1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I especially like the fact that it was a big SUV. Too bad this kind of thing is so worthy of documenting, i.e. rare and unusual. I see ice-ing almost daily.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Word gets around about stuff like this. So, now that the place is known for towing, people will know that they can't get away with it and they won't park there.

Gotcha.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Curious question. The utility company in my small town recently put in charging station at some stores including the great Wally World. Now they are in the front row but on the far side so not taking up any handicap type spots. That being said I think I see 8 or spots for charging but I think at most I have seen 3 cars (2 other Volts) using them so I guess that made some people think they can just park there, though its clearly painted for EV only. What should I do if I see it. I guess I dont see Wal Mart doing much about it if I were to report it but I would like some justice. On the plus side I have had plenty of people ask what the stations are when I am plugging in so have been doing some quick education lessons on our cars

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
One mistake these parking sites have is that they are too close to the main entrances, so many ICE drivers want to park closer and use these spaces. I prefer to walk a bit more while getting free charging. There are some "hybrid" parking spaces here in Puerto Rico that are next to the entrances, but I have never seen any hybrids in them, and the site never enforce that limited space anyway.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
One mistake these parking sites have is that they are too close to the main entrances, so many ICE drivers want to park closer and use these spaces. I prefer to walk a bit more while getting free charging. There are some "hybrid" parking spaces here in Puerto Rico that are next to the entrances, but I have never seen any hybrids in them, and the site never enforce that limited space anyway.
A trip I often make is right next to huge gym (fitness center). People will spend several minutes waiting for somebody to pull out of a closer spot rather than walk another 300 feet. So they are wasting their time, getting less exercise that day, and typically burning gas in the process.

Unbelievable. :D

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Awesome, but I wish EV charging stations weren't so conspicuous. It's bad enough the fossil fuel crowd thinks EV' already get too much tax payer dollars but now they get front row parking.

I can see how that could get their back up and think they are protesting or taking a stand. There has to be a happy medium here.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Curious question. The utility company in my small town recently put in charging station at some stores including the great Wally World. Now they are in the front row but on the far side so not taking up any handicap type spots. That being said I think I see 8 or spots for charging but I think at most I have seen 3 cars (2 other Volts) using them so I guess that made some people think they can just park there, though its clearly painted for EV only. What should I do if I see it. I guess I dont see Wal Mart doing much about it if I were to report it but I would like some justice. On the plus side I have had plenty of people ask what the stations are when I am plugging in so have been doing some quick education lessons on our cars
My guess is that the store manager will not give a flip about ice-ing. The last thing he will want to do is anger a paying customer (the ICE driver). In fact, making it the manager's problem might backfire and motivate the store to just remove the signage so they don't have to deal with it on an ongoing basis. I think I would contact the electric utility company and ask them their opinion on it. They may not want to deal with it either. At that point, you would be left with the police. But without a specific EV parking law to enforce, may not be able to do anything either (may refer you back to the store or property manager).

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
At work I asked that the EV charging location be located such that

1. The location cost the corporation no money (already had plugs there)
2. That the location was the least desirable spot possible,

due to the way the existing electric plugs are located I met both of my requirements above.

The sad part is even though the spots are in places no one would ever want to park, there still is that one guy once and a while that will ice the spot.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Awesome, but I wish EV charging stations weren't so conspicuous. It's bad enough the fossil fuel crowd thinks EV' already get too much tax payer dollars but now they get front row parking.

I can see how that could get their back up and think they are protesting or taking a stand. There has to be a happy medium here.
Yes, EV parking should be in the back. I think they run it in the front to save costs when there is not 3ph of power to the parking lot and they have to cut up the pavement.

ICE'g EV stalls is to be expected. Look how many people use handicap parking who are physically fit young adults. It's hard to even find somebody with serious mobility issues parked in a handicap spot today. It's another government mandate that backfired.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My company installed two 120V outlets around the back of the building with simple "Reserved" signs. No one complains and no one accidentally parks there.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My company installed two 120V outlets around the back of the building with simple "Reserved" signs. No one complains and no one accidentally parks there.
My company recently expanded our IT department into a new building... we asked for simple 120v charging and didn't get it. In fact, they went out of their way to remove all exterior 120v plugs. You can clearly see where they they used to be located.

·
Registered
364 Posts
That may be due to the fact that to move the spaces away from the structure "may in many cases" require a lot of additional expense to get high voltage service to the far reaches of parking lots etc. That said perhaps off to the side of the building etc. away from any entrance could be a solution. But digging up parking lots to run high voltage to more remote parking slots could be cost prohibitive to the property owner / installer etc.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
It's bad enough the fossil fuel crowd thinks EV' already get too much tax payer dollars but now they get front row parking.
It doesn't help when certain people gloat when some ignorant woman has her car towed. It's no better than a coal roller dumping black smoke in your face and thinking he's funny.

At work I asked that the EV charging location be located such that

1. The location cost the corporation no money (already had plugs there)
2. That the location was the least desirable spot possible,
^^ This is thinking ahead and the better attitude.

·
Registered
867 Posts
There is a lot of consider about these non-ICE spots. Who actually owns the spot. Just because the spot is in front of a store does not mean store owns the spot or even a say so. Maybe the store leases from a landlord who sold the spots to a charging company. In a strip mall close to my work there are charging stations for Tesla. Maybe Tesla paid for those spots and therefore has a right to tow anyone they see fit.

The driver should be obeying the signs regardless of who owns the spot or wether s/he agrees.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
A trip I often make is right next to huge gym (fitness center). People will spend several minutes waiting for somebody to pull out of a closer spot rather than walk another 300 feet. So they are wasting their time, getting less exercise that day, and typically burning gas in the process.

Unbelievable. :D

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
It doesn't help when certain people gloat when some ignorant woman has her car towed. It's no better than a coal roller dumping black smoke in your face and thinking he's funny.
Unless she had a permit and mistakenly thought it was a handicap spot (saw that happen in my town) I don't think ignorance is the reason. I think she's more likely being self-absorbed and inconsiderate. If she didn't know what the postings meant, it seems she didn't care enough to figure it out. I find it hard to summon up much sympathy for someone when "I don't give a ..." it catches up with them.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I find it hard to summon up much sympathy for someone when "I don't give a ..." it catches up with them.
I don't either, but I don't think it's right to revel in her misfortune even when it's her own mistake no matter what the reason. I look at things like this and think what a shame it is that it happened, not how wonderful it is.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts