GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Back-up camera is waaaaaaaay better than my '11 Volt's was. Better than the wife's 535 wagon too.

Have a similar complaint on the dimming though. On the Volt, I could dim the screens to acceptable night-time levels. I can't quite get as low on the ELR, even in the "off" position. I click it up just above off though, otherwise you lose the cool-blue footwell and door lamp strips.
Here's a comparison of my ELR's reverse camera at night (blurry image) to my Toyota Rav4 EV's reverse camera under the exact same conditions (just different sides of the driveway).

Light Sky Lens flare Space

Vehicle Car Trunk Mid-size car Automotive window part

Cadillac should be ashamed and embarrassed that a $50k compliance car (which one can buy currently for ~$38k after non-tax incentives) has such a fundamental feature like this that is so much better than my $79k car. The Volt's camera curse continues...alas.

:mad:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
For comparison, here's the Rav4 EV's camera this morning, then the ELR's camera with the Instrument Panel Illumination Control Thumbwheel all the way down, and then the ELR's camera with the illumination thumbwheel all the way up. As you can see, if the ELR would just default to full illumination (ignoring the thumbwheel setting), it rivals the Rav4 EV's camera for this comparison. That's one of the biggest problems with this camera system in both the Volt and ELR: the screen doesn't adjust the brightness and contrast independently of the illumination thumbwheel and day/night mode.

Vehicle Luxury vehicle Technology Car Windshield

Sport venue Stadium Photography

Sport venue Photography Daylighting Skatepark Stadium

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Here are three images from my 2012 Chevy Volt's reverse camera for comparison:

Daytime
Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Tire Auto part

Night (with illumination control thumbwheel dialed all the way down)
Vehicle Space Car

Night (with illumination control dialed all the way up)
Luxury vehicle Space Auto part Heat Games

As you can see, the 2012 Volt is the worst of the bunch. But, as demonstrated in post #21 above, the ELR's nighttime image also leaves a lot to be desired when compared to other cars. At least the ELR's daytime image under full illumination and optimal lighting conditions is excellent.

The Volt has the same problem as the ELR (which the Rav4 EV and most other cars don't have): the display does not automatically revert to full brightness for the reverse camera image. As these images demonstrate, that negatively affects the image quality.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts