by pressing the J1772 trigger lock button once?
Pressing the J1772 lock button on my Gen2 during delayed charging did even less than yours did....it did nothing! It remained in delayed charging mode, the light continued with it's delayed charging pattern and was unaffected. This is with a level 2 Juicebox. I use location based charging so that anywhere else I go besides home it will automatically switch to immediate charging mode. Hope this helps.

·
4,850 Posts
Pressing the J1772 lock button on my Gen2 during delayed charging did even less than yours did....it did nothing! It remained in delayed charging mode, the light continued with it's delayed charging pattern and was unaffected. This is with a level 2 Juicebox. I use location based charging so that anywhere else I go besides home it will automatically switch to immediate charging mode. Hope this helps.
So with the Gen2 Volt, you can have your location based charging decide whether you charge immediately or delayed, in addition to the default amperage? Nice!

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I also remember reading where someone mentioned pushing the button should work. It makes sense that it should work. I tried it on my Gen 1 and could not make it work. I had the same experience as you. I tried the OEM EVSE and a public EVSE. Maybe there are certain brands of EVSE where it would work.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
That sounds odd. What happens if you press the button while actively charging? I hope it stops the charge in that case. It is supposed to. If not, I would get it fixed. Could be harmful to your charge port, or even dangerous.

·
4,850 Posts
That sounds odd. What happens if you press the button while actively charging? I hope it stops the charge in that case. It is supposed to. If not, I would get it fixed. Could be harmful to your charge port, or even dangerous.
Not all charge connector buttons are created equal. I believe some will remove the connection with the pilot signal indicating what the current available is from the station, whereas others are simply mechanical in nature. So I don't think the behavior would be the same on all J1772 connectors.

In either case, the Volt may need the AC Voltage to be removed (rather than just the pilot signal) before doing an override to charge immediately. Or a variation on this theme.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
IIRC, part of the J1772 standard is that power should stop flowing before the plug is physically removed from the car. This is to prevent electrical arcing at the contacts when they are separated, and also so that there is no chance of having exposed pins with high voltage on them at the plug for safety. Pressing the button is what triggers the disconnect. If the Juicebox is not doing that, I would be concerned. Not panicked, but concerned.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
proximity vs. pilot
There is a switch in the EVSE handle that alters the resistance and subsequent voltage drop measured in the proximity circuit, (charging disabled/stopped while switch open/trigger pressed/squeezed)

However that Volt needs to see the 1000Hz pilot signal transition ON-OFF-ON (double-clutch the plug) to revert to immediate charging mode.
It is not connected to the trigger
WOT

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would be concerned. Not panicked, but concerned.
You got me concerned! Just out of curiosity I plugged in my GM Factory charger and it worked as you stated, the indicator light on the dash extinguished when the button was pushed. I then plugged my Juicebox J1772 back in again, pressed the button and now it suddenly works properly, the light goes out when I push it.

The reason why is....I learned that the J1772 lock button position comes into play for only a few minutes after plugging in (if not actively charging). If you plug in, wait 5 minutes and then press on the lock button again it doesn't have any effect - at least in delayed charging status or fully charged status (no current flow). I am sure that when actively charging this changes and the lock button cuts the power when pressed for safety reasons.

Back to the OP, I think WOT stated it best. The pilot signal is not controlled by the lock button thus immediate charging cannot be activated this way.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Much less effort to use the fob button - or was that removed from the gen2 fob?
(Unless, of course, you do not have the fob on you :))

·
Registered
524 Posts
Gen 1 fob has the electrical plug symbol. That initiates instant charging but only on 2014 and 2015. That button was to open the charge door on early years.
Gen 2 fob has no instant charge button. Set delayed charging to "home" in location based charging, use the center stack display, Onstar app or double pump the J plug.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Huh, interesting variety of scenarios. Shame it's the 1kHz pilot signal that needs to disappear to trigger temporary immediate charge. Thank you for everyone for confirming first-hand and especially WOT for explaining what actually triggers the immediate charging!

Double shame that Gen 2 fob doesn't have the immediate charge button. I didn't realize the OnStar app could trigger an immediate charge. I thought it could only set immediate upon next plugin, leaving the car in delayed charging mode. I'll have to test again tomorrow and see if I can trigger immediate charging from the OnStar app.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
You can also trigger immediate charge from the drivers seat. Energy->Charging->Temporary Override Options->Charge Immediately at Plug In.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
The easiest way for me is to press the charge port door open button. That changes the center stack screen to display the "temporary override options" button. When tapped, the "charge immediately" button then appears in the same spot, so I tap a second time there. It is very quick. This is on Gen 1.

·
Registered
921 Posts
The easiest way for me is to press the charge port door open button. That changes the center stack screen to display the "temporary override options" button. When tapped, the "charge immediately" button then appears in the same spot, so I tap a second time there. It is very quick. This is on Gen 1.
That's the way it works on my '11, but most later years don't do that since they eliminated the locking charge door.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Yes, that is on a 2013. Glad they eliminated the lock. Kind of silly for it to lock, and the mechanism has been unreliable for many owners. It's not like someone is going to siphon off my electricity like you could do with gas. A good design change.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I didn't know the fob could change the charge mode. How does that work?
Gen 1 fob has the electrical plug symbol. That initiates instant charging but only on 2014 and 2015. That button was to open the charge door on early years.
Gen 2 fob has no instant charge button. Set delayed charging to "home" in location based charging, use the center stack display, Onstar app or double pump the J plug.
Guess they did remove it after all.
Sorry for getting hopes up ;)

·
Registered
675 Posts
I usually charge at home with the charging set to finish at 5am using my ClipperCreek LCS-20. I've had difficulty with the override thingy to charge immediately; sometimes I forget to set it to override to charge immediately. Like today, I was trying to use chargepoint. I think chargepoint got confused when I did the "double pump" action, and assumed my charge was complete.

So, this evening I set my home location to my garage.

What else do I have to do so that next time I try charging someplace other than home, it will charge immediately upon plug in? I don't use the 120v Charger, but if I did, what else would I have to do to set it to always use 12amps at home?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Huh, interesting variety of scenarios. Shame it's the 1kHz pilot signal that needs to disappear to trigger temporary immediate charge. Thank you for everyone for confirming first-hand and especially WOT for explaining what actually triggers the immediate charging!
Just another minor misfeature on GM's part I guess. The car seems to know when the button is pressed. It would be very convenient if the charge mode toggled that way, especially since the charge LED and beeps give feedback on which mode it's in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts