GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the Volt OEM windshield sunshade. It gets too hot to hold and seems to heat up the car because it radiates heat into the interior. Does anyone have experience with exterior sunshades and can make a product recommendation? Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Agreed. I'm in SoCal and got Air Blue 80 on the windshield, Pinnacle 40 on the driver and passenger doors, and Pinnacle 15 on the rear doors and hatch.

Pinnacle has the best heat rejection per cost and doesn't have a slightly brown tint like the 3M Crystalline. Definitely helps with these hots days on my black car in the sun. And best of all, I don't have to keep sunshades somewhere or bother putting them up or taking them down.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have used custom fit shades from Covercraft (folding) and WeatherTech (rolled). Both are well insulated and I have not found them too hot to handle, at least on on 90+ degree days. They are roughly half the price of the OEM offering. I find the Covercraft is easier to install and remove, while the Weathertech provides a tighter fit covering every bit of glass. I do use the OEM transparent shades on the rear side windows. They offer marginal benefit, blocking a bit of light but not much reduction in heat transfer. As any meaningful level of window tint is prohibited in my state, I choose not to take the risk.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Bought custom cut ones for Volt front and back windows from Heatshield. Work great. Would recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
458 Posts
The car cover is one more option. I used the OEM shades on my 2014 and now the 2017, and it's done a very good job at keeping the interior cool, but yes the shade itself can get hot on extreme days. A 3rd option its to use the remote pre-condition to cool the car 5 minutes before. I do this all the time during the peak summertime here in FL.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The car cover is one more option. I used the OEM shades on my 2014 and now the 2017, and it's done a very good job at keeping the interior cool, but yes the shade itself can get hot on extreme days. A 3rd option its to use the remote pre-condition to cool the car 5 minutes before. I do this all the time during the peak summertime here in FL.
Does the gen 1 windshield sun shade fit the gen 2? As in, that's what you're saying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
458 Posts
No, the windshield has different dimensions between the 2 generations. I had to buy a new one when changing to the 2017.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts