GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well darn. My 2013 has always been prone to having some "fog" in the tail lights after a heavy rain or if I run it through a car-wash.
I've read other threads and am aware that this is pretty typical, and in the past it has usually gone away after a little time with the lights on, or about 20-30 minutes of direct sunshine.

This morning I noted that my driver side tail light was REALLY wet inside (car parked in garage). Drove to work (in a fairly heavy rain) and now the bottom third of that light appears to actually be full of water.

I've never had the tail lights off/apart, does anyone know of a simple way to drain the light or am I just looking at a dealer visit?

thanks
Dutch.

EDIT: Photo of what it looks like after the water drained out, and a full day of sitting in the parking lot...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well darn. My 2013 has always been prone to having some "fog" in the tail lights after a heavy rain or if I run it through a car-wash.
I've read other threads and am aware that this is pretty typical, and in the past it has usually gone away after a little time with the lights on, or about 20-30 minutes of direct sunshine.

This morning I noted that my driver side tail light was REALLY wet inside (car parked in garage). Drove to work (in a fairly heavy rain) and now the bottom third of that light appears to actually be full of water.

I've never had the tail lights off/apart, does anyone know of a simple way to drain the light or am I just looking at a dealer visit?

thanks
Dutch.

I 'm familiar with your Volt and how the lens is attached to the body of the car, but if you can drill a small hole in the bottom of the lens that would help...Good Luck

·
Registered
2,336 Posts

LED Reflector Modification Finished - Photos and Step by Step

Forum member above 'baked' his rear tail reflectors open in order to install LEDs since these seem to be sealed if this is what you are referring too as your tail light and not actually the LED brake lamp assy!?:confused:

OP in that thread also indicated he bought replacement reflectors at less than $50 a piece...

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately I'm talking about the actual LED tail light assembly.
I do still have Bumper to Bumper so I guess I'll have to make an appointment.

I'm at work or I'd post photos.

·
Administrator
20,022 Posts
The taillights are supposed to have a drain. Maybe yours is clogged and you can clear it.
Yes, the reason they can fog is they have a drain. Not sure how they would get clogged on the inside. So more likely it's debris (leaves, whatever) under the drain area.

Removing the tail light assembly is a bit of work.

1. Remove either the LH or RH rear bumper fascia inner guide.
2. Remove the quarter panel tail lamp upper molding.
3. Reposition the sound deadening material in order to access the tail lamp nuts.
4. Remove 2 tail lamp nuts (Tightened @4.7 N·m (42 lb in))
5. Remove Tail Lamp Electrical Connector
6. Remove Tail Lamp Assembly. Grasp the tail lamp and give a quick pull rearward in order to disengage the outer tail lamp locator pin from the tail lamp pocket.
Tip
The tail lamp is serviced as a unit, the tail lamp is (LED) Light Emitting Diode.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yes, the reason they can fog is they have a drain. Not sure how they would get clogged on the inside. So more likely it's debris (leaves, whatever) under the drain area.
Thanks Steverino!

The -volume- of water in there tells me that something on the top edge is just letting stuff in, it's WAY more water than vent-hole condensation could account for. I went back out at lunch and looked, it had drained out so there isn't standing water anymore but the inside of the lens is still full of beaded water from end to end.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Thanks Steverino!

The -volume- of water in there tells me that something on the top edge is just letting stuff in, it's WAY more water than vent-hole condensation could account for. I went back out at lunch and looked, it had drained out so there isn't standing water anymore but the inside of the lens is still full of beaded water from end to end.

Well at least your lenses don't melt "literally" !! Here in the AZ sun I've had one replacement lamp and two of the adjacent reflectors on the hatch replaced due to deformation from melting in the direct sunlight.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have the same issue on my 2014 on the same side as yours only. I park outside. I'll be taking it in for repair before the 3 year warrantee is up. It looks like there was a defective batch.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have 2013 and mine has the exact same problem on the same side. It looks identical. It rained one day and the next day i noticed it literally had water moving around inside. it still works, although i'm not sure how long that will last.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I also have a 2013 that has the problem on the passenger side rear tail light. Discovered it was a pain to remove it so I guess it will always look like that.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE

Update,
Three days of clear weather and the tail-light still looks exactly like the photos above.

Time to contact the dealer.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE

Contacted my Volt Advisor.... they contacted the dealership who contacted me and asked for a few more photos which I emailed to them.

They're just going to order the assembly and call me when it comes in so it can be swapped out under warranty.

Yea!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE

The Chevy dealership called me at the end of the day yesterday to tell me the assembly was in and to schedule the replacement. Since I still have my Jeep I just dropped the Volt off last night and they will call me when it is done today.

I'm actually pretty astonished and very happy at how fast the dealership is moving to take care of this.

Commuting in the Jeep felt really REALLY weird today :p

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Final Update (hopefully)

The dealership called me just after noon to let me know that they had installed the tail-light, vacuumed my interior and washed the exterior and the car was ready.

I was slightly worried that after three years of weathering the original passengers side module and the new driver side might not match appearance but the new module is identical in appearance, brightness, and function to the passengers side.

Much appreciation to my dealership for the speed and care they took with my vehicle and to Chevrolet for acknowledging that there really was an issue that needed to be cared for.

Oh and the funny part. On the way from work to the dealership the muffler on the Jeep failed so I pulled in sounding like I was driving a main battle tank!

·
Administrator
20,022 Posts
Did they identify the cause, Dutch?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did they identify the cause, Dutch?
As I understand it from the repair tech, the seam had come unglued at the top inner edge, right below where the "rain gutter" for the hatch dumps all of it's runoff. It was a tiny gap, you could hardly get a fingernail in there, but it was about an inch long so basically anything coming down that rain gutter was just pouring right into the tail-light and the tiny vent hole(s) weren't enough drain to keep up.

The tech said the rumor is that there was a bad batch of adhesive but he hadn't had any confirmation of that.

(I'll append a photo when I get home tonight)

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Actual Final Update

So we've had some rain, and some RAIN, and the Volt has been to the car wash a couple of times.
No issues, the tail light remains clear so I consider the issue resolved.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
So now I have two tail lights with this problem. One on each of my 2013s. One right side one left side. One under warranty and one not. The cost to fix the one not under warranty will be $500. The part alone for the passenger side tail light is $313.

Does anyone know where the part could be purchased cheaper than $313?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts