GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how LKA detects no steering? Was surprised this came up today - was letting ACC and LKA do it's work on a very straight section of road and up ripped this friendly message.

Is LKA detections simply by lack of movement on steering wheel? Seems like that would be an inaccurate way to detect no steering and could be annoying.. In my case it was a valid detection...

·
Registered
521 Posts
Well, the steering wheel column has a sensor on it that has to be "zeroed" when you do an alignment. Traction control is a system that uses it. So I would say they are tapping that signal. If it is too quiet (ie: there should be minute corrections going on) then that is a BAD sign.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
As far as I can tell, the "LKA" (lane keep assist) in my 2015 does not detect steering. The only input is from the camera looking at lane markings and the only outputs are an audio alert and a message in the DIC. I am pretty sure that your G2 has a more full featured active system called something other than LKA.

KNS

·
Registered
972 Posts
The system senses inputs from the steering sensor opposing the direction of the LKA - LKA is easily overriden, such as if you purposely want to depart from your lane if another vehicle is drifting over toward you. It became obvious on my 2017 with LKA and adaptive cruise control (ACC) when I used the semi-autonomous parallel parking feature. I was concerned the front end was coming too close to a telephone pole right at the curb that the sensors might not detect, so I grabbed the steering wheel instead of applying the brake. The system immediately told me "driver interference" and cancelled the self parking, with a chime warning.

When you are using LKA and ACC with your hands off the wheel, I hope you are not watching Harry Potter. Personally, I think LKA does a poor job as an autonomous driver - there was overshoot and oscillation from one side of the lane to the other, not very reassuring. But again, that's not what LKA is designed for (read the owner's manual). It will nudge you over in a moment of inattentiveness (shame on me if/when that happens).

·
Registered
34 Posts
As far as I can tell, the "LKA" (lane keep assist) in my 2015 does not detect steering. The only input is from the camera looking at lane markings and the only outputs are an audio alert and a message in the DIC. I am pretty sure that your G2 has a more full featured active system called something other than LKA.

KNS
I believe the 1st gen was called Lane Departure Warning which isn't LKA. There is no active correction with LDW. I have had LDW on my '13 and LKA with my '16. LKA is very nice and much more useful for me than LDW.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I believe the 1st gen was called Lane Departure Warning which isn't LKA. There is no active correction with LDW. I have had LDW on my '13 and LKA with my '16. LKA is very nice and much more useful for me than LDW.
Thanks for the clarification.

KNS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts