GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I filed my taxes using TaxAct. Everything looked good. Full $7500 rebate calculated correctly. Efiled. IRS website shows they adjusted my refund down by about $3500 from what I was expecting. Very annoyed right now. I am not subject to AMT, so I'll just have to wait and see what the letter says. I saw a post from another TaxAct user that even if your not subject to the AMT, you still need to submit a form with the credit showing such, and it seems Taxact does not do that. Since the credit is not subject to AMT, not sure why the form, or lack of it, would mess with my refund amount. I'm confident I'll get the money, but not happy I'm going to have to do extra legwork to get it.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Filed with Turbo Tax, and it too did not file the AMT Form 6251. Only filed yesterday and have not heard anything. For 2012 when I bought my first Volt TT did file the Form. Curious, since the instructions for 2013 still say it must be filed if you claim the vehicle credit.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For TaxAct users, I did some poking around, and if you pull up the IRS form 6251 and go through the prompts, it has an option you can check to force printing and efiling of it even if you are not subject to the AMT. Too bad TaxAct did not tell me to do that before I filed since I was claiming the EV credit!

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
For TaxAct users, I did some poking around, and if you pull up the IRS form 6251 and go through the prompts, it has an option you can check to force printing and efiling of it even if you are not subject to the AMT. Too bad TaxAct did not tell me to do that before I filed since I was claiming the EV credit!
No, it's not "too bad", it's a reason to fire your tax accountant and it hasn't changed from last year.

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
It appears that form 6251 is required if you file form 8936, qualified electric vehicle credit, or form 8911, alternative fuel vehicle refueling property credit. The IRS url is:

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small...e-Minimum-Tax-(AMT)-Assistant-for-Individuals
I'm pretty sure this web page is referring to form 8834 "Qualified Electric Vehicle Credit" not form 8936 "Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit".

I filed with TurboTax and it didn't submit form 6251. In fact, I was pretty frustrated that it didn't at least show me how it would have filled out this form when I was denied "Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit" (form 8911).

·
Banned
7,289 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
It appears that the form is not required if you use a software program to file your taxes:

"If you prepare your own Form 1040 tax return without using software, you may need to complete Form 6251, Alternative Minimum Tax – Individuals to determine whether you owe the AMT. You can use the AMT Assistant before you go through preparing Form 6251 to find out if you actually need to complete it."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts