Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take aim at those who oppose shifting America off of oil:

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
That's why I own a Volt

Both me and my wife managed to fulfill a career in the Armed forces serving our interests at home and abroad. When I saw the Pentagon on fire while in DC for that fateful week, knowing I had friends in there, game over. Learning 19 of 20 of the nutjobs who attacked us were Saudi and tied to oil money in Saudi I had enough. I fired the only shot the government would allow us to fire back at the real enemy - FOREIGN OIL DEPENDENCY. Now I powere my car nearly entirely on American energy, creating jobs here at home, with a product that puts our national secutiry firs.

·
Registered
652 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
into the green beer a little early are we
No, but I am Irish. Not to be menacing, but the iconic Khe Sanh photograph is simply a favorite from the era, and I did post in in Off Topic.

Somewhat more on topic, I did notice the following:

http://energypolicyinfo.com/2013/03/safe-and-roubini-global-economics-release-%E2%80%98decision-point%E2%80%99/

SAFE and Roubini Global Economics Release ‘Decision Point’

This afternoon at an event hosted by the Manhattan Institute at the Harvard Club in New York, Securing America’s Future Energy released its latest research, Decision Point: A Well-Supplied Global Oil Market Will Make 2013 the Year to Deal with Iran, written in conjunction with Roubini Global Economics. The paper outlines why the coming months present a narrow and critical window in which a loose global oil market is well positioned to absorb the loss of Iran’s remaining 1-1.5mbd of oil exports.

Until 2012, the U.S. and Western nations avoiding imposing strong economic sanctions targeting Iran’s oil exports – allowing Iran’s nuclear pursuits to march forward – largely because they feared the economic impact of taking Iran’s oil off the market. Now, relatively low global demand and rising non-OPEC oil production has created a real opportunity to implement more aggressive measures without causing an oil price spike.

Today’s event at the Harvard Club focused on how, over the past decade, the combination of Western oil dependence combined with the importance of Iran’s role within the global oil market have prevented the United States and its allies from successfully implementing the best possible foreign policies in response to Iran’s nuclear program. Noted economist Nouriel Roubini remarked that 2013 could be the year to “make it or break it” on Iran policy—and that a nuclear Iran could lead to permanent increases in global oil prices. John Hannah, former National Security Advisor to Dick Cheney, commented, “For years, America’s dependence on oil has dangerously constrained our ability to use economic pressure to stop Iran’s nuclear weapons program. Decision Point suggests that a final window of opportunity may now exist to see whether Western sanctions can beat Iranian nuclear physics.”

In Decision Point, SAFE and Roubini present the case for why now is the time for action. Additionally, the two groups urge policymakers to maximize this opportunity, and outline a number of guidelines for implementation. Recommendations emphasize the importance of international transparency, clear political communication, consistency, and utilization of existing policy mechanisms such as strategic stockpiles.

http://secureenergy.org/sites/default/files/SAFE_Decision_Point_Iran_Issue_Brief_March_2013.pdf

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Both me and my wife managed to fulfill a career in the Armed forces serving our interests at home and abroad. When I saw the Pentagon on fire while in DC for that fateful week, knowing I had friends in there, game over. Learning 19 of 20 of the nutjobs who attacked us were Saudi and tied to oil money in Saudi I had enough. I fired the only shot the government would allow us to fire back at the real enemy - FOREIGN OIL DEPENDENCY. Now I powere my car nearly entirely on American energy, creating jobs here at home, with a product that puts our national secutiry firs.
I understand that as service people, you have to be cautious on how you "protest" and certainly attacking Foreign Oil Dependancy is a good channel to follow.

Thank you to you and your wife for your service and contributing to the safety and freedom of others and enjoy your domestic Volt! I know I do too.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I also was in the service, (Vietnam 1970) and recognized the picture immediately. Since many of my friends, family, and neighbors actually oppose moving toward electric vehicles, I found the picture jolting and over the top. Just my opinion -- we all have them.

1,214 Posts
Round Em Up With A Twitter Hash Tag- #

The Electric Vehicle/Green Energy Vs Big Oil/Political Wars continue by the minute on World Wide Twitter. Twitter.com

While a magnificent instant form of communication across the glove it is also a haven for the antiEV crowds from all angles. For those not familiar with Twitter, you can state anything on your mind, promote your cause or sell your product, unsensored, for free.

Web links, videos, pictures, you name it- Like minded others will follow and you can cross promote them.

The antiEv crowd is still posting heavy and hard. Many links from forgotten uninformed published news stories surface daily.

There is a form of Twitter post called a hash tag. The tag # atttched to a term will create its own page with unlimited feeds.
Here is what I have done.

After an atta boy by the OP of this thread. James. I created a hash tag to begin to group and single out the most EV hostile posters.

Using these hash tags, #antiEVZombie , #antiEVZombies a Twitter Feed has been establisbed to highlight our friends on the other side.

Best-

Thomas J. Thias

@AmazingChevVolt

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found the picture jolting and over the top
In retrospect, the use of the photo in this context was ill advised. I apologize.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
No need to apologize James but, tell us the truth, was there green beer involved? LOL

FWIW, yesterday I read an article about how mankind's road of technological and social advances were paved by beer!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
These discussions need to happen and I'm glad to have found this forum of many like-minded people.

I admire your passion James, and thank you for sparking conversation. So what if the photo was over the top- many of us who see the bigger picture understand the dire threat oil dependency has on our country. These discussions help us exchange points of view and talking points so that we are more focused and articulate in those conversations with our neighbors, colleagues and family members.

I find posts like @jbfalaska's above inspiring. I will keep jbf and his wife's service in mind the next time I'm having a conversation with someone about energy, EV's, etc., and use it as motivation to influence with fact instead of argue with emotion.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. I don't want anyone to get the idea that I am encouraging political violence (which I am opposed to).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts