GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daughter has 2017 Volt. Abusive husband insists on Family Link to track her movements. If she wants to visit a shelter or a lawyer for an hour to get advise and not be followed, how can she turn off tracking (and turn it back on as she heads back home?)

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I did a double take, can't help
But Welcome to the world we live in.
Bring on self driving.

I think if he's a dbag a more direct approach may be called for,

I'm sure more than one person here could help deflate the problem.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
take a cab or uber.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
That might cause more problems than help. If the abusive husband can't locate the car for an hour, he's going to grill her about it. As Bill said, have a friend, taxi, or Uber take her and have her park at a nail salon for an hour.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Daughter has 2017 Volt. Abusive husband insists on Family Link to track her movements. If she wants to visit a shelter or a lawyer for an hour to get advise and not be followed, how can she turn off tracking (and turn it back on as she heads back home?)
Is that an OnStar feature or something? If it is through OnStar, is there a fuse that could simply be pulled for the day to kill the OnStar?

EDIT: OOPS, it looks like pulling the fuse may not work (OnStar system has battery backup), and may actually cause potential maintenance issues. http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?10736-How-to-disable-and-REMOVE-Onstar-gt-because-it-is-spying-on-you-whether-its-on-or-o&p=3199905#post3199905

In that case, the only hardware option is to disconnect the antenna, which is quite doable, but much more involved tan pulling a fuse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAbTy_jFcbc

https://youtu.be/i0dvLuWna9Q

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
How about a couple friends visit this husband for an hour....

You sound like a trying father, can you give her a ride or anything?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
After some googling it seems as if killing the 4G portion of onstar will do what you're asking.

Anyone know where the 4G antenna is? Or the module? If she kills onstar entirely the pile of **** may get a email or alert that it's having trouble? I'm not sure how they correlate.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
After some googling it seems as if killing the 4G portion of onstar will do what you're asking.

Anyone know where the 4G antenna is? Or the module? If she kills onstar entirely the pile of **** may get a email or alert that it's having trouble? I'm not sure how they correlate.

Above is to disable OnStar for the Gen1, Gen2 VCIM should be similar I suppose...

·
Registered
706 Posts
Is there any work need on the car? Take it in for service and get a loaner?

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Would it be possible for your daughter to go shopping with her mother for a period of time that would allow her to surreptitiously visit with the lawyer and have mom cover for her? Your daughter's car would be parked where it should be and she could drive mom's car to the appointment. If the situation is physical, a court order may be necessary, too. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
How about a couple friends visit this husband for an hour....

You sound like a trying father, can you give her a ride or anything?
x2

Aside from beating the **** out of the pile of **** yourself, some good suggestions above.

Drive her there.
Using a driving service is likely to leave a credit/debit card trail.
Take it in for service and get a loaner (excellent).
Have the lawyer, etc meet in a public location (excellent).

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
That might cause more problems than help. If the abusive husband can't locate the car for an hour, he's going to grill her about it. As Bill said, have a friend, taxi, or Uber take her and have her park at a nail salon for an hour.
Indeed. The only three pieces of advice I'm going to give is:
1) Assume that the abuser is willing to murder their target rather than lose them.
2) Do _not_ disable anything.
3) Contact an organization that deals with abuse instead of asking an Internet forum.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Indeed. The only three pieces of advice I'm going to give is:
1) Assume that the abuser is willing to murder their target rather than lose them.
2) Do _not_ disable anything.
3) Contact an organization that deals with abuse instead of asking an Internet forum.
Agreed. There is no hardware fix for this problem, get her out of reach before it gets worse.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts