GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called my dealer to schedule an oil change and have 3 recalls done. I have free oil changes for 2 years and I am going to have the oil changed now and then again just before the 2 years expire. Then I will get the oil changed when the oil life monitor tells me. (probably every 2 years).
Only had one problem since I purchased. I lost power steering while driving but the power steering came back after shutting off the car and waiting 10 to 15 min. and I no trouble since. I will mention this to the service department to find out if there are any codes to help them diagnose the problem.
Overall I am very pleased with the Volt and really enjoy driving it.

Following are the services that will be done. I was told they will need the car a day.

Maintenance Services:
Complimentary LOF 2Yr/40000km

Repair Services:
Recall Electrical - 16185 No Start or Loss of Propulsion - Expires 9/30/19
Recall Electrical - 17197 Malfunction Indicator Lamp
Recall Electrical - 17058 P2097 (Post O2 Trim Diagnostic) False Failing

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Your experience minus the PS glitch mirror's mine. 12 months of trouble free and almost gas free driving.

Good luck and happy motoring.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I called my dealer to schedule an oil change and have 3 recalls done. I have free oil changes for 2 years and I am going to have the oil changed now and then again just before the 2 years expire. Then I will get the oil changed when the oil life monitor tells me. (probably every 2 years).
Only had one problem since I purchased. I lost power steering while driving but the power steering came back after shutting off the car and waiting 10 to 15 min. and I no trouble since. I will mention this to the service department to find out if there are any codes to help them diagnose the problem.
Overall I am very pleased with the Volt and really enjoy driving it.

Following are the services that will be done. I was told they will need the car a day.

Maintenance Services:
Complimentary LOF 2Yr/40000km

Repair Services:
Recall Electrical - 16185 No Start or Loss of Propulsion - Expires 9/30/19
Recall Electrical - 17197 Malfunction Indicator Lamp
Recall Electrical - 17058 P2097 (Post O2 Trim Diagnostic) False Failing
I got a "recall notice" on these, but the dealer said that 17197 required a part to be ordered, and that the repair required 12 hours(!) so a loaner would be issued. In this post, 17197 is more completely discussed.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Although I have no problems with my 2017 Chevy Volt, I dreaded going to have recalls or oil change done. Apparently, they require that the ICE gen set be run after the oil change or some of the recall items are done. This simply resets my VoltStats score for Miles Without Gas to zero, otherwise I would be in number 3 place in the Hall Of Fame a long time ago and would have been number 2 soon. As it is, I'm stuck at number 4 rank in the Hall Of Fame.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got a "recall notice" on these, but the dealer said that 17197 required a part to be ordered, and that the repair required 12 hours(!) so a loaner would be issued. In this post, 17197 is more completely discussed.
In the thread you mentioned, someone had the 17197 done and only took an hour. The purge line was OK and only had a sleeve installed. I guess the time varies depending on the dealership and the repair involved. If the purge line is damaged or needs replacing
the battery pack has to be dropped ,which could take 12 hours.

·
Registered
14,007 Posts
Despite the freeness of the oil changes, I would not waste the dead dino juice and wait to change it when the oil change meter tells you, or just before the free oil changes. My dealership didn't offer free oil changes, so my first change was at 22k miles. What an amazing car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts