GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I test drove the volt yesterday for about 10 minutes with the A/C on low. After the test drive I went to check out the legroom in the rear and noticed that it was incredibly hot in the back seat. Especially with the sun beating down the rear hatch. Is the A/C sufficient enough to keep the rear passengers cool? I also noticed that the vehicle scrapes alot.. How expensive is this rubber dam to replace?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
This behaviour probably varies from car to car - but I've always suspected that running the A/C on "recirculate" would tend to cheat the back seats because the cool air coming out of the vents would be sucked back into the HVAC system behind the dash instead of traveling to the exhaust vents which are normally located somewhere toward the rear of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
So I test drove the volt yesterday for about 10 minutes with the A/C on low. After the test drive I went to check out the legroom in the rear and noticed that it was incredibly hot in the back seat. Especially with the sun beating down the rear hatch. Is the A/C sufficient enough to keep the rear passengers cool? I also noticed that the vehicle scrapes alot.. How expensive is this rubber dam to replace?
You don't say what year you were driving. The 2016 & 2017 models have vents in the floor which should help some. I have a 2012. It is significantly hotter in the rear by several degrees over the front. My two daughters kept complaining about being hot. My wife and I would be cool or cold, so as an experiment I rode in the back under similar circumstances even after having the windows tinted (which helped some). Yep, they were right. It is hotter. My only solution was to purchase a noggle. This attaches to a vent in the front and allows them to get some direct air. Not ideal, but it works. People that say it is not hot in the rear probably haven't taken the time to do what I did. I now know perfectly well why my daughters were complaining about being hot. They were complaining because it really is hotter. I tried everything too by adjusting the vents every way possible and blasting it on comfort at 100%. My air works great. It is very cold, but it is very difficult to overcome that hatch area. So, short answer is, yes, it is hotter in the back seat.

I didn't address the rubber dam. NO issues. That thing is pretty much indestructible unless you do something really stupid.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You don't say what year you were driving. The 2016 & 2017 models have vents in the floor which should help some. I have a 2012. It is significantly hotter in the rear by several degrees over the front. My two daughters kept complaining about being hot. My wife and I would be cool or cold, so as an experiment I rode in the back under similar circumstances even after having the windows tinted (which helped some). Yep, they were right. It is hotter. My only solution was to purchase a noggle. This attaches to a vent in the front and allows them to get some direct air. Not ideal, but it works. People that say it is not hot in the rear probably haven't taken the time to do what I did. I now know perfectly well why my daughters were complaining about being hot. They were complaining because it really is hotter. I tried everything too by adjusting the vents every way possible and blasting it on comfort at 100%. My air works great. It is very cold, but it is very difficult to overcome that hatch area. So, short answer is, yes, it is hotter in the back seat.
I drove a 2016 yesterday. Besides being hotter temperature wise, I think I was most bothered by the direct sunlight to the back of the neck.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
The infrared blocking window tints help a lot but they cost more.
Find a tint shop with the 3M Crystalline demonstration display box thingy on the wall. It is amazing technology !!
In fact I only used the Crystalline on that big back glass and inexpensive matching tint on the rest of the side windows.
You can't feel the difference between holding your hand in the sun or shade below the that window.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Yes, at least in Gen 1 (2012) the rear is much hotter than the front. My wife complains that she is freezing and the kids are still sweating.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
No joke: the deciding factor that convinced my wife to OK the C-Max Energi lease a couple of years ago was the rear vents in the C-Max.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
It is a standard configuration with the A/C vents on the dash and none in the rear seat area which is typical for many cars. Rear seat passengers get only secondary cooling. The best way to increase their comfort is to select the vent setting that blows at face level, make sure that both center vents are open, and direct them to blow between the front seats. Use max cooling power and a higher fan speed. You can also try to direct the other two vents in a helpful direction as well, maybe high around the outside of the seats, although it is a small target there. They should get some reasonable cooling eventually.

Keeping the car cool either by parking in the shade or remote starting will help.

If you are getting sun load through the hatch directly onto passengers, it will be hard to counter that with A/C alone. The tint suggestions will help with that.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm not sure if I would call HVAC lacking rear vents a "standard configuration", as all of the car's I've ever owned had rear vents including a 1989 Honda, a 1992 honda, a 1995 Toyota, a 2001 Subaru, a 2005 Subaru, and a 2012 Ford. I haven't ridden in the back, but I was quite surprised by the power draw of the AC during my commute home yesterday. The system had an initial draw of 8 kW; imagine, an 11 horsepower compressor motor! During my 30 minute freeway commute, it wound up being almost 10% of my total energy use. It might be possible to add noticeably to this car's range by adding tint and perhaps better insulation in hotter climates.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I would agree that rear vents is not standard and I'm surprised to read that all of those cars had them. I've only owned a couple higher end cars that had them. My wife's 2015 Outback doesn't have them (I believe it is available only on the Limited models).
My daughter frequently complains when I put her in the back seat that it's really hot, which is definitely understandable considering the size and position of the rear window.
I was actually thinking about getting a rear window shade to try to prevent it, but read a lot of negative reviews about visibility (do we really want worse rear visibility), fitment and the thing falling down.
Has anyone here tried one?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
given the basic principle of "cooled air falls, heated air rises" the setup that seems to work best for me is to do the following.

Max cool (comfort mode)
Max fan
Recirculate
Vents
then aim all of the vents at the roof so that it blows cooler air up and over which will then "fall" onto the passengers in the rear.

When I do this the top of my head gets cool, but that's okay with me.

I have also heard really good things about the 3M Crystalline tint and how much heat it blocks even with the clear stuff.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I would agree that rear vents is not standard and I'm surprised to read that all of those cars had them. I've only owned a couple higher end cars that had them. My wife's 2015 Outback doesn't have them (I believe it is available only on the Limited models).
My daughter frequently complains when I put her in the back seat that it's really hot, which is definitely understandable considering the size and position of the rear window.
I was actually thinking about getting a rear window shade to try to prevent it, but read a lot of negative reviews about visibility (do we really want worse rear visibility), fitment and the thing falling down.
Has anyone here tried one?
Perhaps it's because I've never had the base model of anything. My '89 accord was the LXi model, with power windows, AC, cruise, etc. Great car, really.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Both my 2013s will keep the back seats cool. The only time my kids have complained is if we have the fan turned down too low due to the wife getting to cooled in the front. However, I can keep them plenty cool on ECO mode set at 73 with the fan on 3 or 4 and the vents pointed toward the back instead of the driver or front passenger. A little higher for the fan if the car has been outside for a while.

Keep in mind I did have some nice window tint added right after purchase, so that probably helps.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The 3M window tint really made the difference for me. My kids stay cool in the back. I got it right before we hit a long streak of 90 deg days so it's been a life saver.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
It's my experience that most cars without rear vents get too hot in the back unless you deliberately keep the fan on a higher speed. I've also found that most auto climate control systems don't keep the at a high enough speed to keep the rear as comfortable as the front, unless it's a multi-zone system. If I'm by myself in the car Auto is fine. If I have passengers, I keep the fan set a little higher and aim the vents up and towards the back.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Dave, did you have it installed or did you do it yourself?
I had the 3M 70 Crystalline put on my Volt's windshield. Need to be a certified 3M dealer to even get the stuff, so DIY is pretty much out of the question. Cost me $170 for the windshield alone. But the stuff blocks heat like crazy!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts