GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just completed a year long project of customizing my 2012 Volt. My first time posting here, and I hope you enjoy seeing some of the possibilities! I took quite a few pictures, but it will only allow me to post 5 at a time. (Photo Album is now available through my profile) Since this is my first post here I am just trying to get it up right!

F-44A Rapier Features:

-2 radar detectors
-2 pitot tubes (airspeed measurement)
-2 deer warning whistles
-2 Front Grill Fog Lights
-HID Headlight upgrade (8,000k)
-Switchback front turn signal upgrade (60-60)
-Led Headlight Accenting
-Hood fender vents
-Custom rear wing
-HUD GPS Nav
-Constant HD rear view camera/mirror
-Forward recording drive cam
-Indicated Airspeed Gauge
-Glare Shield
-2 Anti blind spot mirror, over shoulder both sides of windshield
-G Meter Force Measurement Gauge
-Interior blue neon tubes/ LED's
-Replaced interior white with interior blue dome
-Underbody glow kit (blue)
-PA loudspeaker with buzzer
-Piano gloss black door post covers
-Chrome door handle accenting
-Chrome door guards
-Traffic Emergency Amber lights (visor, rear window, roof)
-White mirror mounted strobe lights
-Double tinted windows (1 layer clear heat repelling film all around) (1 layer limo tint on all but windshield)
-Voltshelf 3.1 cargo cover
-Windshield antennae for scanner system
-"pull to eject" gag stickers on seat adjustment handle, and rear passenger roof handles

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sure does, and then some! I recently added an album under my profile with the rest of the photos. Still trying to get the images rotated somehow. Apparently the iPad doesn't have that option.

·
Administrator
20,150 Posts
White strobe lights mounted on the mirror I can understand, we all need those. :) But I am curious why you need these:
-2 radar detectors
-Hood fender vents
-Indicated Airspeed Gauge
-G Meter Force Measurement Gauge
-PA louder speaker with buzzer
-Traffic Emergency Amber lights (visor, rear window, roof)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as the Amber lights, they are needed for first responder work I do. The hood vents are only for appearance. The airspeed gauge is very useful since high wind resistance runs down the battery so fast. Nice to be able to see moment by moment how that changes. The PA and G force meter are not needed. They were added just for fun!

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
A few questions about the Kawell "fogs":

Are they the KAWELL® 18W 7.5" DC 9-32V 6000K 1200LM?
How much brighter is the road ahead with these?
How did you mount them?
Are they spots or floods?
They're not pointed straight ahead. Is this an advantage?
Are these DOT approved?
Any special information on what circuit(s) you use to power or switch them?
In your night photos they look yellow. The ones I'm looking at say 6000K. Did you get a lower Kelvin version?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A few questions about the Kawell "fogs":

Are they the KAWELL® 18W 7.5" DC 9-32V 6000K 1200LM?
KAWELL® 18W 7.5" DC 9-32V 3000K 1200LM 60 Degree LED Amber Light for ATV/Jeep/boat/suv/truck/car/4x4 Amber LED Flood beam light bar

How much brighter is the road ahead with these?
It's surprising how many more road reflectors light up when you turn these on at a distance at night, especially in rain.

How did you mount them?
I had these professionally installed at a custom shop. They are attached to the front grille.

Are they spots or floods?
These are the flood (Amber) version

They're not pointed straight ahead. Is this an advantage?
These are angled slightly outward to illuminate the road edge markings and reflectors in bad weather/low visibility/night conditions. Really works great!

Are these DOT approved?
A good question. I wasn't able to find any information on this. I made sure they do not blind driver's ahead, and the primarily illuminate the sides of the road.

Any special information on what circuit(s) you use to power or switch them?
Unfortunately since I had this professionally done, I am not sure where they hooked in the power. I had this wired to a toggle switch that I had to purchase separately.

In your night photos they look yellow. The ones I'm looking at say 6000K. Did you get a lower Kelvin version?
These are the 3000k. They are supposed to burn Amber for bad weather rather than white for driving lights.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I forgot to list these...

-Black Piano gloss reflective door panel covers
-Door projector welcome mat (Chevy Logo x 4 doors)
-Chrome door guards

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
As far as the Amber lights, they are needed for first responder work I do. The hood vents are only for appearance. The airspeed gauge is very useful since high wind resistance runs down the battery so fast. Nice to be able to see moment by moment how that changes. The PA and G force meter are not needed. They were added just for fun!
OK. So if you encounter high wind resistance, what do you do about it? Turn around and go somewhere else?

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

Are these DOT approved?
A good question. I wasn't able to find any information on this. I made sure they do not blind driver's ahead, and the primarily illuminate the sides of the road.
That could be an issue with oncoming traffic. Usually these have "for off-road use only" warnings. I did not see this warning when I looked them up on Amazon, so I'm not sure.

They look better than most offerings, I'll give them that. I might hook these through a relay into my brights circuit.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I am driving on the highway I may choose to take surface streets instead. Or maybe find a truck to draft. It is interesting to see how the wind resistance changes simply from following a different type of vehicle. If I can keep the indicated airspeed at around 40 or so on the highway even when driving 65mph, I can drive just as far as if I was in town on electric. When I decided to put it in I didn't realize just how much I would use it, or how helpful the information can be. At least I know if my electric range is going to be reduced due to the wind conditions.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies.

That could be an issue with oncoming traffic. Usually these have "for off-road use only" warnings. I did not see this warning when I looked them up on Amazon, so I'm not sure.

They look better than most offerings, I'll give them that. I might hook these through a relay into my brights circuit.
Yeah I certainly didn't want to blind anyone, so I made sure to aim them low and to the edges of the road. My friend and I drove by it in his car to see if it was glaring, and it wasn't bad at all. Was certainly worth it, as it is nice to have when a monsoon starts out on the highway. I am still learning the ins and outs of the forum system here. Were you able to view the album I created in my profile? I didn't want to spam too many pictures on the thread here, but I have no idea if the album is viewable in my profile or not.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So how much range did the wing cost? Sort of working at cross purposes there.

;)
Actually I was quite surprised that I did not lose any mpg to the rear wing. I have taken this car on many trips to CA from Vegas, and my mpg hadn't changed at all. The wing itself doesn't have much of an angle on it, and it was added only for looks and not to actually force the rear end down. The air seems to flow over it just fine. I expected the roof bar to affect the mpg more, but that didn't have a noticeable change either. I am still averaging about 36mpg depending on conditions and how I drive it. The compatible wing I used was from an '05 Celica. The comparison in measurements was amazing, and it fits exactly right!

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Were you able to view the album I created in my profile?
That's how I knew what brand you used - album photos.

The wing and light bar may be helping your aerodynamics, by swirling air better down the back. Swirling air fills the rear drag areas better from what I hear.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's how I knew what brand you used - album photos.

The wing and light bar may be helping your aerodynamics, by swirling air better down the back. Swirling air fills the rear drag areas better from what I hear.
I wasn't sure if you grabbed the brand from one of the thread photos. Nice to know the album is working. Yeah the aerodynamics still seem great. I made sure to keep a record of my mpg before and after the mod, and I can't see any sizeable difference. Certainly gives the car the different look I was after.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I forgot to list these...

-Black Piano gloss reflective door panel covers
-Door projector welcome mat (Chevy Logo x 4 doors)
-Chrome door guards
HID headlights? They look very bluish for OEM halogens. Mine are bluish too, but from another method. Click the first link in my signature for details.

Any reason you haven't dipped the grille or other parts yet?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HID headlights? They look very bluish for OEM halogens. Mine are bluish too, but from another method. Click the first link in my signature for details.

Any reason you haven't dipped the grille or other parts yet?
Actually those are just the stock headlights. They light up the road great. I wasn't so sure about putting in some really bright ones, since I don't want to blind other drivers. I hadn't considered having any parts dipped, and at this point I will probably leave those alone. I wanted to make a fun gadget "future car", and it has plenty of fun things to play with. I'll be sure to check that info on the headlights though. More information is always a good thing!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Picture #28 looks like a thru-the-glass antenna mounted on the windshield. But I can't see it in any other photos. Was it added later, or, am I misinterpreting what I'm seeing?

That was one of the last things to be added. It is a through the glass antennae, and works really well. It is only in a couple of pictures in the album, as it was a bit of a last minute add on.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts