GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...

I have had switchbacks in my 2014 Volt for almost 2 years, I like them, and they have worked flawlessly until:

One day I got "hyperflash" on both turn signals. The left front and right rear lights would not illuminate in any position, including brake (for the rear). I changed the left front LED to a known good unit, and nothing happened. Left front and right rear lights still non-functional. Needless to say, my wife was less than happy about this turn (Ha!) of events.

I checked for possible wiring faults but found nothing; connectors were good, resistors were good, etc.
I finally decided it must be a BCM fault, and gave up and took it to the dealer.

The electrical guy at the dealer said, of course, that it was because the front turn signals were not the stock OEM bulbs. I gave him a printed description of everything I had checked, and that it seemed to be BCM-related. They said they couldn't even start to troubleshoot it until they returned the front turn signals to factory spec. (Sigh). I said OK.

Long story, short: after 3 days and $700, they fixed the problem. They did not share with me what the problem was, only that they replaced the turn signals, and I owed them $700. (Sigh). I plan to go back to switchbacks at some point, but I would like to know what actually caused the failure, since I would rather not spend another $700.

So, the question: has anyone had a similar experience with switchbacks and lamp faults like this? It was very weird.

Thanks, and
Best Regards,
Don

·
Administrator
20,150 Posts
My only comment is to remove any after-market electrical mods from the car before taking it in for an electrical issue. Otherwise the standard response you will get from all dealers will be the same: we wont touch the car.

Also, what's on the $700 work ticket? Was the $700 just for two turn signals?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
So...

I have had switchbacks in my 2014 Volt for almost 2 years, I like them, and they have worked flawlessly until:

One day I got "hyperflash" on both turn signals. The left front and right rear lights would not illuminate in any position, including brake (for the rear). I changed the left front LED to a known good unit, and nothing happened. Left front and right rear lights still non-functional. Needless to say, my wife was less than happy about this turn (Ha!) of events.

I checked for possible wiring faults but found nothing; connectors were good, resistors were good, etc.
I finally decided it must be a BCM fault, and gave up and took it to the dealer.

The electrical guy at the dealer said, of course, that it was because the front turn signals were not the stock OEM bulbs. I gave him a printed description of everything I had checked, and that it seemed to be BCM-related. They said they couldn't even start to troubleshoot it until they returned the front turn signals to factory spec. (Sigh). I said OK.

Long story, short: after 3 days and $700, they fixed the problem. They did not share with me what the problem was, only that they replaced the turn signals, and I owed them $700. (Sigh). I plan to go back to switchbacks at some point, but I would like to know what actually caused the failure, since I would rather not spend another $700.

So, the question: has anyone had a similar experience with switchbacks and lamp faults like this? It was very weird.

Thanks, and
Best Regards,
Don
Yea, that’s what happens when you take a car in that isnt stock. Post a picture of the work ticket?

·
Registered
283 Posts
When Dodge went to high side drivers instead of relays in their 2005 trucks we had fits from people with trailers and lots of lights and/or shorts. Every overcurrent episode was logged by the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) and after 255 faults it would turn off the driver permanently. Only fix was a new $700 TIPM.

I started wiring in relays to take care of the problem, TIPM works the relay, relay works the lights on a separate fused circuit and all was good. About a year later they came out with a TSB which, surprise! Consisted of wiring in a relay.

So I'm not surprised if the BCM will turn off the driver after so many faults. I've seen it before on other makes.

You have to measure a stock bulb's resistance and add resistors to get the switchbacks in close proximity to the same load the BCM is expecting. They don't have to be big resistors, 1/8-1/4 watt are fine, as you are just placating the diagnostic part of the circuit

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Don, I'm wondering this: Did the hazard lights work correctly before you took it in?

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
^when the turn signal switch is "off", the switchback light glows white. When the turn signal switch is "on", the white turns off and the bulb does a normal flash between amber/off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How do they go back to white? Is the wiring there already? Looking at mine it just has an orange globe inside. Unless the Aus vehicles are different...

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
How do they go back to white? Is the wiring there already? Looking at mine it just has an orange globe inside. Unless the Aus vehicles are different...
Volts in N. America use a dual filament amber bulb. One filament is for the marker lights, the second is for the turn signal. The switchbacks simply use a bank of white LED's for the marker lamp, and a second bank of amber LED's for the turn signal. Or they use dual-color LED's. Only one color is displayed at a time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts