GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to recommend that, if the horn must be used to acknowledge plug-in charging, an option be presented to suppress the charging confirmation horn honk- perhaps on the same screen where we have to change the default amps from 8 to 12.

For some people the honking probably does not pose a problem. My garage happens to be under my neighbor's bedroom window so when I come home late in the evening I absolutely cringe as I plug in my car because I know the horn will sound. It's so rude that sometimes I'll just drive on gasoline the next day to avoid disturbing my neighbors.

And what makes it worse, is that I use time of day and departure time scheduling. The later at night a charge schedule Volt driver comes home, the closer it is to the scheduled AM departure time, and the more likely they are to get the dreaded quadruple "not-e-nuff-time" warning honk. As if one honk at 10PM isn't bad enough, four honks at 1AM will surely wake the neighbors.

Please add a way to turn that thing off in future models. Even if it has to be set each time it would be better than having to not charge at all to avoid the rude honking at night.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Agree about honking

Yes, please GM enable suppression of honking on charge. And why couldn't this be an update via software, rather than a new feature for future model years?

·
4,866 Posts
I'd like to recommend that, if the horn must be used to acknowledge plug-in charging, an option be presented to suppress the charging confirmation horn honk- perhaps on the same screen where we have to change the default amps from 8 to 12.

For some people the honking probably does not pose a problem. My garage happens to be under my neighbor's bedroom window so when I come home late in the evening I absolutely cringe as I plug in my car because I know the horn will sound. It's so rude that sometimes I'll just drive on gasoline the next day to avoid disturbing my neighbors.

And what makes it worse, is that I use time of day and departure time scheduling. The later at night a charge schedule Volt driver comes home, the closer it is to the scheduled AM departure time, and the more likely they are to get the dreaded quadruple "not-e-nuff-time" warning honk. As if one honk at 10PM isn't bad enough, four honks at 1AM will surely wake the neighbors.

Please add a way to turn that thing off in future models. Even if it has to be set each time it would be better than having to not charge at all to avoid the rude honking at night.
I have a possible work around, though not ideal.

I find that my 2011 Volt does not honk when the following conditions are ALL true:
- Using my Level 1 charger
- Plug the charger into the Volt BEFORE plugging the charger into the electrical outlet
- Charge set to delayed charging, so it doesn't start charging immediately

With this combo, the light on the dash just starts blinking. You could then force a "Charge immediately" through OnStar and have it start charging, with no horn (I presume).

It may also work with a Level 2 charger if you cut power to the Level 2 and plug into the car first, then apply power to the Level 2 again. Regardless, I do know that the combination above works, I get no horn chirp plugging in like this at work.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have a 2012 Volt. It never honks when I plug it in to charge. It did when I first bought it, but I remember I made a change through the configuration settings on the center stack. Interesting...

EDIT: I checked last night when I got home. I am mistaken on the above. I think I'm just used to hearing the single horn chirp (I always charge immediately) I block it out. Sorry for any confusion my post above may have caused. I also agree it would be nice to turn it off - or at use more of a simple "electronic beep" for it.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Agree completely. There is no upside I can see to having a honk, unless, perhaps, the driver is blind.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I agree that the car honks way too much. I don't have the same problem with neighbors being close to my garage, but I have also noticed that, even though I have disabled the "left remote in vehicle" warning in the configuration, I still get the warning when I close the hatch door while my wife is in the car with her key. Why does this car have to be so noisy?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Chevrolet, please add me to the list of people who want an option to suppress the annoying charge honk.
In fact, it is my opinion that the horn should only be used for two things: As a driver's horn, and as a theft-alarm.
I don't mind Chevy using the horn for other alerts, but please, for the love of silence, allow me the option to turn them off.

I have a 2013 Volt, and I would very much like to see this fixed in my vehicle via software update.

·
Administrator
20,236 Posts
We've had people *think* they turned off the car (but didn't) who came back later to find the car running, engine on. The lack of a horn honk is an audible clue the car was not charging. Belt and suspenders I suppose given there is also a dash light.

I do listen for the horn honk, it has saved me a few times.

The Configure controls do not have an option for this, at least on MY 2011.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We've had people *think* they turned off the car (but didn't) who came back later to find the car running, engine on. The lack of a horn honk is an audible clue the car was not charging. Belt and suspenders I suppose given there is also a dash light.

I do listen for the horn honk, it has saved me a few times.

The Configure controls do not have an option for this, at least on MY 2011.
I agree, but inversely- I think the alert should be a honk when I walk away with the key and leave it running instead of the alert being the absence of a honk when I plug it in while it's running.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I find that my 2011 Volt does not honk when the following conditions are ALL true:
- Using my Level 1 charger
- Plug the charger into the Volt BEFORE plugging the charger into the electrical outlet
- Charge set to delayed charging, so it doesn't start charging immediately

With this combo, the light on the dash just starts blinking. You could then force a "Charge immediately" through OnStar and have it start charging, with no horn (I presume).
Thank you. I believe that single honk is immediate charging "now", delayed charging is a double honk "de-lay", and insufficient time is 4 "not-e-nuff-time".

I'll try your suggestion of plugging it in the car first, wall second- with delayed charging active. Fingers crossed!

·
4,866 Posts
Thank you. I believe that single honk is immediate charging "now", delayed charging is a double honk "de-lay", and insufficient time is 4 "not-e-nuff-time".

I'll try your suggestion of plugging it in the car first, wall second- with delayed charging active. Fingers crossed!
You're welcome; let me know if it works.

This is normal occurrence on my car whenever I plug in at work in the manner described and with delayed charging postponing the charge. As a subtle clarification, I always have delayed departure charging set, not any rate-based delayed charging.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It should have been a quieter electronic type beep, not an actual horn honk, or the easiest option, make it user programmable to be turned on/off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As a new Volt owner, 2013, this is the worst quality of a great car. It is so insulting to have car programming assume that we are stupid or live in crime ridden areas where leaving your keys in the car is crazy. Haven't bought a domestic car in awhile and thought these nanny events was part of a possible prejudice of foreign car companies that assumed that 'Murica is the way it looks in the movies or reality teevee.

·
Registered
906 Posts
As a new Volt owner, 2013, this is the worst quality of a great car. It is so insulting to have car programming assume that we are stupid or live in crime ridden areas where leaving your keys in the car is crazy. Haven't bought a domestic car in awhile and thought these nanny events was part of a possible prejudice of foreign car companies that assumed that 'Murica is the way it looks in the movies or reality teevee.
huh?? you can turn off the remote left in car horn beeps.. however the charger beeps I dont think you can suppress.. which is a bit of a pain as my garage is near my roomates bedroom so i wake him up when I plug my volt in to charge sometimes...
-Christopher

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Allow suppression of ALL horn beeps. I just pulled into the garage (tight fit) and had to restart to move up a couple inches. I got some kind of triple beep that never happened before.

All these horn beeps make for a lesser experience.

I tried the 'plug in car and then power on the L2 thing' and it still beeped.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts