GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

A quick question about the diagnostic tool for the Volt, can it accept Tech2 tools for unlocking options etc? Or is it Tech3 only? ;(
Sorry I don't know allot about this.

Thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Tech2 wiil not function with the volt. It is a global2 platform and requires an MDI interface running GDS software

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Tech2 wiil not function with the volt. It is a global2 platform and requires an MDI interface running GDS software
Roger that. OR some compatible aftermarket solution like DashDAQ or Torque-Pro. For programming (changing options etc) it will have to be an SAE J2534 compliant device (as the MDI is as well) and requires a subscription to the GM Service Programming System

WOT

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Photoshop?...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi HC-DC,

Thanks for the info. Annoying to hear that cause we have access to Tech2 tools ;( All I want to do is check options and turns them on if available, is there a cheap way of doing just this on a Volt?

·
Registered
199 Posts
in the interest of full disclosure I own a company that does custom programming for basically ever module in a GM vehicle. I do this for dealers, individuals etc. There isn't anything commercially available that will you allow you to do what we do, we create the custom software and then sell it in most scenarios.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
OK, so how did GTPprix modify the screen display?
FYI I answered the question based on my interpretation that the OP merely wanted to configure options for things such as adding Nav, or audio amps, heated seats or other optional contentetc etc. Something that the factory tools (such as the Tech2 and MDI) commonly are used for in the auto repair industry.
Not to re-write operating systems, and altering/tweaking software/firmware like certain aftermarket products such as EFI-Live and HPTuner cables (with the right supporting software) are capable of. Different goals, although those so-called "hacking" tools will need to be somewhat J2534 compliant in order to flash in any modifications.
WOT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts