GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We bought our Volt back in May and looked into the $7500 Tax Credit. Our tax accountant advised us that since we are both self employed, we would likely not be eligible for the full $7500 because we would not earn enough since we have to pay self-employment tax first. This differs from the Renewable Energy Tax Credit that we got when we installed our solar power system over three years ago. That credit rolls over to subsequent years, and it took us three years to get the full credit taken off our taxes. We were quite surprised when we filed our taxes the first year that we were not eligible to take the full credit that year! The electric vehicle Tax Credit does not roll over.

I am sharing this as a "heads up" so that people who have purchased during 2012 can assess their income and talk with a tax accountant about their potential tax credit amount so they can have a realistic expectation of what their credit may be. I do understand that most Volt buyers are well-heeled enough that they will earn the entire credit, but there are some of us like myself who could only afford the Volt thanks to an inheritance that paid for over half the cost.

I would be curious to hear from some Volt owners who have filed their 2011 taxes already. Did anyone find the they were not eligible for the full $7500 amount due to their income being below a certain threshold?

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
We bought our Volt back in May and looked into the $7500 Tax Credit. Our tax accountant advised us that since we are both self employed, we would likely not be eligible for the full $7500 because we would not earn enough since we have to pay self-employment tax first. This differs from the Renewable Energy Tax Credit that we got when we installed our solar power system over three years ago. That credit rolls over to subsequent years, and it took us three years to get the full credit taken off our taxes. We were quite surprised when we filed our taxes the first year that we were not eligible to take the full credit that year! The electric vehicle Tax Credit does not roll over.

I am sharing this as a "heads up" so that people who have purchased during 2012 can assess their income and talk with a tax accountant about their potential tax credit amount so they can have a realistic expectation of what their credit may be. I do understand that most Volt buyers are well-heeled enough that they will earn the entire credit, but there are some of us like myself who could only afford the Volt thanks to an inheritance that paid for over half the cost.

I would be curious to hear from some Volt owners who have filed their 2011 taxes already. Did anyone find the they were not eligible for the full $7500 amount due to their income being below a certain threshold?
Not me.. I went out and earned an extra 50K to cover the cost of the car + taxes, which of course mean I "owed" another 12K in taxes.. so the 7500 credit was just them letting me keep more of what I earned.

Different direction, but have you talked to your tax account about the volt being a company car rather than a personal vehicle?
If you are self employed and need a car for work, being an S-corporation could have some advantages. I did an S-corp for my first company mostly to tax and insurance reasons. (A S-corp avoids the double-tax issues of a regular corp.. cost me maybe $50 to set-it-up and saved way more in insurance and taxes in the first year).

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Can you generate extra income

May want to ask if cashing in some stocks, CDs, or something that will add income will help increase the allowance. There may be ways.

Personally, I will owe more than enough to get the $7500 in full.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I got the full refund, as I don't currently have mortgage interest or state property tax to deduct. Luckily, I just missed hitting the AMT minimum as well, and IIRC the tax credit goes away if you qualify for AMT.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
The electric vehicle Tax Credit does not roll over.
Congrats on your new car. Correct, the EV credit does not roll over. As mentioned, there may be some ways to get advantage of the credit. For example, you could sell and then buy assets with capital gains, which would give you a new stepped up basis for free. You might also be able to take out some money from retirement accounts, use the credit to pay the tax due, and then roll them money over to a Roth IRA. Since you're starting early in the year you have time to avail yourself of whatever options you may have.

With respect to taxes and the Volt, the cost of running a Volt is so cheap that you're better off writing off mileage at the standard rate, especially given the price of the Volt. That's especially true since you have a solar system.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts

·
Registered
3,915 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
EV credits not directly affected by AMT (but they might affect other credits which are). EVSE credits were but those are now gone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts