GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Here are some videos i made on my lighting system mod... check them out

Also see related threads:
Brittt1 Original: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...Modification-Finished-Photos-and-Step-by-Step
artsci Part 1 Rear reflector LED mod: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?13685-LED-rear-reflector-mod-Part-1-parts-and-tools-needed
artsci Part 2 Rear reflector LED mod: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...erstanding-the-concept-and-other-parts-needed
artsci Part 3 Rear reflector LED mod : http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...for-taking-lens-apart-and-prep-for-reassembly

Attachments

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Impressive look at night. Could you redo your narrative in bright daylight?
Your car looks very '14 from the front and the tail lights look terrific, too.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
watch from video 2 forward... i turned on the light on my phone... then you can actually see what i'm pointing at etc.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Thanks for the videos. Looks like a lot of work!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey mikeyvolt u answered my question the other day about instaling switchback turn signals. I have been thinking about the rear lights... you did exactly what I want to do. How exactly did yiu do it. I thought of taking the easy way out ... they sell precut black out film for rear lights including the red reflectors.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i described the process in the youtube videos... link is in first post.... i show the switchbacks as well... basically, theres another thread on here about installing lights in the rear reflectors (ones on trunk lid) i simply applied the same principles to the whole taillight. the bumper reflectors are the simplest to mod. it would be easier if you have a specific question but i'll break it down...

bumper reflector:
1 - buy a set of new reflectors (around $20 each)
2 - cut out reflector with dremmel but leave a small border
3 - drill tiny hole in corner
4 - spray white
5 - pass wire through hole and stick on white led strip down center
6 - create template and cut out new cover (used semi-translucent florescent light cover from home depot)
7 - use silicone to adhere new cover
8 - repeat to second reflector
9 - remove bumper
10 - splice into existing reverse light wiring and tie in new leds
11 - attach bumper
12 - done :)

reflector and taillight mod
1 - order new set of all parts (about $225 per taillight and $70 per reflector)
2 - buy side emitting red led spool (get 2 spools) and buy top emitting red led spool (get 1 spool)
3 - bake reflectors and taillights to pry off clear cover (be careful as i cracked one - in video - the corners have tons of glue)
4 - *if you do crack one* drill half way through plastic and fill with clear epoxy - repeat on other side
5 - create templates
6 - remove red reflectors (one solid piece in trunk reflector and 3 pieces in taillight
*if you want to reuse the red - be careful when removing and save parts*
*if not reusing red reflector - make templates and cut the florescent cover to match
7 - REFLECTOR PART - attach white reflective tape on backing
8 - attach all side emitting leds along edges of the reflector and center blacked out design
attach all the leds in series
9 - attach center leds in series
10 - combine the ground wires
11 - pass the positive cable for side emitting leds, center leds, and combined ground cable through tiny hole already there
12 - silicone it back up
12- TAILIGHTS
13 - remove stock led fixture (looks like a blade held in by two screws)
14 - remove internal mirror like reflector
15 - remove circuit board located at the back where in the connector is
16 - fill in mirror reflector with foam
17 - shave foam down to correct shape
18 - drill tiny hole through the foam
19 - spray white (helps tape bond)
20 - attach reflective white tape
21 - attach side emitting leds
22 - attach center leds
*all in series again)
23 - place cover on and use heat gun to shape the bend
24 - pass wiring through the mirror reflector and out the back of the taillight (leave plenty of cable out)
25 - silicone cable opening and attach mirror reflector with screws from the back
26 - put on cover
27 - silicone the stock lens back on
28 - remove internal car covers on trunk lid and remove bumper
29 - remove stock reflectors and taillights
30 - tap into original wiring to attach your new wiring
31 - attach resisitor if you dont want hyper flash (i didn't cause i like the faster flashing)
31 - create a "y" conection from taillight
32- run cable from that "y" connection all the way up to the rubber gromet that leads to trunk lid
33 - pass wire through gromet and then down trunk lid to the reflector
34 - attach wiring to reflectors
35 - put covers and bumper back on
36 - done

i might have left out tiny details but ask me specific questions i'll i'll try to help and make a new video with greater detail

thanks
9 - combine the ground leads

·
Registered
498 Posts
Thank you for your fantastic video,,,Do you see a solution for AMBER turn signals?,,,I would like to take my volt to Europe and the Ampera system does not work in the Volt,,,Perhaps using the lower deflectors as amber turning signal ???...Thank you for your opinion

·
Registered
48 Posts
Rear reflector LED mod

Hi guys,

I have been doing a lot of reading on the rear liftgate reflector mod but those threads are now pretty old and am curious if there have been any advances in this at all.

Basically wondering if the wiring aspect has been cleared up a bit. From what I have read, it looks like getting these hooked up to mirror the outside brake/running lights involves creating circuits rather than simply splicing the reflectors into the outside brakelight's power wire, why is this?

any ideas?
-chase

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Which mod was that, got a link?

·
Registered
48 Posts
OP, I would think replying to the original thread would have been best. Maybe a mod can merge it.
Yep, that's the mod I'm working on.

The problem is there isn't much complete info about wiring. It seems like there are a lot of different ways people have figured out how to wire this but I'm not sure which is the most noob friendly. Have any of you guys done this mod?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I'd like to do it, but it's more involved than I'd like at this time.

·
Administrator
20,655 Posts
See related threads:

·
Registered
48 Posts
See related threads:

The problem with these is that while they explain the process of installing the LEDs into the lights well, they really gloss over the part where you wire the modded reflectors into the car's electrical system right?

·
Administrator
20,655 Posts
The problem with these is that while they explain the process of installing the LEDs into the lights well, they really gloss over the part where you wire the modded reflectors into the car's electrical system right?
You may want to read the threads completely, start to finish. There seems to be plenty of details, wiring diagrams, and pics, particularly in the first link I posted.

·
Administrator
20,655 Posts
Alright, I'll give them another look. Did you attempt this Steverino?
No, this is not a mod I have done.

As nice as it would be to have full lights across the hatch, it' not worth it to me to drill holes in the hatch rain gutter, nor the time involved tearing apart the interior, running the wires, or reworking the lenses. Plus I am leery of tapping into the existing wiring and potentially causing electrical issues years down the road. Kudos to those who have spent the time and money on doing what GM should have done, but it's more work than I want to invest. The wireless switch one modder used sounds clever.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts