GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Volt for a year now and love it. My wife is now looking at getting one for herself;

We've found a 2015 at a dealership out of state for a decent price. The dealer says it still qualifies for the tax credit, but the car has been used as a Loaner/Demo and has 4850 miles on it. They also state that the car will come with the full warranty. It still has the new car sticker in the window.

The sales guy called it a "DRAC" car or "DRAK" ???

I asked if they had any type of certificate to submit to the IRS, but they didn't know what I was talking about. (Might make 2 of us).

Will this car be eligible for the $7500 tax credit??

·
Registered
203 Posts
Shouldnt be a problem both of ours were demos as well. May want to run a carfax and make sure it has never been titled/registered just to be safe.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I asked if they had any type of certificate to submit to the IRS, but they didn't know what I was talking about. (Might make 2 of us).
No certificate has to be filed, just the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). I second the Carfax report, which they should be able to provide.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
If the car hasn't previouisly been titled then it's eligible for the credit. Demos are usually not titled since they are "demos" but they might have been. IOW this would not be an unusual situation.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks StreetUrchin, MisterDave, and DonC!

The only issue with the car is she doesn't like that it is white. We shall see...

·
Registered
48 Posts
The Manufacturers Statement of Origin is the title document from GM and must be surrendered to the state when the car is titled. No MSO, no $7500 rebate. Ask to see the original before you purchase.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
The Manufacturers Statement of Origin is the title document from GM and must be surrendered to the state when the car is titled. No MSO, no $7500 rebate. Ask to see the original before you purchase.
I can make my own MSO/MCO: VEHICLE MCO/ MSO CERTIFICATES OF ORIGIN

It might be better to run a VIN check with Carfax.

Also, an MCO can be paperless. Rules for titling in Michigan show this:

Titling and Registration Procedures
Proof of Ownership

Section 235 of the Michigan Vehicle Code (MCL 257.235) requires every vehicle in a dealer's possession (i.e., for resale purposes) to have a document proving ownership. A vehicle may not be sold or offered for sale in Michigan unless the dealer has a properly assigned title or other ownership document.

The only exception to the document possession requirement is for a new vehicle which has an electronic (paperless) Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO). However, the dealer should have an invoice or other paper document on file.

·
Registered
50 Posts

The only issue with the car is she doesn't like that it is white. We shall see...
Probably preaching to the choir, but: Partly depending on where you live white is a superior color particularly for an EV, and no matter where the car is driven is safer than most other more decorative choices. Safety sells on the domestic scene; the relatively excellent safety rating of the Volt was an override in our home helping us to avoid what initially looked like intractable Tesla fascination, followed by a brief flirtation with Volvo's science experiment (aka XC90 PHV/whatever and the star of this ironically-titled feature: http://insideevs.com/175802-2/ )

·
Registered
13,560 Posts

You can always plastidip the car. I want to dip mine in midnight abyss. The best thing, if you get bored of the color you can dip on top of it or peel it off and start over

https://youtu.be/6ZSEtbWfmjw

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hello In the below instructions for the EV tax credit it says "not for resale". Exemptions are noted, but it is not clear if these can apply to dealers and Demos. has anyone read all this and the associated reference docs? I did not find 50 b ect. Apparentlly the dealers have read this as they sometimes take the credit.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8936.pdf

The following requirements must be met to qualify for the
credit:
You are the owner of the vehicle. If the vehicle is leased, only
the lessor and not the lessee, is entitled to the credit;
You placed the vehicle in service during your tax year;
The vehicle is manufactured primarily for use on public
streets, roads, and highways;
The original use of the vehicle began with you;
You acquired the vehicle for use or to lease to others, and not
for resale; and
You use the vehicle primarily in the United States.
Exception. If you are the seller of a qualified plug-in electric
drive motor vehicle or qualified two-wheeled plug-in electric
vehicle to a tax-exempt organization, governmental unit, or a
foreign person or entity, and the use of that vehicle is described
in section 50(b)(3) or (4), you can claim the credit, but only if you
clearly disclose in writing to the purchaser the amount of the
tentative credit allowable for the vehicle (from line 11 of Form
8936). Treat all vehicles eligible for this exception as business/
investment property. If you elect to claim the credit, you must
reduce cost of goods s

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've pondered that legalese as well, and went with deal since the dealer told me it was still available. I did make sure on the paperwork it stated the car being sold to me was listed as new. So if it does come down to be questioned, I would have that to argue, though would be a headache to deal with potentially.

I've not heard of anyone getting burned by this as of yet. *fingers crossed*

1 - 11 of 11 Posts