GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got on the wait list in Michigan for a Volt (I live in Wisconsin, don't know why I didn't do it sooner). Anyway, I'm 6 foot 8, and nothing would be more disappointing to me than getting to Detroit later this year to pick up my Volt, getting in the drivers seat, and realizing I don't fit. I've heard good things in general about the roominess of the Volt cabin, but are there any other tall Volt drivers/enthusiasts out there that have taken delivery/sat in a Volt and can reassure me that tall people can drive this car, too?

·
Registered
392 Posts
6'8" may be cutting it REAL close. I am 6'4" and with the seat reclined to about 110-115 degrees, I have about an inch, inch and a half clearance for my head. I would really try to get a test drive before making a final decision.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
The seats slide back surprisingly far. It might not hurt to head to your local Chevy dealer and sit in a Chevy Cruz to get an idea of how much space there may be as they are similar builds.
The Cruze is not identical to the Volt in this respect (a common misconception). While there are a number of "shared" features seats ARE different and the floor profile and internal dimensions are different as well. I suggest you somehow find an actual Volt to sit in. Perhaps with the auto shows ramping up there might be one in your area? I think the Volt designers did a very good job making the aerodynamic roofline and headliner more "height sensitive" but it may take some persistance in working out the seat adjustments big guy!
WopOnTour

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm 6'3" and a tight fit as I carry much of my height in my torso. You better sit in one. I don't fit in many Japanese cars and a few American ones. Personally when it comes to fit I prefer my old Suburban.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Unfortunately my friend, I think 6'4" is about the limit with this car. You'll have to wait for the SUV version, but hey you can still see over everyone at the golf tournament. Seriously, I let my 6'5" neighbor drive mine and he was very compressed. There is a way to crank the seat down and back but > than 6'4" and you'll not be happy in this electric sardine can.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I wouldn't call it "roomy" for my 6'4" frame, I'm a bit husky, but I could describe it as "comfortably snug". The seats feel like they are wrapping around you.
I had a dream about the snug seats before delivery! Must have been from sitting in the Volt at the LA Auto Show. Sure enough, I now remove my wallet and put it in the shirt pocket for optimum comfort. Love the seats, and at 190 - 5' 11", they are just right. I occasionally hit my skull getting in the driver's seat. Duck when entering/exiting the rear seats.

·
Registered
10 Posts
6'7" and I fit...

I'm a big guy @ 6'7" and 225 Lbs. Well I'm tall at least!

I think one thing worth remembering is that us tall guys are used to getting close to what we want but not exactly. Pants are hard to find in the length we need, shirts look funny on us some times, airline seats suck, and we hit our heads on things some people can't even reach! Don't get me starter taking a ride in the back seat let alone the front seat of most cars these days. Knees against the dash/seat back anyone?

That being said, I think the volt fits me quite nicely for a compact, sub compact, sardine can, or what ever they call cars these days! Yes my head can touch the roof. Yep the drivers seat has to be pushed soooo far back that it actually touches the back seat, and yes for all intensive purposes it basically becomes a 3 seater unless your child has really small legs :)

But what do you expect from a small car.
I'm buying one. And I know it'll be a tight fit but oh well. I'm just glad they gave us longer seat rails as I hate not being able to push the seat all the way back.

Oh and on that note, my lady is 5' when standing on her tippy toes haha so the adjustment knobs on seats are going to get a run for their money ;)

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
One cool thing is that the steering wheel telescopes, so you can move the seat as far back as you want and still get a comfortable distance to the wheel by adjusting it in or out. I think that is a valuable addition, because I am not that tall, (5' 9") but I like the steering wheel away from me more than most people.

Jerry, still waiting for #536

·
Registered
14 Posts
My husband is 6'7" and while he hasn't been able to drive a Volt yet he has sat in the drivers seat. He said the car would be definitely be drivable but not the most comfortable car for driving long distances. He is mostly legs with an inseam of 37" if that helps. If you can manage to make it to NAIAS in Detroit in the next week they have several Volts unlocked on the floor.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In case anyone's interested, I drove a Volt at the Milwaukee auto show this weekend. It was about what I expected, not super roomy, but I could easily see myself driving it, as long as no one needs to sit behind me. :)

I would have been a lot more impressed with how easily I fit into it if they hadn't insisted that I drive another car before I drive the Volt, and chose the Cruze. The Cruze is the first car I've ever drove where putting the seat all the way back was too far. I was really impressed, I'd think a 7-footer could drive a Cruze comfortably. So, definitely don't use the Cruze as a judge of if you're going to fit well in a Volt.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm a big guy, 6'4" and 300 lbs. I test drove a Volt this weekend and felt very comfortable in the front seats. I tried the back seats as well, while there is more leg room than in my prius and the seats themselves were more comfortable; in the back of the Volt there was significantly less headroom. I literally had to sit with my head cocked to the side. Not a big issue for me as I won't be back there, but I wanted to get a feel for it before inviting anyone else on a ride. My two kids loved the back seat and found it much more comfortable than the bench in my prius, and they really liked the built in rear cup holders (which I informed them would not be seeing much action).

·
Registered
20 Posts
You probably have delivery, but for what it's worth there's plenty of legroom for my 6'2" 220 lb frame. My problem - and the least favorite feature of the Volt -are the seats. I miss not having a power seat where I could adjust the seat tilt. I find insufficient thigh support for my long legs, and I was forced to buy a wheelchair 4" foam wedge cushion from a medical supply house. The manual up and down mechanism provide a little tilt up as you go down, but insufficient. I fail to understand why power seats were not an option even though I know it adds weight and electric draw (which could be done before you unplug). It should have been my call. Also, the old Chevy Beretta had a a manual seat tilt lever which could have been used.

·
Registered
418 Posts
6'8" may be cutting it REAL close. I am 6'4" and with the seat reclined to about 110-115 degrees, I have about an inch, inch and a half clearance for my head. I would really try to get a test drive before making a final decision.
I too am 6'4" and am doubtful that you would be very comfortable. Try sitting in a Cruze as was suggested. Go by a Toyota dealership and sit in a Prius. It has an inch or two more clearance that the Volt. If you don't fit in it, you will not like the Volt. And the back seat is completely out of the question for you.

# 565

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As the thread starter, I'd just like to make sure everyone knows that I got my Volt, and I love it. :) Maybe being super tall I'm less picky in general than normal tall people, but I've found the car extremely comfortable, even on long trips. Granted, there's not much margin of error in the seats - another inch or so less legroom and I might not like it as much, but it's worked out fine for me!

3,608 Posts
Great to hear you find it comfortable and liking it mrosack! I consider myself tall as well, and when I first got in one I was thinking there is no way this is going to be comfortable. I was way wrong! We're glad that is has worked out for you!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I too am 6'4" and am doubtful that you would be very comfortable. Try sitting in a Cruze as was suggested. Go by a Toyota dealership and sit in a Prius. It has an inch or two more clearance that the Volt. If you don't fit in it, you will not like the Volt. And the back seat is completely out of the question for you.

# 565
My husband is 6'7" and actually prefers to sit behind me (I am 5'6") when I am driving and have 4 people in the car. Sure he can't get in and out unless I move my seat all the way up but when we are riding around he has more leg room in the back.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.