GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any information on where I might be able to tap the entertainment system to display an external video source?

My Suburban luckily has a composite in jack to solve this problem. If anyone has poked at this or has deep enough technical info on the entertainment system I'd appreciate some pointers. Alternatively if there is knowledge about what other GM cars, if any, have common components in the entertainment system that might help too if say, for instance, someone has figured this out on a Cadillac system.

Even if I can't easily add an input I'd appreciate info on locating any info on the passage of the signal from the DVD player to the display as I might be able to hijack that for my purpose.

Thanks.

·
Registered
977 Posts
With the standard capabilities built into the Volt (assuming you have the navigation radio), you can put the DVD right into the slot on the center stack and it will play, no cord needed. However, you can only play the DVD while in park.

Your Suburban has a screen in the center row of seats, where this is not an issue. The laws in all the states are very clear on no entertainment viewable to the driver. They would not even buy into a polarized screen where entertainment could only be seen by the passenger (did not want the driver's head moving to the right side of the car). It doesn't make as much sense to have a video screen in the rear of the Volt since those seats are not used much, certainly not as much as in a Suburban.

Not sure exactly what your intentions are, but PLEASE, for the sake of all of us other drivers out there if not for yourself, don't try to watch entertainment video while you are driving!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can use the volts DVD player to play DVDs. I need an aux video input. Does anyone know if any of the existing lockpik harnesses work with the Volt?

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I can use the volts DVD player to play DVDs. I need an aux video input.
And, in your original post:

I might be able to hijack that for my purpose.
It may help us to suggest ideas, if we knew what that purpose was...

So far the comments have been along the lines of "Well, if you want to do this..." or "OK, how about if you want to do that...". And none of that has worked for you.

Just what are you trying to accomplish?

·
Registered
22 Posts
it sounds like he want to be able to use the video display to output video from a 3rd party hardware. Like a exteranl video player or mp3 player. The way i am reading it is he want to be able to hook up RCA inputs directly to the center stack video display.
Now saying that i have no ideal of how to do that since i don't have a volt to play around with yet.

SIde note. I know the DVD player only works when in park but if you had a ipod or other mp3 that played video can you watch those vidoes on the center stack or does the aux input only do music?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just what are you trying to accomplish?
To add an Auxillary video input. Composite is OK, a higher quality input would be better.

Potential uses are a personal video player but the first project would be a Media Center PC.

·
Super Moderator
6,365 Posts
SIde note. I know the DVD player only works when in park but if you had a ipod or other mp3 that played video can you watch those vidoes on the center stack or does the aux input only do music?
Remember the DVD Player actually plays audio when you are out of Park. You can listen to a concert DVD or a movie. Certainly there are kids movies that kids have listened to so many times that they can "play the video in their head" while listening. My kid had Toy Story memorized.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
There is very likely a composite video input as the backup camera would likely use that. Not particularly useful unless you want to use it only when in reverse :)

Something in the car is running linux, and I'm guessing its the center stack. That would make the potential to update it easier but don't expect GM to release anything to do that.

·
Registered
915 Posts
There is very likely a composite video input as the backup camera would likely use that. Not particularly useful unless you want to use it only when in reverse :)

Something in the car is running linux, and I'm guessing its the center stack. That would make the potential to update it easier but don't expect GM to release anything to do that.
Pretty sure you can intercept that signal and install a dual switch with override and therefore use that input. There are devices on the market to do exactly that. Another altnernative to play the DVD whilst driving is to find out what tells the system it's in park and 'fake' that. ethical debate aside this is what some folks want to do. As for the NAV not allowing a passenger to input things it's the same issue, whatever is controlling this can be 'faked'; on my jeep it was actually the NAV software that I hacked to allow an input no matter if I was traveling or stopped. My wife was thankful as she could find things whilst I was driving.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
I remember when I had a pioneer dvd/navi deck in one of my cars, it had a similar safety lock on it. It would not play movies when it knew it was in motion. Well, some smart kids came up with a hack and essentially it removed the safety lock. So.... its only a matter of time. The safety lock hack for my pio deck involved a firmware hack as well as some interesting wire jumpering (if I remember correct).

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is very likely a composite video input as the backup camera would likely use that.
Thanks for that reminder. I might poke around a bit in this area because that might be a simple vector to tap. After I actually get my car or course. I'm Still waiting for the train from Michigan...

Ideally I'd be able to figure out the system enough that I could create a universally availble input to use.

·
Registered
49 Posts
..... on my jeep it was actually the NAV software that I hacked to allow an input no matter if I was traveling or stopped. My wife was thankful as she could find things whilst I was driving.
For my Prius, I bought a (pre-lockpik) intercept harness from Coastaltech. In my wife's Camry hybrid, I found a
hack to create nav DVD with the override. I'm waiting for any solution to solve this situation with my new Volt.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts