GM Volt Forum banner

Synchopated Turn Signal

3029 Views 8 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Ampster
Has anyone else encountered this? The sound that accompanies my turn signal does not always follow a steady rhythm. While the light flashes regularly, the tick-tock often sounds more like:

tick-tock, tick-tock,tick.....tock-tick-tock,....tick-tock, tick-tock

The rhythm is really quite disturbed, with intervals doubling or halving. At first I was concerned that the lights were flashing with the same irregular rhythm, but watching them I see that is not the case.

I understand that the ticks are just generated sounds rather than being the actual relay like in older cars, so it's probably not an issue, but it's weird.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,580 Posts
Yup, it is weird. Maybe if you turn up some Miles Davis instead of pop it will be better :)

My 1982 Honda Civic had exactly two transistors on board, one for the turn signal relay, and the other for the single speed intermittent windshield wipers. In the Volt the turn signals are an app fighting for CPU time with a hundred others.

· Registered
215 Posts
I love Miles Davis but never really paid attention to whether my turn sgnal was ticking or tocking. Usually what I hear is my wife telling me I left it on.LOL

5,595 Posts
The 2011 and 2012's did this on occasion. I don't believe this issue occurs on 2013's and later. At least, I heard it on my 2011 on occasion but never have on my 2013.

Also as an aside, the Volt will eventually tell you if you've left your directional on, with a message in the DIC, based on some combination of distance traveled and time elapsed, I imagine.

· Registered
215 Posts

Also as an aside, the Volt will eventually tell you if you've left your directional on, with a message in the DIC, based on some combination of distance traveled and time elapsed, I imagine.
Yes, I discovered that one time when I was driving alone. My wife is faster than that and not as pleasant as the message on the DIC. LOL

3,598 Posts
Has anyone else encountered this? The sound that accompanies my turn signal does not always follow a steady rhythm. While the light flashes regularly, the tick-tock often sounds more like:

tick-tock, tick-tock,tick.....tock-tick-tock,....tick-tock, tick-tock

The rhythm is really quite disturbed, with intervals doubling or halving. At first I was concerned that the lights were flashing with the same irregular rhythm, but watching them I see that is not the case.

I understand that the ticks are just generated sounds rather than being the actual relay like in older cars, so it's probably not an issue, but it's weird.
Afternoon Daryllafferty,

The sound to the turn signal is generated by the radio. What you experienced is normal operation for the 2011 and 2012 Volts. The bulb flash is normal although it does not follow the sound you hear. There was a radio supplier change for 2013's, but unfortunately it is not backward-compatible with 2011 and 2012 Volts.

-Ian Chevrolet EV Customer Service

· Registered
215 Posts
Afternoon Daryllafferty,

The sound to the turn signal is generated by the radio. What you experienced is normal operation for the 2011 and 2012 Volts. The bulb flash is normal although it does not follow the sound you hear. There was a radio supplier change for 2013's, but unfortunately it is not backward-compatible with 2011 and 2012 Volts.

-Ian Chevrolet EV Customer Service
Easy enough to change out a radio. Don't want to do that with my wife. Although, if I could reprogram her like some new electronics that would be good. LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.