GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to push the seat back button "up" like on older BMW's to raise the headrest to find that it squeezes the side bolsters instead. Excellent!

Start up/shut down sounds are even more out of Star Trek

It has a head-up display (only 1 function I think) that I was unaware of that flashes 4 very bright red lights up on the glass if approaching something too rapidly.

Light blue led lighting is in the footwells and behind the carbon fiber strips.

Cool stuff so far.

·
Administrator
21,121 Posts
Cool! Thanks for the report, D-fiant. I take it you now own one of these ELR beauties?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Went to push the seat back button "up" like on older BMW's to raise the headrest to find that it squeezes the side bolsters instead. Excellent!
Do you have the Kona brown seats with the 20-way adjustments? I don't remember seeing a side bolster control in the model I drove, but then I wasn't looking for it. Congrats on getting an ELR! I hope Cadillac retroactively applies its free EVSE promotion so you can take advantage of it.

Have you noticed if the regen paddles provide additional deceleration when you're in "L"?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Blast,

Thanks! The dealer said the charger was coming my way. The regen paddles recover about twice the juice than leaving in low. A good video of that can be found here: http://www.mycadillacelr.com/cadillac-elr-regen-on-demand-v-s-l-mode/ I've found that it brings me to a stop rapidly (I find myself using the brakes much less than I did in the Volt even!) regardless of the speed I'm going whereas in L in the Volt wouldn't work as well from higher speeds.

I do have the Kona. If you press the seat back button "up" (towards the ceiling) it squishes the side bolsters in. It also felt softer than the cream leather in the other I saw, but can't verify other than anecdotal.

Regards,

Do you have the Kona brown seats with the 20-way adjustments? I don't remember seeing a side bolster control in the model I drove, but then I wasn't looking for it. Congrats on getting an ELR! I hope Cadillac retroactively applies its free EVSE promotion so you can take advantage of it.

Have you noticed if the regen paddles provide additional deceleration when you're in "L"?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
This article states that the charger being offered is a Cadillac-branded Bosch (SPX) Power XPress:
http://blog.caranddriver.com/batter...tation-for-first-1000-elr-buyers/#more-136595

Is that any better (or worse) than the Ecotality Blink I currently have installed?

http://www.pluginnow.com/power-xpress (HTML)
vs.
http://www.blinknetwork.com/media/kit/Blink L2 Wall Mount Charger.pdf (PDF)

If the Cadillac/Bosch charger is just as good, and comes with a brand new warranty, I may just replace my Blink.

·
Administrator
21,121 Posts
This article states that the charger being offered is a Cadillac-branded Bosch (SPX) Power XPress:
http://blog.caranddriver.com/batter...tation-for-first-1000-elr-buyers/#more-136595

Is that any better (or worse) than the Ecotality Blink I currently have installed?

http://www.pluginnow.com/power-xpress (HTML)
vs.
http://www.blinknetwork.com/media/kit/Blink%20L2%20Wall%20Mount%20Charger.pdf (PDF)

If the Cadillac/Bosch charger is just as good, and comes with a brand new warranty, I may just replace my Blink.
Talk about lesser of evils! A unit from a bankrupt company vs one from a company with a history of many 1 year warranty issues!

I know we have had at least one member buy this Bosch unit, Blastphemy. I don't recall any reports on it's durability, etc. Of course I don't think it's been out a year. The big question is warranty. If the ELR includes installation, then you get a 3 year. Otherwise, be prepared to pay Bosch an overly inflated install price to get the warranty. Otherwise they are "1 year and good luck!"

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In flat land FL, I regularly see 42-44... If no heat or A/C, can get very high 40's if the highway is avoided. The volt (early 2011 production) was regularly 39-41 with mid 40's often.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
One surprise I had was that the ELR doesn't come with Siri Eyes Free built into the C.U.E. system, even though it does come on the 2014 CTS, 2015 ATS, and several Chevrolet models (including newer 2014 Volts).

The C.U.E. system is extremely unresponsive when skipping music tracks (using the steering wheel controls) on my USB-connected iPhone. Some aspects of C.U.E. are very quick, but others are downright sluggish. Voice commands take forever to process, but they're usually accurately interpreted on the first try.

Another problem is that the ELR-specific Infotainment C.U.E. manual referenced in the Owner's manual (on page 7-1) is actually not included with the car! I have a call in to the ELR Concierge line to see what's up with that. It's a good thing I'm quick with a computer and can figure out how to set up the car the way I like, but I'm totally lost on the voice commands syntax; I still haven't been able to play a specific track on my iPhone using voice commands.

Hopefully there will be a C.U.E. software update in the future that adds the missing Siri functionality and speeds up the system. And it'd be nice if it came with a full manual that isn't just the generic Infotainment guide.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Drove my ELR for the first time at night, and was surprised at how bright the nav screen was at its lowest setting. On my Volt, I can dial it down to near fully dark, but the ELR doesn't let me lower the brightness that much, or even close to it. It's very distracting, and turning off the display completely only lasts about 10 seconds, until the car decides it wants to turn it on again for some unknown reason. Sometimes it's the nav giving directions, but other times the nav keeps going without turning on the screen; or I don't have the nav running at all yet the screen still turns on! I'm gonna have to re-read the manual to see if I'm missing something, here.

The dimming is also a problem with the reverse camera, since - just like the Volt - the camera image doesn't adjust to optimum brightness independently of the dimness setting for the entire system.

Finally, it's the first time I've really looked at the camera image while backing up and, I gotta say, it's disappointing. The image looks like a Photoshop "blur" filter has been applied, and the contrast is mediocre. This camera isn't as bad as my 2012 Volt's camera, but it's sure subpar as compared to my wife's Rav4 EV and the Infinitis I drove since 2007. I've tried cleaning the lens, making sure there isn't a decal over the lens for protection, and trying the camera in different light, but it still looks "blah." Anyone else with an ELR getting this quality of image, or is yours stellar and I should be taking this in to the dealership?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All's good here... although the door lights...

Blast,

Back-up camera is waaaaaaaay better than my '11 Volt's was. Better than the wife's 535 wagon too.

Have a similar complaint on the dimming though. On the Volt, I could dim the screens to acceptable night-time levels. I can't quite get as low on the ELR, even in the "off" position. I click it up just above off though, otherwise you lose the cool-blue footwell and door lamp strips.

Nearing 1000 miles already; enjoying them all!

Regards,

Drove my ELR for the first time at night, and was surprised at how bright the nav screen was at its lowest setting. On my Volt, I can dial it down to near fully dark, but the ELR doesn't let me lower the brightness that much, or even close to it. It's very distracting, and turning off the display completely only lasts about 10 seconds, until the car decides it wants to turn it on again for some unknown reason. Sometimes it's the nav giving directions, but other times the nav keeps going without turning on the screen; or I don't have the nav running at all yet the screen still turns on! I'm gonna have to re-read the manual to see if I'm missing something, here.

The dimming is also a problem with the reverse camera, since - just like the Volt - the camera image doesn't adjust to optimum brightness independently of the dimness setting for the entire system.

Finally, it's the first time I've really looked at the camera image while backing up and, I gotta say, it's disappointing. The image looks like a Photoshop "blur" filter has been applied, and the contrast is mediocre. This camera isn't as bad as my 2012 Volt's camera, but it's sure subpar as compared to my wife's Rav4 EV and the Infinitis I drove since 2007. I've tried cleaning the lens, making sure there isn't a decal over the lens for protection, and trying the camera in different light, but it still looks "blah." Anyone else with an ELR getting this quality of image, or is yours stellar and I should be taking this in to the dealership?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
There's an "Illumination Control Wheel" to the lower left of the steering wheel (next to the parking brake control) that can dial up or down the brightness, but only at night. Problem is, as you've discovered, the screens don't get dim enough at night and are very distracting.

I've already contacted my ELR Adviser at (855) 422-3357 and complained. I recommend everyone with an ELR call the Concierge and complain about the too-bright LCD screens. And for good measure, complain that the illumination wheel control doesn't work during the daytime.

Are you actually able to dial that control wheel down to the point that it "clicks" to an 'off' position? My wheel doesn't do that; it rolls down all the way, but doesn't go any farther to the point that it latches or switches off. I tried pretty hard to get it to do that, but didn't want to force it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Blast,

It doesn't set into a detent or anything like that. All the way down is "off," and slightly "up" returns the blue door lights for me. Sorry for the confusion!

Regards,

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I spoke with my ELR Advisor this morning and reported three problems:

1) The screen cannot be dimmed enough at night, even with the Instrument Panel Illumination Control Thumbwheel all the way down.

2) The Illumination Control Thumbwheel doesn't work during the day, and going to Settings --> Display --> Mode --> Night doesn't enable it.

3) If I go to Settings --> Display --> Turn Off Display, the screen doesn't stay off! I'm not touching it (or any other controls aside from the accelerator, brake, regen paddles, and steering wheel), but it refuses to remain off, both at night and during the day. Does this also happen to you, D-fiant?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Blast,

Same on 1 & 2 above. I don't have the problem in 3 though... I'm only guessing here, do you have the "activate when hand approaches screen" function turned on? If so, it may "wake" it up whenever your hand nearest on the wheel moves? Just guessing though; no insight.

1100 gas-free miles so far... and I agree with you on your other posts: worth every penny to me. (prepare for the two usual suspects to state I should have gotten the Tesla and how bad a value the ELR is in three, two, oh wait, I don't give a...") It's what I wanted before the Volt hit dealerships. Though the Volt was/is an amazing car... this is the one I always wanted. Converj to ELR is probably one of the closest concept-to-reality vehicles I've seen since the '97 boxster... excluding predictable ones like the New (or New, new) beetle.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I've tried it both with Proximity Sensing on and off, and it doesn't make a difference. Even with Proximity Sensing on, when I move my hand towards the turned-off display, nothing happens (when it's working). I can't determine what possible stimulus is causing the screen to turn back on after being turned off. There's no message being displayed, so it's not waking up to give me information.

Even with Proximity Sensing off, the screen turns back on randomly. It happens when I'm on the highway, sitting at a stoplight not moving (neither me nor the car), or parked. Sometimes it's off for 3-5 minutes, other times it only stays off for seconds. When I drive home today, I'm going to try it with the radio off to see if that makes a difference.

BTW, did you know the stereo power button is really just a "mute" button unless you hold it for a few seconds? Here I thought I was turning off the audio system, which should pause my iPod, but when I turned it back "on," I was on a completely different album! So I guess it's the same nonsense that occurs in the Volt, which is rather annoying.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Blast,

Did know about the mute/off function. The dealer had forwarded me PDF's of the complete manuals before I picked up the car so I had some night-time reading.

You may on to something with the audio. Try turning the entire system "off"... maybe the screen re-illuminates between songs or stations? Best of luck on it. If you find the solution, please share.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Interesting...I drove home with the air conditioning off, and the screen never turned back on (except for when I was in reverse and the parking camera came on, but that did not cause the display to stay on once I was in drive).

After 15 miles, as I was nearing my house, I turned on the A/C and then turned off the display. The screen immediately turned back on. I turned it off again, and it immediately turned on. I tried a third time, and this time the screen stayed off for about two minutes. But then it came on again.

Everything else was the same as when I drove to work, so the air conditioning may be the culprit! I have no idea why it would cause the screen to keep turning on, and I'll need to test this for a few days to make sure it's actually the cause, but at least now I'm hopeful that the problem can be identified and rectified.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Interesting...I drove home with the air conditioning off, and the screen never turned back on (except for when I was in reverse and the parking camera came on, but that did not cause the display to stay on once I was in drive).
Sounds not too dissimilar to the Volt "feature" on the 2012 where turning off the radio, then trying to use any function requiring the center display turns the radio back on.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
After 15 miles, as I was nearing my house, I turned on the A/C and then turned off the display. The screen immediately turned back on. I turned it off again, and it immediately turned on. I tried a third time, and this time the screen stayed off for about two minutes. But then it came on again.
I've narrowed down this problem with the screen spontaneously turning on after pressing "Turn Off Display" in Settings. If the air conditioning is set to either Eco, Comfort, or Auto, the display screen will not stay off. I can run the A/C on "Min" with Auto off, however, and the screen does not turn on by itself. If the A/C is off completely, the screen will never turn on spontaneously.

Does anyone else with an ELR have this problem? Turn on the A/C to Auto Eco or Auto Comfort, and then go to Settings --> Display --> Turn Off Display and see if your screen stays dark for more than five minutes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts